PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dad asks son to hold beer, kicked out of Arizona Cardinals game

Impossible situation for the undercover officials, ending in a ridiculous outcome.

Impossible situation for the undercover officials, ending in a ridiculous outcome.

Don't see how it was an "impossible situation for the undercover officials". They could have simply waited 1 minute or less to see if the dad took his beer back or if the kid started drinking it. Even if the kid took a sip, they could have watched to see how the dad reacted, whether he fussed at the kid for doing it, or if he seemed to encourage or be ok with it.

That's stupid. On an unrelated note, my dad taught me how to work a keg when I was 12.

Impossible indeed. If "I was just asking him to hold the sixpack" made it all ok, you can imagine what would follow -- not just at the stadium, but in every liquor store parking lot in America. I feel sorry for that family, though.

Don't see how it was an "impossible situation for the undercover officials". They could have simply waited 1 minute or less to see if the dad took his beer back or if the kid started drinking it. Even if the kid took a sip, they could have watched to see how the dad reacted, whether he fussed at the kid for doing it, or if he seemed to encourage or be ok with it.

You're asking every cop who sees somebody provide a minor with alcohol to make sure the kid drinks it? :confused:

You're asking every cop who sees somebody provide a minor with alcohol to make sure the kid drinks it? :confused:

Having someone hold something while you take a picture is not the same thing as cracking open a beer and immediately handing it to that person. If the undercover agents aren't smart enough to grasp that distinction, perhaps they should find a different line of work that doesn't require such strenuous milliseconds of thought and analysis.

Impossible indeed. If "I was just asking him to hold the sixpack" made it all ok, you can imagine what would follow -- not just at the stadium, but in every liquor store parking lot in America. I feel sorry for that family, though.

Think there might be just a couple of minor differences between a dad handing a kid his beer to hold, and one guy walking out of a liquor store, handing a 6 pack over to some minors, and then both getting in separate cars and leaving ?

I can't even begin to count the number of times I was asked/told to go to a cooler and get family member X a beer when I was a kid. Or when having an adult ask me to hold their beer while they took their turn throwing horseshoes.

Hell, in my family, I was making mixed drinks at parties by the time I was 10. Nothing complicated mind you, just alcohol of choice along with a mixer. Things like bourbon and cokes, vodka tonics, etc.

************, this country is going down the drain. :rolleyes:

drinking_beer_like_a_boss.gif

99% chance that the security guard did watch the pair for longer than it took for Dad to take the picture.

I'm sure he's not throwing somebody out every 10 seconds. He likely watched to see if there was a reason.

Dad's just making an excuse for getting caught giving his kid a beer.

Speculation, but that makes the most sense.

Having someone hold something while you take a picture is not the same thing as cracking open a beer and immediately handing it to that person. If the undercover agents aren't smart enough to grasp that distinction, perhaps they should find a different line of work that doesn't require such strenuous milliseconds of thought and analysis.

Wow, I'm impressed that, upon seeing an adult buy a beer and hand it to a teenage boy, it takes you just "milliseconds" to judge his innocent intent!

But...don't you suppose that the stadium could possibly have any liability to worry about by instructing security to NOT immediately act when they see youngsters holding alcohol? As the youngsters walk away in a crowd?

I'm not saying this situation didn't turn out ridiculous. I'm just saying that it's not realistic to make "I was just asking him to hold the alcohol" a free pass.

Last edited:
security should definitely jump on any suspicious behavior. But when the situation is realized it would have been better to suspend the guys alcohol privileges for the game instead of kicking him out.

Wow, I'm impressed that, upon seeing an adult buy a beer and hand it to a teenage boy, it takes you just "milliseconds" to judge his innocent intent!

But...don't you suppose that the stadium could possibly have any liability to worry about by instructing security to NOT immediately act when they see youngsters holding alcohol? As the youngsters walk away in a crowd?

