PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decided to try the train to the game. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the lot where you park is the site of a weekly tailgate party run by friends of ours (is the lot a steep drop off to a building below the road?). We are always invited but have made it there only a couple of times. We have never tried 495 because it seems like too big a loop from Nashua, plus we usually pick up our friends in Burlington on the way down, but maybe it's time to think outside the box (or the loop). Have fun at the game!

Yes, that's the lot. Getting there via 495 is by far the best way to go.

Last edited:
I recommend that you DO NOT take the train to Gillette. I have done it several times and after last week's experience finally decided never again. The ride is long, slow, unreliable and understaffed. Last week the train from South Station (I boarded in Dedham) was 30 MINUTES LATE arriving in Foxboro. The schedule says it arrives at 12:05 for a 1 p.m. game, we got there at 12:35. Once the train stopped, the damn doors were stuck shut and couldn't be opened from the inside! We had to wait until a rail employee opened them from the outside. We had to practically run to the stadium, and ended up in our seats six minutes before kickoff. But that's not all. Waiting for the train to leave after the game, someone had a heart attack. The conductor issued a plea over the intercom for anyone with medical expertise (you'd think they'd have that covered), and departure was delayed until cops/paramedics arrived to render aid. (I saw the guy carried off on a stretcher from my window.)

Other times I've used the game-day train there have been delay problems for one reason or another. For the sleet/snow Jets game in 2007, it arrived halfway through the first quarter. In another instance there was a track problem that delayed the ride home by at least an hour.

If two of you go to the game it costs $12 each to ride the train plus $4 parking = $28. To me, it's worth paying $40 to park near the stadium knowing you'll get in and out safely and in reasonable time. The only times the train uses that leg of the track from Walpole to Gillette is for Pats games, and it literally crawls slower than most folks can walk. My guess is that the track is poorly maintained and must be traversed very carefully. Mark my words: someday, either that train or the track is going to break down and thousands of people will be stranded. I won't be one of them.
My observation from the stands is that you were lucky to get to your

seat with six minutes to spare. At 12:35 there was a solid line of people

all the way from the stadium to the train. The line moved at a snail's pace

as the people were being frisked prior to entering the stadium. Well

into the first quarter people were still waiting.

My observation from the stands is that you were lucky to get to your

seat with six minutes to spare. At 12:35 there was a solid line of people

all the way from the stadium to the train. The line moved at a snail's pace

as the people were being frisked prior to entering the stadium. Well

into the first quarter people were still waiting.

You're right, the north end zone gates were packed. We hauled our butts up the steps and entered through gates there. Like I said, I'll never use the train again.

We've taken the train a few times from Providence.

Yes, the train runs very slow when it gets to the spur that runs from the main line to the stadium.

Yes, sometimes, the train stops for seemingly no reason or gets delayed.

Personally, for me and my wife, it still beats driving through heavy game traffic, paying $40, trudging up a possibly-cold or wet Route 1, and then having to sit in traffic leaving. On the other hand, keep in mind that it's still a healthy walk from the train to the stadium.

It sucks that you don't get to tailgate. Personally, I think they'd be better served running TWO trains to the game from both South Station and Providence: the current one which tends to get there 30-60 minutes before kickoff, and an earlier train that gets there more like 2 hours beforehand. I would be happy to take, say, a 9am train that got me to the stadium by 11am, giving me time to eat, find tailgating friends, shop the Pro Shop, etc.,. And it would reduce the giant line of train-ers trying to get in at the same time.

The train DOES seem to leave promptly 30 minutes after the game's end. And this can be a problem for you, if it's a.) a close game and b.) you're in the upper deck (the 300s). Those damn ramps themselves seem to take a half-hour to negotiate, especially if everyone leaves at once. Usually we end up splitting with a few minutes to go in the game, just to be able to walk to the train and get there in time. I'd like it better if the train left, say, 45 minutes later (or, again, they had two trains, one that left 30 minutes after game's end and another 60 minutes after).

Basically, either way you slice it (driving or train), there are issues...

The Great Train Debate.....

Well, we came, we tried (the train) but will probably not do it again. Bottom line is the travel time was about the same, although at least I felt more relaxed from not gripping the steering wheel for hours.

