PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran:Patriots ugly win vs. Jets doesn't ease concerns moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta love the way the defense finished the game, whether or not it carries any momentum going forward gotta be happy for them.

At what point are people going to stop acting surprised/concerned when the Pats/Jets play insanely close games for basically the last 5 seasons now? (Outside of the Buttfumble game)

It's to be expected at this point.

Hell, even in the 2014 Super Bowl season when the Jets went 4-12...

Patriots 27
Jets 25

Patriots 17
Jets 16

If that were the Browns I'd be a little more concerned, that game was nothing less than I expected.

Shh, Pete. Don't tell the scaredy cat media that. The 2014 Patriots were a wagon. No way would they beat the Geno Smith Jets twice by a total of 3 points.

The doom and gloom is getting out of control.

Pats media and some fans are the only group who cares about style points, just win the game.

Plenty of the Pats championship teams won a bunch of close games, Denver barely beat anyone but more than a score last year and we saw how that turned out.

The Giants and Ravens played some of the ugliest games imaginable during their Super Bowl runs.

2010 Pats went 14-2 won 4 of their last 5 games by 30+ points and lost to the Jets in the Divisional Round, those style points really helped.

Curran is right.
But looking back at last year Denver the SB champ was fatally flawed...at QB.
Have fans here forgotten the # of times the Donks won close games on fluky last minute events?
The incessant *****ing here about them having a horseshoe up their posterior?

Unless a team is truly dominant, many times the SB entrants are one of the good teams that has stayed healthy enough, gotten it together at the right time of the season, and fortunate enough to be matched with someone not their kryptonite.

This team has a flawed D, one that struggles for the final out, but is still better than maybe 2/3rds. Depending on what's going on with the offense in the playoffs, from kicker to TE, we've got a shot.

The conclusion is an overreaction: "The record looks great. The team really doesn’t."

I tend to think of Division Games, especially Road Division Games, in a special category. But, I also think we can't have our collective heads in the sand or up our butts.

In January they're going to have to beat two hungry and good teams, maybe one on the road. Right now, I don't think that's a cinch.

It doesn't. We're nearly into December and the team is playing it's worst football of the season. I guarantee you Belichick isn't happy with that win and the way they're playing.

Games are always ugly vs the Jests. Is Curren new to the beat?

exactly, we won by a combined 3 points in our superbowl year 2014 against the jets. jets are 4 of the last 7 in Nyc against the patriots

It doesn't. We're nearly into December and the team is playing it's worst football of the season. I guarantee you Belichick isn't happy with that win and the way they're playing.

I dont fully understand why Curran thinks that yesterday was a regression. They are making the same stupid coverage mistakes as they have been but in the last two games I felt more energy from the D than in the previous games (Texans excluded).

They are still not a good defense - only average - but seem to be trending slowly into the right direction. If that will be enough nobody knows..

exactly, we won by a combined 3 points in our superbowl year 2014 against the jets. jets are 4 of the last 7 in Nyc against the patriots

I'd need to confirm but i'd bet in the BB era, the margin of victory vs AFC East teams is less than what it is vs the rest of the league.

I dont fully understand why Curran thinks that yesterday was a regression. They are making the same stupid coverage mistakes as they have been but in the last two games I felt more energy from the D than in the previous games (Texans excluded).

They are still not a good defense - only average - but seem to be trending slowly into the right direction. If that will be enough nobody knows..

They have to be the worst defense that is #3 in points allowed.

I'm dead serious.

Including this game, the last 8 with the jets have been decided by a TD or less. And people are surprised when the game is decided by a TD or less? 9-2 and in control of it's own destiny is what teams/fans really want at this point in the season.

Plus, who wants to peak in week 12, better to peak come playoffs.

In order to be a championship team you have to win some ugly games. I thought the defense did a better job forcing turnovers and stopping the run. The offense did enough to win even though Gronk left early and Brady is playing through an injury. I am pleased we won a tough division game on the road and have a 9-2 record coming down the home stretch of the season.

They have to be the worst defense that is #3 in points allowed.

I'm dead serious.

They are also the best defense that is #3 in points allowed as there is only one team at that spot. So am not sure what your exact point is.

I think the entire points allowed vs. other stats angle has been exhaustively debated and yesterday's game didn't add anything new to that discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back