PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DaBruinz 2008 Patriots Mock V1

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is one round early not a reach (69 vs 101-110)

GBN has him at 90. That would before our 2nd pick in the 3rd round. NFL Draft Countdown doesn't have him in Top 100. But, from looking at players they have around 100 and positional rankings. He's probably somewhere between 101-110. I don't think he's a reach at 69.

Because they know that there are teams behind them (Carolina, Chicago, Tampa) who might be jockeying for a trade up to grab Ryan.

Sorry, but the jump from 13 to 8 is going to take more than just a third round pick.

I understand that, but I was talking about from 8 to 7

NFLDraftScout has him going in the third round, and ranked 78th overall, if you check his current profile.

NFLDraftCountdown has him listed as a "Mid rounder", and ranked 84th overall. That's a third rounder.
I don't subscribe to NFLDS, just have their write up from Lindy's. PFW doesn't have a round assigned but the write up is horrible. He sounds like a run down only ILB and I'm not spending anything above a #4 on that.

I don't subscribe to NFLDS, just have their write up from Lindy's. PFW doesn't have a round assigned but the write up is horrible. He sounds like a run down only ILB and I'm not spending anything above a #4 on that.

He's not simply a two down run stopper, but the Patriots could use a good run stopper at ILB. Also, most of the sources you cited (NFLDraftScout, and NFDraftCountdown) actually go against your opinion, and have him solidly ranked in the third round.

Edit: FWIW, I don't read Pro Football Weekly. Think it's trash, and have for some time now.

Last edited:
GBN has him at 90. That would before our 2nd pick in the 3rd round. NFL Draft Countdown doesn't have him in Top 100. But, from looking at players they have around 100 and positional rankings. He's probably somewhere between 101-110. I don't think he's a reach at 69.

You must have missed him. He's ranked 84th overall in their top 100, as I said in my response to a previous poster.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/top.html

He's not simply a two down run stopper, but the Patriots could use a good run stopper at ILB. Also, most of the sources you cited (NFLDraftScout, and NFDraftCountdown) actually go against your opinion, and have him solidly ranked in the third round.
That's fine but they also have him below the second round where I would absolutely not take him.

Edit: FWIW, I don't read Pro Football Weekly. Think it's trash, and have for some time now.
They're still the best source for draft stuff for me. To each his own I guess.

I'll admit I do all my "scouting" from reading reports but based on Lindy's (from NFL Draft Scout), Pro Football Weekly, NFL Draft Countdown, I expect Goff to go in the 4th or 5th round.

I've seen Goff as a 4th round pick based on being limited in speed/range...as evidenced by the Florida game. His workout numbers were very good though. He was very productive and has top-notch intangibles, so better than expected workout number may bump him into the 3rd round. I wouldn't be upset if the Pats used their late 2nd/early 3rd to get him.

I've seen Goff as a 4th round pick based on being limited in speed/range...as evidenced by the Florida game. His workout numbers were very good though. He was very productive and has top-notch intangibles, so better than expected workout number may bump him into the 3rd round. I wouldn't be upset if the Pats used their late 2nd/early 3rd to get him.
His workout numbers were great but from my reading his game speed and instincts aren't equal to that. Just like Rivers had good speed but many question his pass coverage. No thanks on Goff. I'd rather trade #2 and #3 to get up for Curtis Lofton or take a run stopping ILB a little later.

I think the trade with Carolina is unrealistic. The trade value chart says 8 is 1400, so we would get 13 and just trade spots with them in the 2nd(43 for 62no extra 2nd& 5th). Goff wont go before the 4th round, this forum is way too high on the local product.

That's fine but they also have him below the second round where I would absolutely not take him.

They're still the best source for draft stuff for me. To each his own I guess.

The Pats are known for taking guys ahead of where they are projected (Mankins, Johnson, Wilson, Scott) .

I put Goff in at 62 (end of the 2nd round) because its not that much of a stretch since he is 3rd round talent.

I think the trade with Carolina is unrealistic. The trade value chart says 8 is 1400, so we would get 13 and just trade spots with them in the 2nd(43 for 62no extra 2nd& 5th). Goff wont go before the 4th round, this forum is way too high on the local product.

Yes, and people said that the Giants/Chargers trade was unrealistic. Etc, Etc.

As for Goff, he's not a local product.