We left Nashua at about 9:30 and arrived at Alewife at about 10:15. There was a Red line train waiting so we got to South Station, no problem, about 10:40. There was a big line for tickets for the Pats train, but it moved quickly and we were on board by about 10:50. The train did not leave South Station until about 11:15 (probably to make sure all those people in that line had a chance to get on). It does move pretty slowly, but the foliage was pretty! There are three stops, Back Bay, Dedham and Norwood. We arrived at the stadium at 12:30, so it was a rush to use bathroom, get food and get to seats, but I got there at the start of the National Anthem. One thing they don't say anywhere is that getting off the train (at least in the back cars, where I was) is a 4-5 foot jump, then a trek across some very sharp and uneven rocks. If you have trouble walking or with your knees, I would not recommend the train.

The game ended at 4:30, so the train should have left at 5:00. It didn't leave until 5:30, and it was very crowded. Aisles were full, even though on the way down it seemed everyone had a seat. The crowd was in a good mood, though, considering the outcome of the game. We also sat on the tracks somewhere before the first stop for another 15-20 minutes for some reason. We did not get back to Alewife until 7:00 p.m.

So, it wasn't a horrible experience, but it did not save us any time, which I had hoped it would, and we still ended up rushing to our seats. It actually took us longer to get home than normal. I agree with someone above who said the train would be better if they ran it an hour earlier.

Of course the game was great and ran a little longer than usual, because of an apparently serious injury (hope that guy is okay). Not sure if I would have been more aggravated if the game hadn't turned out so well!!

Have a good night!

There's no freakin' excuse for that damn train getting there at 12:30 (12:35 last week).

Deb, try my Route 495 travel tip next time. I think you can leave Nashua at 9:30 and still be OK, and have enough time to tailgate as well.

There's no freakin' excuse for that damn train getting there at 12:30 (12:35 last week).

Deb, try my Route 495 travel tip next time. I think you can leave Nashua at 9:30 and still be OK, and have enough time to tailgate as well.

Thanks, Tune. My husband and I were discussing this very point as we sat on the tracks somewhere between Foxboro and Norwood. This is going to be our next move. Hopefully it will work out. He is still discussing the "giving up our tickets" angle, but I will get him with tears and the "this is my one splurge on myself!" argument if he seriously persists. :)

Deb: I've been a season ticket holder since '93 as well and live in Lowell, so we're coming from roughly the same direction. The only times I've taken the train in all these years are when coming from the opposite direction with someone from Boston, or when I've been alone -- about six times total. Honestly, it's a roll of the dice getting to the game on time and the train is s-l-o-w. I think you're going about it wrong and here is what I do (and what I recommend):

It takes me 70 minutes to get to the parking lot I use leaving home at 9 a.m. (you should hit Route 3 out of Nashua about 8:20). I go down 495, take the Route 1 North exit, and park in the first private lot on the right (office building) immediately after Dunkin' Donuts (you know you're getting close when you see the state police barracks on your right; DD is at the very next intersection). Parking there is $40 and it's a nice place to tailgate. This lot is a little less than 1.5 miles from the stadium, but it's a much shorter walk than it would seem. I head to the stadium at noon and at 12:20 I'm on the concourse with time to hit the restroom, buy a program and grab a drink. Here's the best part of all: after another 15-20 minute walk back to the lot after the game, you can zip into Route 1 southbound traffic IMMEDIATELY without any wait at all. The cars are moving and you're back on 495 northbound pretty fast.

The problem with getting on the train from where you live is you have to travel too far south and east. If you MUST try it, I strongly suggest one of the last stops -- Dedham or the one after (Needham?). You'll have no problem getting seats at either stop. However you choose to go, I'll be interested in how it works out, so drop me a PM if you can.

All right, Tune I am taking the plunge and going 495 this week. I am picking up tickets from these friends who run the tailgate party, so I will be in "your" lot, hopefully at a reasonable time. Are you going this week? I will be the stressed out Mom with three kids in tow, probably wearing a Mayo jersey (unless I can't find it, which means I will be in anything I can find :))

I'm heading down the 495/rt1 way myself. i think I may park a little closer to the stadium depending on how much traffic there is when I get there. Not a bad day for a walk though.