I'm not saying this situation didn't turn out ridiculous. I'm just saying that it's not realistic to make "I was just asking him to hold the alcohol" a free pass.

So, with a father and son sitting right there in their seats at the stadium, the officers involved couldn't have waited a few more seconds to see what actually transpired ?

It's not like we are talking about an immediate threat such as a guy pulling a gun out of his pocket.

They tossed out the wrong father.

Making your kid sit through four quarters of pre-season Arizona Cardinals football without a beer is child abuse.

1. In Pennsylvania one time at a beer store. Had my 18 year old son with me and my brother in law. Grabbed two 18 packs and had my son help me carry one of them to the counter. Tiny little place 20' x 40' or so. He set it on the counter and I went to pay for it. They asked him for his ID and when he said he was 18 they immediately kicked him out of the store and berated me.

2. I was in a little convenience store in Maine, I bought an 18 pack and 2 of my sons were with me, 19 year old, and 17 year old. Clerk wouldn't sell the beer to me because my kids weren't 21. Finally she got the manager who let me buy it.

3. My buddy and his wife were in Walmart, he was 43 and she was 41 at the time. They had a cart of groceries and in it 2 bottles of wine. Clerk asked him for his ID which he had, then asked his wife for her ID. She had left her pocketbook in the car. Clerk refused to sell it to him because she didn't have her id. They even called over a manager and the manager refused to sell it to them also.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

1. In Pennsylvania one time at a beer store. Had my 18 year old son with me and my brother in law. Grabbed two 18 packs and had my son help me carry one of them to the counter. Tiny little place 20' x 40' or so. He set it on the counter and I went to pay for it. They asked him for his ID and when he said he was 18 they immediately kicked him out of the store and berated me.

2. I was in a little convenience store in Maine, I bought an 18 pack and 2 of my sons were with me, 19 year old, and 17 year old. Clerk wouldn't sell the beer to me because my kids weren't 21. Finally she got the manager who let me buy it.

3. My buddy and his wife were in Walmart, he was 43 and she was 41 at the time. They had a cart of groceries and in it 2 bottles of wine. Clerk asked him for his ID which he had, then asked his wife for her ID. She had left her pocketbook in the car. Clerk refused to sell it to him because she didn't have her id. They even called over a manager and the manager refused to sell it to them also.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

I was in my local package store last weekend to get myself some beer and my wife some twisted teas. I had a 30 rack and a 12 pack of beer plus the teas, so I had my 11 year old daughter carry the teas to to front. The owner looked at her, smiled at me, rang me up and said "have a nice weekend". Some people can still use logic and act accordingly. :D

I made no such claim about innocent intent. My "milliseconds' claim was about the two different actions. It would have taken a few additional seconds to see what the father/son did after the agents realized that this wasn't a six-pack being handed over for consumption.

One of us is going with the known facts. The other is making up speculative scenarios. For the known 'facts', the agents were idiots who probably aren't smart enough to be hired by an automated car wash. For speculated 'facts', that could change.

Of course it's realistic. More than that, it's common sense, if what was in the report is what actually happened. Now, if follow-up shows that the kid was holding the beer for a long time, or was drinking out of it multiple times over some period of time, that'll change the story, and the common sense pendulum will swing in the direction of the 'agents'.

You have to know how to apply the law. These two undercover guys didn't.

About Moosekill's example, the first 2 were absurd, but the third one is the regular course of business these days:

In New York state, you are absolutely not allowed to sell to an old person without ID, even a senior citizen. If you were an undercover person and the manager sold to you without your ID, no matter what you looked like, the manager and the store would be in trouble. I've had managers at Wegmans and other places profusely apologize to me because of that situation, and I have graying hair.

Sounds to me like they were pretty lenient. The guy got kicked out of an Arizona Cardinals preseason game before kickoff? If they really wanted to be tough on the father, they would have made him stay for 2 or 3 quarters.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back