PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense - Open Roster Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I also think that 23 defensive players are pretty well set.
I have 3 DE, 5 DT, 5 LB, 5 CB and 5 S's.

1) I keep Vellano. He has lots of position flexibility, and has done OK.

2) Fleming and Beauharnais have done enough.

3) We don't have a #2 safety, so I kept all 5 pretenders.

4) Siliga is in, but could be on the IR Return List
===

THE LAST TWO POSITIONS

4) One or both positions could go to the offense.

5) If not, the choices for me are from
Jones (and then to the IR Return or not),
Worthy
Smith
White

BOTTOM LINE
I am comfortable with 49 roster spots with 10 days to go.

I didn't watch the entire game last night so I'm curious when Worthy was in the game where was he playing in the base 3-4?

I didn't watch the entire game last night so I'm curious when Worthy was in the game where was he playing in the base 3-4?
I believe all his reps were at DT.

I believe all his reps were at DT.
In the 3-4 though was it LDE or RDE? I'm just curious because I think we keep 6 bigs if we intend to run a 3-4 base.

If we run a 3-4 Ninkovich, Jones, etc. become OLBs so that means we only start 2 of our regular LBs like Mayo, Collins, Hightower. It changes the roster needs a little.

In the 3-4 though was it LDE or RDE? I'm just curious because I think we keep 6 bigs if we intend to run a 3-4 base.

If we run a 3-4 Ninkovich, Jones, etc. become OLBs so that means we only start 2 of our regular LBs like Mayo, Collins, Hightower. It changes the roster needs a little.

I didn't see the game yet, but Captain Stone said that it was left side/LDT in the 4-3. Again, I haven't seen it, but I'm just passing on what he stated.

Last edited:
===

Siligia was seen on one of the "other" fields last week, doing some drills. I think his spot is fine, even if he misses the first few games. Using the IR exempt designation on him would mean that he'd be out until basically the beginning/middle of November.

Chris Jones is supposedly on the mend as well, so I doubt that he's a candidate either.

If they intend to keep with the 3-4, which I anticipate is the case it changes our needs. This would be my defensive roster:

LOLB-(3)-Rob Ninkovich-Donta Hightower-Darius Fleming
LDE-(2)-Tommy Kelly-Jerel Worthy/Joe Vellano
NT-(2)-Vince Wilfork-Sealver Siliga
RDE-(2)-Dominique Easley-Chris Jones
ROLB-(3)-Chandler Jones-Michael Buchanan-Zach Moore
SILB-(2)-Jerod Mayo-Steve Beauharnais
WILB-(2)-Jamie Collins-James Anderson/Chris White
LCB-(2)-Darrelle Revis-Logan Ryan
RCB-(3)-Alfonzo Dennard-Malcolm Butler-Kyle Arrington
FS-(2)-Devin McCourty-Tavon Wilson
SS-(3)-Duron Harmon-Pat Chung-Nate Ebner

Hightower would also be the primary backup for both Mayo and Collins.

LDE, in Kelly's spot - sometimes at a 3-tech, sometimes 5-tech. He looked reasonably stout after his first play, where a smaller OL got under his pads and took him for a welcome back skate.

LDE, in Kelly's spot - sometimes at a 3-tech, sometimes 5-tech. He looked reasonably stout after his first play, where a smaller OL got under his pads and took him for a welcome back skate.
I liked Worthy a lot back in 2012 predraft so I'm excited to see more of him.

If we sign Egnew we will have the market on 2012 second and third round picks that didn't pan out - Wilson, Worthy, Bequette.

I also think that 23 defensive players are pretty well set.
I have 3 DE, 5 DT, 5 LB, 5 CB and 5 S's.

1) I keep Vellano. He has lots of position flexibility, and has done OK.

2) Fleming and Beauharnais have done enough.

3) We don't have a #2 safety, so I kept all 5 pretenders.

===

THE LAST TWO POSITIONS

4) One or both positions could go to the offense.

5) If not, the choices for me are from
Jones (and then to the IR Return or not),
Worthy
Smith
White

BOTTOM LINE
I am comfortable with 49 roster spots with 10 days to go.
I'm not sure how vellano has position flexibility can you explain? Or how he makes the team over jones or smith and probsy even worthy.
5 safeties is too much.