Someone told me about a trick when leaving down Rt 1. Instead of going all the way down rt 1 to 495, take Rt 140 to the next 495 exit. There should be no traffic. Has anyone tried this before?

140 is a great way to go. It gets you off Rte1 early and travels fairly well. Be prepared to go through Wrentham and Franklin with a feeling of "am I lost?". Just stay on 140 until you see 495. If you're familiar with Franklin, you can jump on 495 earlier off of King St.

Just as a quick aside, what time does the gate actually open? I am thinking about driving down from Halifax probably Saturday night and would want to get into the stadium early Sunday and check it out as I have never been to Gillette..

Just as a quick aside, what time does the gate actually open? I am thinking about driving down from Halifax probably Saturday night and would want to get into the stadium early Sunday and check it out as I have never been to Gillette..

For a 1PM game I believe the gates open around 9AM.

This is about the time of the thread where I remind people of what I would give up just to be 4 hours away from Foxboro...

OK...i'll take the bait...where do you live (general terms if you're concerned about privacy)? You're profile ("Not in Foxborough...") is just a tad (not too much mind you, but just a little bit) vague... :)

Last edited:
OK...i'll take the bait...where do you live (general terms if you're concerned about privacy)? You're profile ("Not in Foxborough...") is just a tad (not too much mind you, but just a little bit) vague... :)

St. Lucie County... about 30-40 miles north of West Palm Beach. Still South Florida. Commuted back down here from Jacksonville Beach, Florida (which was where I was when I made that) when my mom got laid off from her job to help out. Soon enough I'll be back in Jax Beach.

This seems to be a generally helpful thread regarding the logistics of getting to a Pats game.

A Question, then, from someone who now lives outside the area and is looking forward to bringing his family to a Pats game next fall (after paying an arm and a leg for tickets).

I'd plan to get us there the day before and stay right in Foxboro to give my kids the complete experience (i.e., chance to visit the HOF and drop too much money in the Pro Shop and Patriot Place)...in other words, a perfect pigeon for Bob Kraft to pluck. :)

Which hotels in Foxboro are near the stadium? And, could you define "near?" Ten minute walk with kids? Thirty minute walk with kids? Bring plenty of fluids and a GPS walk with kids?

Last edited:
St. Lucie County... about 30-40 miles north of West Palm Beach. Still South Florida. Commuted back down here from Jacksonville Beach, Florida (which was where I was when I made that) when my mom got laid off from her job to help out. Soon enough I'll be back in Jax Beach.

Thanks...didn't mean to be nosy, but you kind of put the topic in play.

I lived in Miami for a year. While I did like South Florida a lot, my wife and I favor the Gulf Coast and talk about relocating to the Sarasota area in some mythical future :rolleyes: . For now, I live in Manhattan after many years in the Hub and have to endure the endless idiocy of Jets fans (Giants fans just seem to be a lot classier). One of our best friends lives in Jacksonville and teaches at the University of North Florida (Now I think it's actually Jacksonville Beach where she lives since she tells us her place is on the Ocean.)

PS: I enjoy your posts.

Last edited:

Can you stop by and pick me up in Moncton? :)

Thanks...didn't mean to be nosy, but you kind of put the topic in play.

I lived in Miami for a year. While I did like South Florida a lot, my wife and I favor the Gulf Coast and talk about relocating to the Sarasota area in some mythical future :rolleyes: . For now, I live in Manhattan after many years in the Hub and have to endure the endless idiocy of Jets fans (Giants fans just seem to be a lot classier). One of our best friends lives in Jacksonville and teaches at the University of North Florida (Now I think it's actually Jacksonville Beach where she lives since she tells us her place is on the Ocean.)

PS: I enjoy your posts.

Oh yeah? I was going to UNF before I had to transfer out and come back down here for a little bit. What is your friend's name and what subject(s) does she teach?

PS: Appreciate it, brotha. The feeling is mutual.

I only took it twice, but I got to South Station half hour before the train was due to leave and I was able to get tickets and a seat. If it's a night game, prepare to get home very late!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back