PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deadspin:Patriots Brandon Meriweather Allegedly involved in shooting of two men

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the Dreyfus affair is relevant, how, exactly?

My point is about the media and fan attention to the insignificant legal shenanigans of pro atheletes,like BM,and psycho-stars,like Sheen and Lohan.

BTW.......of 1,000 people on this site or another,how many do you think would know about Emile Zola and the Dreyfus Affair?

That's my point about,"What a World"

Re: Deadspin:patriots Safety Brandon Meriweather Allegedly Guns Down Two Men During B

Gawker sites aren't exactly the mecca of credibility. They're trashier than gossip columnists.

If you're talking about deadspin.com, then I couldn't agree more.

What I worry about however, it that they have broken some damn big NFL stories lately:

Brett Favre/Jenn Sterger

Rex Ryan Foot fetish videos

Sanchez dating 17 yr old girl

It's hard to disagree with them not being 100% ( or even close ) to accurate, but in their defense, they seem to have their ear to the streets somehow too, and they have become pretty big. In other words, if a 'famous' columnist had reported this first, we'd be ripping on them/questioning them too. We'd be ripping on ESPN, we'd be questioning whatever beat writer or columnist no matter what.

I do however, tend to agree with you about deadspin, but at the same time I am also skeptical about whether or not to worry about the hollywood gossip angle. Hopefully we can find some details soon, and he will be innocent of any wrongdoing.

Re: Deadspin:patriots Safety Brandon Meriweather Allegedly Guns Down Two Men During B

If you're talking about deadspin.com, then I couldn't agree more.

What I worry about however, it that they have broken some damn big NFL stories lately:

Brett Favre/Jenn Sterger

Rex Ryan Foot fetish videos

Sanchez dating 17 yr old girl

It's hard to disagree with them not being 100% ( or even close ) to accurate, but in their defense, they seem to have their ear to the streets somehow too, and they have become pretty big. In other words, if a 'famous' columnist had reported this first, we'd be ripping on them/questioning them too. We'd be ripping on ESPN, we'd be questioning whatever beat writer or columnist no matter what.

I do however, tend to agree with you about deadspin, but at the same time I am also skeptical about whether or not to worry about the hollywood gossip angle. Hopefully we can find some details soon, and he will be innocent of any wrongdoing.

The reason why they break a lot of stories is the same reason why they're not credible: they'll report anything, including that Meriweather shot a guy in the head a month ago when it turns out that he clearly didn't. As long as their initial source is correct, they end up looking great. If it's not, they look like idiots. They've been wrong a ton of times do, but they just understand that as long as they're right sometimes, that's what people will remember.

On a somewhat related sidenote, Gawker's gossip 'columnist' Adrian Chen just spent the past two days pretending to have cancer to drum up page views; clearly the idea of even basic standards is foreign to these guys. (technically he was pretending to have pretended to have cancer, I guess, but it's pretty outrageously tasteless no matter how you frame it)

Last edited:

The reason why they break a lot of stories is the same reason why they're not credible: they'll report anything, including that Meriweather shot a guy in the head a month ago when it turns out that he clearly didn't. As long as their initial source is correct, they end up looking great. If it's not, they look like idiots. They've been wrong a ton of times do, but they just understand that as long as they're right sometimes, that's what people will remember.

On a somewhat related sidenote, Gawker's gossip 'columnist' Adrian Chen just spent the past two days pretending to have cancer to drum up page views; clearly the idea of even basic standards is foreign to these guys. (technically he was pretending to have pretended to have cancer, I guess, but it's pretty outrageously tasteless no matter how you frame it)

so he does have cancer ? i'm confused.

according to the updates, meriweather's lucky he didn't get shot.

so he does have cancer ? i'm confused.

according to the updates, meriweather's lucky he didn't get shot.

No, he doesn't have cancer. According to him, it was just a poorly received joke.

No, he doesn't have cancer. According to him, it was just a poorly received joke.

That's absolutely incredible. To say that crosses the line would be the understatement of the decade, especially since a high number of us have either had cancer, or know of someone very close to us.

Totally disgusting.

As far as the BM stuff, I hope it all works out of course. To be honest, I believe that he is still an asset to this upcoming year, and strengthens a good position. I can certainly see why many here do not care for him, but I can't see a ton of benefit to him not being here this upcoming year. I do however, completely agree with not signing him long-term, and I don't really think that was ever a serious possibility anyway. As some have brought up in the Maroney situation in the past, if he had been a 2nd or 3rd rounder, I'm not sure that we'd tend to be so critical. He may or may not (presumably not) be living up to Belichick's standards, especially considering his freelancing and 'poor angles' that we see, but I will leave that to the expert himself to decide. I would however, like to have another year of planning, grooming, and even possibly drafting (nx yr) at the position first, before having to deal with what we have--even if it's not a so called weakness, I still believe it's improved with BM in there. Just my personal opinion though.

It seems pretty obvious that Brandon was there, he probably wasn't the shooter, but he IS the deep pocket, so this is going to cost him if he wants it to go away. Shoulda gone home after the club, Brandon. Time to start figuring out how the world works and how to protect yourself from this kind of trouble. It's called "walking away" or "taking your toys and going home," rather than going along with the crowd and hoping it all works out.

A repeat pattern of bad decisions and inability to see where things are going will cost you your hard-earned living, and maybe eventually your job.