As for where he goes, my bet is that he goes late 2nd early third because of the shortage of good ILBs. And if you don't think Goff is a good ILB, fine. So be it.

His workout numbers were great but from my reading his game speed and instincts aren't equal to that. Just like Rivers had good speed but many question his pass coverage. No thanks on Goff. I'd rather trade #2 and #3 to get up for Curtis Lofton or take a run stopping ILB a little later.

That is friggin LAUGHABLE. Lofton is as slow as Ted friggin Washington and you'd are sitting there ragging on Goff about his speed?

You are ragging on Goff about his pass coverage skills when Lofton can't change direction to save his life? There are Offensive linemen who change direction better than he does.

That is friggin LAUGHABLE. Lofton is as slow as Ted friggin Washington and you'd are sitting there ragging on Goff about his speed?

You are ragging on Goff about his pass coverage skills when Lofton can't change direction to save his life? There are Offensive linemen who change direction better than he does.
I know Goff tested better with his speed but Lofton plays faster. It's also not THAT laughable given that almost everyone still ranks Lofton higher than Goff.

Last edited:
Sometimes game tape does lie. Scheme and coaching and surrounding talent are so variable that it can make some college players appear better than they are and others worse. How many other elite defenders were on the field with Goff? Very few. He clearly has the athletic tools to compete in the NFL, the combine results say so. He has been very productive and durable at a position with a ton of collisions. He also appears to be smart.

I trust Nawrocki alot but he's better at evaluating the top prospects, for whatever reason.

I know Goff tested better with his speed but Lofton plays faster. It's also not THAT laughable given that almost everyone still ranks Lofton higher than Goff.

And people ranked Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi and Chris Redman ahead of Tom Brady. They ranked Rob Morris, Raynoch Thompson, Barrett Green and Mark Simoneau ahead of Adalius Thomas.

Yes, I believe that if Lofton was on another team other than OU, he wouldn't be ranked as a 2nd round pick.

And people ranked Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi and Chris Redman ahead of Tom Brady. They ranked Rob Morris, Raynoch Thompson, Barrett Green and Mark Simoneau ahead of Adalius Thomas.
I know but if people are going to throw Goff's rankings at me, I can throw Lofton's back. Everything I've read says Lofton reacts quicker, is more instinctive and plays faster. I'll take that over the combine time.

Ok.. Here is my mock (and I know it will be mocked.. LOL :D) :

Round 1: Patriots trade down with Baltimore. Baltimore trades the #8 and a 4th round pick. Baltimore Selects Matt Ryan.
Trade down with Carolina: Carolina trades their 1st, 2nd and 5th round picks to the Patriots for #8 over-all. Carolina takes Sedrick Ellis.

Patriots select Brandon Albert (OG)

2nd round pick: 43: Cliff Avril (OLB)
2nd round pick: 62: Jonathan Goff (ILB)
3rd round pick: 69: Antwaun Molden (CB)
3rd round pick: 94: Chevis Jackson (CB)
4th round pick: 106: Jeremy Zuttah (OL)
4th round pick: 129: Quentin Demps (SS)
5th round pick: 141: Corey Lynch (FS)
5th round pick: 164: Stanford Keglar (LB)
6th round pick: 197: Anthony Aldridge (RB/WR/KR)
7th round pick: 238: Gary Barnidge (TE)

We do not always agree but I like this. Love the Molden, Zuttah and Lynch picks. Even Chevis Jackson who they say is slow, has one of the highest PBU stats of all the CBs. They say Molden has the same stats and physical talents as DRC.
How about as another alternate version for sixth in Dexter Jackson and maybe in the 7th with Adam Bishop of Nevada (supposedly maybe the top blocking TE but had 7 TDs so I guess he's got hands. Most TD's of all the TE except Tamme?)?
I am happy. I see safeties.
Somebody convince me on Goff. Everything I read on him says he is not special and slow. What am I missing other than size. Would you give #62 for Bobby Carpenter of the Cowboys?

Good job sir.

DW Toys

I know but if people are going to throw Goff's rankings at me, I can throw Lofton's back. Everything I've read says Lofton reacts quicker, is more instinctive and plays faster. I'll take that over the combine time.

And everything I've read says that Lofton can't pick up plays easily and relies almost TOTALLY on his instincts. That's not a Pats type of player. Never has been. You have to be able to do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST