PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cutdown Day: PATS DISCUSSION thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lots of this guy in this thread....

url

Glad my boy Forston made it. Called him making the team 2 months ago.

The confusion over Shiancoe sounds like he may be being used as a place holder for Waters. The team is at 52 because Bill probably has plans on signing a released vet and/or making a waiver claim or two. They could probably get an exemption for Waters when he reports, but that would expire once he is activated to play. Some media are speculating that Shiancoe could be intended to be designated for the temporary IR after 4PM Tuesday. But that wouldn't explain the earlier reports he is being cut. The placeholder theory would. Would keep him out of reach of a TE seeking team for a couple of more days.

What commitments do teams need to make to a player picked off the Practice Squad. IIRC, the player used to need to on the Active Roster for 3 weeks.

No.

You can't begin signing players to your PS until noon tomorrow, because that is when non vested players will have cleared waivers if not claimed by another team. You can continue to sign PS players all season, as long as you have room on your 8 man squad or cut someone to create it. And just so you'll know, every time activate a guy onto the 53 from the PS if you later cut him again he has to clear waivers again to make it back to the PS.

Considering the defensive weakness of the New England Patriots last season, one can never have enough safeties and/or cornerbacks.

Not ragging on you by any means but just curious how come you type out the full names for everything? Preparing for a sports writer career?

What commitments do teams need to make to a player picked off the Practice Squad. IIRC, the player used to need to on the Active Roster for 3 weeks.

I believe that rule remains unchanged.

Not ragging on you by any means but just curious how come you type out the full names for everything? Preparing for a sports writer career?

I'd rather have someone do that than the gigantic douchbags who write prolly instead of probably.

The confusion over Shiancoe sounds like he may be being used as a place holder for Waters. The team is at 52 because Bill probably has plans on signing a released vet and/or making a waiver claim or two. They could probably get an exemption for Waters when he reports, but that would expire once he is activated to play. Some media are speculating that Shiancoe could be intended to be designated for the temporary IR after 4PM Tuesday. But that wouldn't explain the earlier reports he is being cut. The placeholder theory would. Would keep him out of reach of a TE seeking team for a couple of more days.

This is the best theory floated in this thread so far...and let's get one thing straight...the "confusion" is among fans, and the sports writer fraternity...I firmly believe the Patriots braintrust are coldly calculating...as usual, the true story will come out well after this hysteria has died down.

Maybe the New England Patriots are holding out to the last minute to extract a future draft pick for Shiancoe.

Just a thought. ;)

Maybe the Pats already got the exclusion for Waters, and are now seeing if they get any of their claims awarded.

I suspect that is also why a guy like Fortson made the 53, they can waive him later if they need his spot and with teams rosters mostly settled, he has a better chance to slip to the PS.

With 17 new faces, nearly half the defense it is higher than the average of 13 the last few years IIRC....

Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett

Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden

[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT] Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells, [FONT=&quot]Visanthe Shiancoe[/FONT]

Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater

[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT] Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Donald Thomas, [FONT=&quot]Nick McDonald[/FONT]

Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, [FONT=&quot]Marcus Forston[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT] Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham, Trevor Scott, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette

Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Bobby Carpenter, [FONT=&quot]Tracy White, Mike Rivera[/FONT]

Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Ras-I Dowling, [FONT=&quot]Sterling Moore[/FONT], Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard

Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Nate Ebner

Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

With 17 new faces, nearly half the defense it is higher than the average of 13 the last few years IIRC....

Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett

Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Brandon Bolden

[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT] Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells, [FONT=&quot]Visanthe Shiancoe[/FONT]

Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Julian Edelman, Matthew Slater

[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT] Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Donald Thomas, [FONT=&quot]Nick McDonald[/FONT]

Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Ron Brace, Brandon Deaderick, [FONT=&quot]Marcus Forston[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]:[/FONT] Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham, Trevor Scott, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette

Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Bobby Carpenter, [FONT=&quot]Tracy White, Mike Rivera[/FONT]

Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Ras-I Dowling, [FONT=&quot]Sterling Moore[/FONT], Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard

Patrick Chung, Steve Gregory, Tavon Wilson, Nate Ebner

Stephen Gostkowski, Zoltan Mesko, Danny Aiken

Offense: 22
Defense: 27

Seems a little lopsided, doesn't it? For now, TE is really the only position group that isn't lacking depth on offense, although guard/center should get resolved once Waters comes back.

Last edited:
Offense: 22
Defense: 27

Seems a little lopsided, doesn't it? For now, TE is really the only position group that isn't lacking depth on offense, although guard/center should get resolved once Waters comes back.
If Brandon Lloyd goes down, game over without Deion Branch and/or Jabar Gaffney on the roster.

what are the odds any team is going to pick up Branch..at his age...over any of the plethora of other WR cuts?

shadow roster

lots of this guy in this thread....

url

You have never lived if you haven't seen Steve Balmer do his "thing", at a Microsoft employee meeting!:eek::eek::eek:

days like today bring the inner "sweat and freak" out of everybody...the issue is we,as fans, like far more players than the roster allows. Nothing I'd like better than a 64 man roster, but the reality of business in the NFL is cold and calculated at its best...and that means feelings will inevitably be hurt and recriminations will always follow. Sure I'd love to see Demps run back a bunch of kickoffs but in the grand scheme, what else does he offer at THIS point in time , that qualifies him being kept on the active roster? This move doesn't HURT anybody...it's a smart move with the chances of a huge payday next season. Business.

Last edited:
If roster spots are that valuable and/or money is a concern as they also find themselves in a roster talent crunch...might have been a good idea to teach some one of Bill's incredible new swiss army knives to long snap in the off season.

speaking of whom, Lonnie Paxton is available, correct??

Why do you want Stallworth back? Because he was a member of the team in 2007 or to waste a roster spot? Both?

He's not a talented Wide Receiver. He never was. He's fast but he doesn't know how to get open, being a sprinter doesn't make you good at football. Theres a reason that Slater isn't used as a WR when even though he's one of the fastest players in the NFL wearing pads.

I just like Stallworth. No particular reason other than he was an integral part of that 2007 wide receiver corps with Gaffney, Moss and Welker that I can see Mcdaniels getting the same results again, with Lloyd in Moss's spot.

And Brady seems to have a rapore with him as he did in 07,

Other than that, I just like what I have seen from Stallworth. Nothing great, but enough know how and experience to be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3