PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cyrus Jones: The Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It is hard to get a read on his CB skills from the many Cy Jones highlight reels because most of them are dominated by his kick returns. However from what I saw at CB, he has perfect technique, although he did let one WR get behind him and was losing ground but the pass was under thrown. He does not appear to have blazing speed (he was caught from behind on a kick return), but he is good enough. Excellent hands, although he did turn a blatant face-mask into fumble and TD. He does not hit as hard as Leblanc, but has more refined cover skills.

This looks like a real solid pick by the Patriots and the CB corp this year should be really exciting, especially if one of the UDFAs such as Jones or Leblanc pans out. As you guy know, when you have solid CBs, it frees up a safety or two for things like blitzing.

I have to believe that Jones would have gone in the first round except for the plethora is good, and tall, CBs available this year.

It was interesting to see him shutdown our very own Malcolm Mitchell in spite of the height difference.

2016 Draft Prospects: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama

It is hard to get a read on his CB skills from the many Cy Jones highlight reels because most of them are dominated by his kick returns. However from what I saw at CB, he has perfect technique, although he did let one WR get behind him and was losing ground but the pass was under thrown. He does not appear to have blazing speed (he was caught from behind on a kick return), but he is good enough. Excellent hands, although he did turn a blatant face-mask into fumble and TD. He does not hit as hard as Leblanc, but has more refined cover skills.

This looks like a real solid pick by the Patriots and the CB corp this year should be really exciting, especially if one of the UDFAs such as Jones or Leblanc pans out. As you guy know, when you have solid CBs, it frees up a safety or two for things like blitzing.

I have to believe that Jones would have gone in the first round except for the plethora is good, and tall, CBs available this year.

It was interesting to see him shutdown our very own Malcolm Mitchell in spite of the height difference.

2016 Draft Prospects: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama
@1:30 Cy defending Mitchell man on man.:eek: He moves very fluidly, which helps in the pass and return games.

I had him on my board and about where they picked him. I like the player a lot. Reminds me a little of McCourty in some respects in a lot of people were like "Why they spend such a high pick on a STs player and a meh DB" I think he will surprise. I think provided the WR he is not facing a 6'3+ with big time skills to match he will be able to play very well on the outside too.

I am not too worried about the size. Look at him shutdown our very own Malcolm Mitchell, at least for one play. Big CBs that can cover are like hens teeth and overdrafted. I would rather go with a solid pick like Jones.

I looked up his Combine results and my suspicions were confirmed, his 40 time is good but not outstanding; 4.49 or 14th among a very stacked CB crop. [our very own Jonathan Jones was ranked number 1 at 4.33]

But, but, but, Cyrus Jone's 3-cone was ranked number 2 at 6.71, ha!

The other three cone results were interesting. Jone did not register (slower than 7.08). Leblanc's 3-cone was something like 6.91, respectable, and would have put him at number 7 among the Combine invitees (but of course he was not timed by the same timers as at the Combine).

I had him on my board and about where they picked him. I like the player a lot. Reminds me a little of McCourty in some respects in a lot of people were like "Why they spend such a high pick on a STs player and a meh DB" I think he will surprise. I think provided the WR he is not facing a 6'3+ with big time skills to match he will be able to play very well on the outside too.

He had some really nice defenses against Wilson, who is 6'5. Of course, Wilson is not that terribly athletic, but still, Jones made the plays.

His battle against Mitchell wasn't 100% one-sided, by the way. Mitchell had some plays where he just made Jones look useless. They each won a few reps. Fun matchup to watch though, for sure.

It's hard to get a read on Jones. On one hand, Alabama's secondary as a whole was pretty bad at allowing the big play in 2014. It's part of what got them killed against Ohio State. They tightened up in 2015 but they also got top tier play from a front seven that suddenly grew up and became absolutely dominant. With Jones, I think he projects to nickel corner from the start. He'll immediately compete for time there. Not sure whether or not his skills project to ourside corner but, hopefully, Roberts builds on last TC and the Pats hit the jackpot there.

Thanks for your research, Fred! Much appreciated.

It's hard to get a read on Jones. On one hand, Alabama's secondary as a whole was pretty bad at allowing the big play in 2014. It's part of what got them killed against Ohio State. They tightened up in 2015 but they also got top tier play from a front seven that suddenly grew up and became absolutely dominant. With Jones, I think he projects to nickel corner from the start. He'll immediately compete for time there. Not sure whether or not his skills project to ourside corner but, hopefully, Roberts builds on last TC and the Pats hit the jackpot there.

You are correct that the front seven play in 2015 was top tier, but the secondary vastly improved in 2015. The secondary was arguably the major weakness of the Alabama team the previous few years, and to address this problem: i) Saban brought in a remarkable group of five star cornerback prospects in 2014 and 2015, and ii) he moved some talented athletes to different positions. In 2015 a couple of former cornerbacks finally completely learned the safety position, a couple of those five star cornerback recruits looked like future stars, and Cyrus Jones (who was a receiver his freshman year) finally figured out the cornerback position.

Normally players from top schools like Alabama and Ohio State come in as finished products, but IMHO Cyrus Jones still has upside, he has only played the position 3 years and his improvement each year was marked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News