PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curtis Lofton

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuthierJr

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Anyone think Lofton will fall to 62? If he does would you want him? I know not everyone is high on him, and I think rightfully so as his workout numbers are not off the charts, but I like him..... then again I'm from Norman so I'm too biased :)

Here is a highlight video of him fwiw.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X_x4WvWEJO4

Last edited:
some more notes on him (from nfldraftcountdown.com):

Strengths:
Great bulk and a solid frame...Excellent instincts and awareness...Has a non-stop motor...Quick and plays faster than he times..Does a terrific job in pursuit and has a burst to close...Big hitter and reliable tackler..Able to step up and fill against the run...Does a decent job in zone coverage...Smart with a high football I.Q....Tough and strong...Hard worker and team leader with top-notch intangibles...Productive.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have the ideal height that you would prefer...Stiff and does not have fluid hips...Is not a great athlete...Marginal timed speed...Struggles to match up in man coverage...Just an average blitzer with a limited pass rush repertoire..Has to do a better job of protecting his legs...Limited college starting experience ( 19 games ).

Notes:
Could play in either a 43 or a 34 defensive scheme...Contributed mainly on special teams as a true freshman..Began to emerge as a sophomore but really burst onto the scene as a junior in 2007 when he was named an All-American and the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year...Might not have all the physical tools you look for but is just a football player..The type who won't be a 1st rounder but will play like one.

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2005 10 3 1.0 0.0 0 0
2006 14 32 6.0 0.0 0 0
2007 14 157 10.5 1.0 2 3

Totals38 192 17.5 1.0 2 3

reading on a few places that he may be around at 62 now, although most places seem to have him being gone near the top/middle of the 2nd round.

If it's at #62 and we already have a CB, I'd be ok with it.

I'd like to see Lofton become a great pro, and show that combine numbers aren't really that important, that instinct and grit are more important. But he's fighting an uphill battle against history at his position.

Personally, I think that Lofton relies TOO much on his instincts and doesn't follow the plays called.

I also don't believe that Lofton is a fit for the Pats 3-4 other than as a 2 down LB and the Pats need more than that.

For the Patriots, prolly not so much. For other teams, I think Lofton is potentially 90% of Patrick Willis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News