No, but he is a guy who apparently acted pretty reasonably throughout the night in question. Get over yourself.

No he didnt. Some of you people would defend Charlie Sheen if he was a Patriot. Guess what? People in the Hood carry guns. Shocker, I know.

How many other NE players have come through Foxboro over the last 11 seasons and had this kind of trouble involving attempted murder? Meri already shot somebody in college. Now look who is involved in another shooting.

Meriweather does not learn by his mistakes. Not on the field when hes benched repeatedly and not in real life.

Based upon what we currently know, what Meriweather did was perfectly reasonable. He left the bar when there was trouble.

When it's put that way, it sounds so straightforward. Yes. He left the bar when there was trouble.

But, I wonder. The vast majority of NFL players seem to be able to handle well how they combine their lives pre-NFL with their lives as highly paid and even wealthy guys. There are a lot of pressures on them from hangers-on and relatives to give them money and to spend a lot of time in the bars and clubs they favor, where the rich guy will pick up the tab. But, most players manage to handle it, either because the friends and relatives are basically an OK bunch or the players instinctively know when and where not to show up at all.

But, I think there are some, probably like Meriweather, who just can't make that transition and for whom the best course of action is to avoid the people who made up their old lives. I remember this past summer when Michael Vick was an "innocent" participant in a private home at a party with his old group at the beach in Virginia. Trouble erupted with which he had nothing to do, but the consensus from Vick and the League was that he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I'll withhold judgment on Brandon Meriweather, but he might be a guy who has to choose between hanging out with his old crowd and bringing down $15--30 million over a five to eight year NFL career.

Last edited:
When it's put that way, it sounds so straightforward. Yes. He left the bar when there was trouble.

But, I wonder. The vast majority of NFL players seem to be able to handle well how they combine their lives pre-NFL with their lives as highly paid and even wealthy guys. There are a lot of pressures on them from hangers-on and relatives to give them money and to spend a lot of time in the bars and clubs they favor, where the rich guy will pick up the tab. But, most players manage to handle it, either because the friends and relatives are basically an OK bunch or the players instinctively know when and where not to show up at all.

But, I think there are some, probably like Meriweather, who just can't make that transition and for whom the best course of action is to avoid the people who made up their old lives. I remember this past summer when Michael Vick was an "innocent" participant in a private home at a party with his old group at the beach in Virginia. Trouble erupted with which he had nothing to do, but the consensus from Vick and the League was that he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I'll withhold judgment on Brandon Meriweather, but he might be a guy who has to choose between hanging out with his old crowd and bringing down $15--30 million over a five to eight year NFL career.

Brandon Meriweather hasn't been in any trouble since joining the Patriots, and he didn't do anything wrong here. Kevin Faulk, on the other hand, actually committed a criminal act, and people here couldn't wait to forgive him. Tom Brady was also in a location involving a shooting.

It's a pathetic double standard being played out, nothing more.

Last edited:
Brandon Meriweather hasn't been in any trouble since joining the Patriots, and he didn't do anything wrong here. Kevin Faulk, on the other hand, actually committed a criminal act, and people here couldn't wait to forgive him. Tom Brady was also in a location involving a shooting.

Another Gissell hating, Bridget Moynahan relative spews his venom. Go watch "Battle For LA" again. :)

Last edited:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I do believe this is the quintessential Deus Irae post.

I think Dues has a valid point. Double standards galore.

Agreed. The Meriweather hate brigade was in full force...he's the new Maroney.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I do believe this is the quintessential Deus Irae post.

A well-reasoned point that explained the logic behind an unpopular stance?

Is he wrong?

I think Dues has a valid point. Double standards galore.

As improbable as it seems, he is correct.

In his first "incident", the guy is legal to carry and discharges his weapon after some dudes cap his friend in the rear.

Now he tries to breakup a fight between FAMILY and this.

Not exactly going "bad azz" and hanging with the Bloods and Crip's

No he didnt. Some of you people would defend Charlie Sheen if he was a Patriot. Guess what? People in the Hood carry guns. Shocker, I know.

How many other NE players have come through Foxboro over the last 11 seasons and had this kind of trouble involving attempted murder? Meri already shot somebody in college. Now look who is involved in another shooting.

Meriweather does not learn by his mistakes. Not on the field when hes benched repeatedly and not in real life.

Attempted murder? Meriweather had nothing to do with an attempted murder. As Deus pointed out, he hasn't done anything that Brady (being around when shots were fired) didn't also do.

Attempted murder? Meriweather had nothing to do with an attempted murder. As Deus pointed out, he hasn't done anything that Brady (being around when shots were fired) didn't also do.

i know, it's written like a blog on espn. or maybe a boston media member.

Brady wasnt invloved in any fight. Brady wasnt accused of being the gunman. Brady wasnt out at the bar.

Its nothing like Bradys wedding.

Sometimes your past can haunt you. Case in point: Merriweather. (gun incident, head-stomping incident).

Still, that does not make or break him, in my opinion. What I do not like about him is that he stated that he was freelancing on the playing field - not listening to what the coaches were telling him - which lead to his benching. Really? You took it upon yourself to freelance? Now, I am not sure if this is by-product of Corwin Brown's coaching (he's been dismissed) or if Merriweather is just a stupid man. I'm leaning towards stupid. Big Bang Clock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe