PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Patriots ugly win vs. Jets doesn't ease concerns moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quantum- kinda weak hitting the disagree button w/o offering exactly what you disagree about.
Do you also whine when people hit the agree button w/o offering exactly what they agree with? When you do, I'll start taking your complaints about little red icons seriously.

Do you also whine when people hit the agree button w/o offering exactly what they agree with? When you do, I'll start taking your complaints about little red icons seriously.

Dear Quantum,

I rated your post funny because I thought it was funny.

Sincerely,

Tony2046

Do you also whine when people hit the agree button w/o offering exactly what they agree with? When you do, I'll start taking your complaints about little red icons seriously.[/QUOTE)

Kinda funny you mentioning "whining"-something I'm not known for whereas you are a charter member of the resident chicken little whiners club. Sorry what you did was weak- and you know it, everyone knows it. On another thread a few days ago, several posters did the same thing to Deus-who was on the opposing viewpoint from me- but he pointed out the same thing-and he was right- I have no respect for those posters- and none for you. And you know damn well its not the sane as the agree button.

Hey Pal. You need to watch your step. You know who you are.

lol kontra

Damn. I just got disliked without a response by the dude who complained about disliking without responding.

I'm perplexed and hurt at the same time.

I need to retreat to my safe place.

No, but you (general "you", not specific "you") would be a fool to be grading the 2016 Broncos from the same perspective as the 2016 Browns or 2016 Titans.

You're making a good point that applies to the AFC East in important ways. The perspective on the division is changing from the worst to one of the more competitive in the NFL.

The Jets and Dolphins have been viewed from the perspective of what a circus those franchises have been for the past several years. The Jets impressed me last night as a team whose head coach had them playing disciplined, prepared football, but who just don't have the manpower to compete with a team like the Patriots. The end reminded me of college games where deeper, better teams just wear down a competitor.

But the best work at this point in the season is being done by Adam Gase and the Dolphins who have a big winning streak going, good game plans, and no chaos. The perspective for how one judges Miami has completely changed. Ryan Tannehill is getting the most out of his talent and appears to be making better decisions. His QBR is higher than Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers.

The Bills are a talented football team with good players all over the place. If they could just be more disciplined. They are 4th most in penalties against accepted and 7th most in yards penalized. Classic Rex. That perspective stays the same. If the Bills stopped shooting themselves in the foot, they'd be in the playoff picture just like the Dolphins.

The Patriots are being the Patriots and positioning themselves for a first round bye and home field in the playoffs. We can quibble, but the metrics are right on track - best record in the AFC, solid defense, productive offense, excellent coaching.

In late 2016, the AFC East cannot be accused of being a bunch of "tomato cans."

Damn. I just got disliked without a response by the dude who complained about disliking without responding.

I disagree.

How can Brady ever claim the most fourth quarter comeback victories by a quarterback unless the Pats play crappy for the first three quarters?

Pats media and some fans are the only group who cares about style points, just win the game.

Plenty of the Pats championship teams won a bunch of close games, Denver barely beat anyone but more than a score last year and we saw how that turned out.

The Giants and Ravens played some of the ugliest games imaginable during their Super Bowl runs.

2010 Pats went 14-2 won 4 of their last 5 games by 30+ points and lost to the Jets in the Divisional Round, those style points really helped.
All true!! However anyone looking at the defense can see that they are mediocre at best.
You are crazy if you are not very concerned over this group and their lousy play. EVERY QB they've faced this year comes out of the game with a higher QB rating than they averaged before facing the Patriots. That's BAD!!!! It's a combo of too many guys having lousy seasons and a DC who inspires/coaches up absolutely nobody. Once again this team is going as far as 39 year old Tom Brady and his health will take them.

Pats media and some fans are the only group who cares about style points, just win the game.

Plenty of the Pats championship teams won a bunch of close games, Denver barely beat anyone but more than a score last year and we saw how that turned out.

The Giants and Ravens played some of the ugliest games imaginable during their Super Bowl runs.

2010 Pats went 14-2 won 4 of their last 5 games by 30+ points and lost to the Jets in the Divisional Round, those style points really helped.

2010 Patriots lost to the Jets because, despite its regular season dominance, the offense **** the bed in the playoff game and the defense wasn't good enough to overcome that.

Seems like an apt example of why people should legitimately be concerned about the 2016 defense, actually.

2010 Patriots lost to the Jets because, despite its regular season dominance, the offense **** the bed in the playoff game and the defense wasn't good enough to overcome that.

Seems like an apt example of why people should legitimately be concerned about the 2016 defense, actually.

That team was also the number 1 seed. Again our offense has to be the best defense come the playoffs. Curious to see how they do against flaccid in two weeks

That team was also the number 1 seed. Again our offense has to be the best defense come the playoffs.

That's really the point too, isn't it? This team has won SBs when it's had a defense that could really help the offense. If we look at these teams Brady/BB Patriots historically, only 2011 saw them get to the SB with a weak defense (for that matter, just a note: the team has never made the SB in a year where it didn't have a bye a/k/a 2005,2006,2009).

That team was also the number 1 seed. Again our offense has to be the best defense come the playoffs. Curious to see how they do against flaccid in two weeks
That is kinda the difference between this and 2014. Yes the 2014 defense **** the bed vs the ravens in the playoffs as did the 2003 defense in the superbowl vs the panthers but they had playmakers in the secondary and on a bad offensive day you could rely on them somewhat. Now its all on brady and gronk's health. Kinda like the 2012 team. Gronk is hurt, they get by houston but cant slow down a joe flacco + jim caldwell led offense when our own offense crapped the bed.
We need all our offensive players healthy and playing great in the playoffs.

I know. It's amazing (and hilarious and gratifying) to see all the internet tough guys curl up into little balls crying about seeing a little red X next to their post. And then they'll complain about those goddamned millennials and college students demanding safe spaces.

Gotta love the way the defense finished the game, whether or not it carries any momentum going forward gotta be happy for them.

Agreed. At this point after 11 games it is uncanny how soft the D can look yet how superbly consistent they are at keeping points off the board. Not sure I've ever used the word stupefying in a serious sentence, however, the defense's ability to be so soft yet so tough to score on is in fact stupefying :)

Look at the point totals surrendered for 10 of the 11 games played (Seattle at 31 the lone outlier):
0 13 16 16 17 17 17 21 24 25 (the 25 total by Buffalo was a last minute junk TD). That's pretty consistent points allowed defense.
I don't know if a team has ever lead the league in fewest points allowed yet been conspicuously middling on yards allowed. Maybe it is not completely uncommon?? If not the Patriots have a very real shot at breaking new ground this year.

I'm going out on limb (please do not saw me off) to state that an ugly win is better than a pretty loss.

At what point are people going to stop acting surprised/concerned when the Pats/Jets play insanely close games for basically the last 5 seasons now? (Outside of the Buttfumble game)

It's to be expected at this point.

Hell, even in the 2014 Super Bowl season when the Jets went 4-12...

Patriots 27
Jets 25

Patriots 17
Jets 16

If that were the Browns I'd be a little more concerned, that game was nothing less than I expected.
"People here expect us to just show up and win these games..."

-
John Hannah, 1979

lots of great teams have ugly wins. I think the NE fans are are looking for perfection week to week and it might be that they are spoiled. Looking for something wrong rather than what is working. Truth is it was a hard division game and if your a jets fan this would be a different post. Boys pulled it off and thats all that matters. No one cares that you won the SB by 3pts, you won the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes