PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decided to try the train to the game. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Tunescribe, I had a fairly Third World experience. Both times the train was way late and went at about 3 miles an hour; the first time I just got in for the start of the game, the second I missed the first Patriots touchdown. :)D) What was amazing the second time was that, not only was there a huge long line at South Station, they ran out of tickets -- I mean they simply had not enough tickets printed for all of the people who needed to get on the train! That has to be a first, surely.

OTOH, the atmosphere on the train was great -- lots of folks excited (like me) because they rarely get to go to games or this was their first one and all very friendly. I was uptight the first time, because I expected better and I had someone to meet (and no mobile phone). The second time I was with a friend and we knew what to expect so we relaxed. It was what it was.

One thing I wish I'd thought about: you can't leave back-packs on the train for the journey back. Since you can't take such items in to the stadium, try to travel without anything bulky.

you know...I think we,the local area Pats fans, should do something about our fans from OTHER COUNTRIES coming here for a game and having to put up with this crapola. As a long,long suffering Patriots fan and a grizzled tailgate veteran from the 70's, I would like to offer ANY fans who travel from Europe or even out west the proper amenities pre-game, including a proper tailgate. I can support a small venture out of my pocket,including transportation to and from the airport. All I ask is a proper amount of time to plan. I'm sure there are other local fans here who could/would be willing to help out.It's only fair, the way I see it. We're so lucky to live close and a little sacrifice on our part for one who's traveled thousands of miles shouldn't be that hard to endure.

This seems to be a generally helpful thread regarding the logistics of getting to a Pats game.

A Question, then, from someone who now lives outside the area and is looking forward to bringing his family to a Pats game next fall (after paying an arm and a leg for tickets).

I'd plan to get us there the day before and stay right in Foxboro to give my kids the complete experience (i.e., chance to visit the HOF and drop too much money in the Pro Shop and Patriot Place)...in other words, a perfect pigeon for Bob Kraft to pluck. :)

Which hotels in Foxboro are near the stadium? And, could you define "near?" Ten minute walk with kids? Thirty minute walk with kids? Bring plenty of fluids and a GPS walk with kids?

If you also want to pay an arm & a leg for your hotel room (why not go all out?!) you can stay at the Renaissance at Patriots Place, which is brand new and right at the stadium. I bet you have to make reservations well in advance, though. Otherwise there is really nothing in walking distance that I know of where I would stay with my family. There are a few flea-bag looking places (the End Zone Motel comes to mind) on Route 1 where I would not stay, and there is a Holiday Inn Express about 2 1/2 miles north of the stadium on Rte. 1, which looks okay, but it is not in walking distance. There appear to be other places listed on line for Foxboro, but they are not on Rte. 1, so I don't think they are walking distance. Rte. 1 is kind of weird - the stadium and the area immediately around it are all shiny & new, but just outside of that it looks like the land that time forgot. If you can't get a room at the Renaissance (or the price is too steep - I have no idea what it would be the night before a game), you will probably have to drive to the stadium on game day. Since you will be close by, you can arrive early and avoid the worst of the traffic. Patriot Place and the Hall are pretty fun stops. Have fun planning your trip!

Last edited:
you know...I think we,the local area Pats fans, should do something about our fans from OTHER COUNTRIES coming here for a game and having to put up with this crapola. As a long,long suffering Patriots fan and a grizzled tailgate veteran from the 70's, I would like to offer ANY fans who travel from Europe or even out west the proper amenities pre-game, including a proper tailgate. I can support a small venture out of my pocket,including transportation to and from the airport. All I ask is a proper amount of time to plan. I'm sure there are other local fans here who could/would be willing to help out.It's only fair, the way I see it. We're so lucky to live close and a little sacrifice on our part for one who's traveled thousands of miles shouldn't be that hard to endure.

That's very nice of you Joker, and you're right, we should be more organized about welcoming those from far away so they have a great game day experience!

If you also want to pay an arm & a leg for your hotel room (why not go all out?!) you can stay at the Renaissance at Patriots Place, which is brand new and right at the stadium. I bet you have to make reservations well in advance, though. Otherwise there is really nothing in walking distance that I know of where I would stay with my family. There are a few flea-bag looking places (the End Zone Motel comes to mind) on Route 1 where I would not stay, and there is a Holiday Inn Express about 2 1/2 miles north of the stadium on Rte. 1, which looks okay, but it is not in walking distance. There appear to be other places listed on line for Foxboro, but they are not on Rte. 1, so I don't think they are walking distance. Rte. 1 is kind of weird - the stadium and the area immediately around it are all shiny & new, but just outside of that it looks like the land that time forgot. If you can't get a room at the Renaissance (or the price is too steep - I have no idea what it would be the night before a game), you will probably have to drive to the stadium on game day. Since you will be close by, you can arrive early and avoid the worst of the traffic. Patriot Place and the Hall are pretty fun stops. Have fun planning your trip!

Didn't they raze the End Zone? Or maybe just renamed it?

The Patriots Fan Club of Shenzhen (1 member... and growing!) thanks you for your generosity. We will contact you prior to our next trip to Foxboro.

Didn't they raze the End Zone? Or maybe just renamed it?

;) Looks like it's alive & kicking, albeit under a different name. The latest review on TripAdvisor (a place I go to check out any unfamiliar lodgings) appears below:

“Wouldn't stay again”
End Zone Motor Inn
Cbreit 4 contributions
Newport RI
Sep 8, 2009 | Trip type: Couples I was told, when I booked this hotel back in June, that the room rate was $55.00 per night. When we arrived, we were told that anytime the Patriots had a game, it would be $125 per night. Will fight this with my credit card, but probably won't win as I never got a confirmation in writing. The fully-tattooed girl who checked us in said if we booked it online, we would have gotten that rate if we booked way in advance. Well, I tried booking in advance with "End Zone Motor Inn" but it didn't have a website. If I knew it was actually called the "America's Best Value Inn" it might have worked... The hotel is pretty dumpy looking outside, but has a nice restaurant/bar inside. Our room was definitely nothing special, just a place to sleep. The morning we arrived, my husband checked the ice machine. It was fully stocked and ready to go. Later on in the afternoon, it was duct-taped and said "out of order". The following morning, the tape was off and the machine was working again. It seems like they knew people would be partying and just turned off the machine. Low class! Oh, and before I forget, the continental breakfast area was full of fruit flies. Gross! You learn by your mistakes.. I won't be telling any of our friends about this place. If you want any more info, just let me know.

Date of stay September 2009 "

Sounds about like what I would expect!! :)

Holiday Inn Express about 2 1/2 miles north of the stadium on Rte. 1

Is this hotel absolutely not walkable?

Holiday Inn Express about 2 1/2 miles north of the stadium on Rte. 1

Is this hotel absolutely not walkable?

It is walkable.....it is 2.5 miles though, so as long as you are in somewhat decent shape, no reason not to do it.

There are other hotels in foxboro that may be 3-4 miles away, also walkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call