I'm not sure how vellano has position flexibility can you explain? Or how he makes the team over jones or smith and probsy even worthy.
5 safeties is too much.
You have to keep in mind that the majority of our special teams players are generally defensive backs. We have had 11 on the roster at the end of each of the last 2 seasons. For that reason 5 safeties is likely.

You have to keep in mind that the majority of our special teams players are generally defensive backs. We have had 11 on the roster at the end of each of the last 2 seasons. For that reason 5 safeties is likely.

Unless Malcolm Butler gets one of those spots.

If they intend to keep with the 3-4, which I anticipate is the case it changes our needs. This would be my defensive roster:

LOLB-(3)-Rob Ninkovich-Donta Hightower-Darius Fleming
LDE-(2)-Tommy Kelly-Jerel Worthy/Joe Vellano
NT-(2)-Vince Wilfork-Sealver Siliga
RDE-(2)-Dominique Easley-Chris Jones
ROLB-(3)-Chandler Jones-Michael Buchanan-Zach Moore
SILB-(2)-Jerod Mayo-Steve Beauharnais
WILB-(2)-Jamie Collins-James Anderson/Chris White
LCB-(2)-Darrelle Revis-Logan Ryan
RCB-(3)-Alfonzo Dennard-Malcolm Butler-Kyle Arrington
FS-(2)-Devin McCourty-Tavon Wilson
SS-(3)-Duron Harmon-Pat Chung-Nate Ebner

Hightower would also be the primary backup for both Mayo and Collins.
I don't see any way we play a 34 base with this personnel unless it's really just a 43 with one of the DEs standing.
Ninkovich and jones will be the edge rushers.
Unless somehow we an to rush 5 one of them has to be a DE in a 34 alignment unless BB has lost mind and decided to rush 3 300lbers and drop one of those 2 into coverage
We left that man back in 2011 when he decided he needed to sacrifice run stopping size fir pass rushing as the fane continues to become more pass oriented.
Even revis can't cover long enough for a pass rush of Vince Kelly and vellano

I don't see it. Especially with corners taking reps there.
When is the last time we kept 5 safeties? Ever?

I don't see any way we play a 34 base with this personnel unless it's really just a 43 with one of the DEs standing.
Ninkovich and jones will be the edge rushers.
Unless somehow we an to rush 5 one of them has to be a DE in a 34 alignment unless BB has lost mind and decided to rush 3 300lbers and drop one of those 2 into coverage
We left that man back in 2011 when he decided he needed to sacrifice run stopping size fir pass rushing as the fane continues to become more pass oriented.
Even revis can't cover long enough for a pass rush of Vince Kelly and vellano
I tend to agree but it appears to be the direction just the same. I am intrigued by the idea of Easley at RDE and Jones at ROLB.

I don't see it. Especially with corners taking reps there.
When is the last time we kept 5 safeties? Ever?
Last season we had:

McCourty
Gregory
Harmon
Wilson
Ebner
Davis

Ebner is as much a safety as Slater is a WR so it is misleading but just the same he shows as a safety.

I have him on the roster.

I mean, gets one of these "DB/special teams" spots that you are referring to, where you want 5 safeties.

Safety to me, is one of the most intriguing roster spots, due to the unknowns of Ebner, Davis, and possibly one of Chung/Wilson. I honestly have no idea, although I'd go McCourty, Harmon, Chung, and one of Wilson/Ebner/Davis right now---possibly two, depending on who makes it from STs in other positions.

I mean, gets one of these "DB/special teams" spots that you are referring to, where you want 5 safeties.
I have the following defensive backs on the opening roster:

Revis
McCourty
Dennard
Ryan
Arrington
Harmon
Butler
Wilson
Chung
Ebner

I have the following defensive backs on the opening roster:

Revis
McCourty
Dennard
Ryan
Arrington
Harmon
Butler
Wilson
Chung
Ebner

So, I'm assuming that you're going to can one of Ebner/Wilson when Browner comes back then?

I can understand having 5 safeties for the first four weeks if that's the case, with Butler taking over that role when Browner returns, thus cutting it down to 4 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft