PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also sounds like a guy who's contract framework is very close ...
More than likely waiting for Ana's approval. :D

I love your optimism, Icy.

I'm not sure that I see the same that you do when reading that though.

It also could be that Welker is simply stating his desire to be a Patriot for the rest of his career.

If they made up that much ground between them and the 2 yr reported deal, then that is impressive.

Since we don't have much to go on, I guess being optimistic is the right way to go. Hopefully, they continue to work and reach an agreement sooner rather than later. It would benefit the team in obvious ways come FA.

I love your optimism, Icy.

I'm not sure that I see the same that you do when reading that though.

It also could be that Welker is simply stating his desire to be a Patriot for the rest of his career.

If they made up that much ground between them and the 2 yr reported deal, then that is impressive.

Since we don't have much to go on, I guess being optimistic is the right way to go. Hopefully, they continue to work and reach an agreement sooner rather than later. It would benefit the team in obvious ways come FA.

It's hard not to be optimistic after those quotes. I thought he was going to hold out for sure, but a potential holdout wouldn't be saying those things. As far as the initial offer, who knows what he was looking for - more years, more pay, maybe both. Guess we'll find out soon.

I'd be happier if they let Wes go (has nothing to do with the drop.....I love Wes)

I'm just sick and tired of defenses having only to defend the short/middle of the field. We already have two guys that can do that in Gronk and Hernandez.

Get me some outside receivers that both safeties have to worry about. Make defenses cover the entire field

I'd be happier if they let Wes go (has nothing to do with the drop.....I love Wes)

I'm just sick and tired of defenses having only to defend the short/middle of the field. We already have two guys that can do that in Gronk and Hernandez.

Get me some outside receivers that both safeties have to worry about. Make defenses cover the entire field

If he's not going to sign a team friendly deal then I would too. The way I see it, the Pats stated their intentions when they offered him 2 years $16 million fully guaranteed. They see value in his services for a couple of years but past that I don't think they see as much value in him. They'd love to sign him but it has to be team friendly.

I don't think he'll hold out but going on the offer he reportedly turned down, the money was good it just wasn't secure enough for him. I think he'd like more years. I'm thinking in the vicinity of 4 years at around $35-40 million dollars with a little over half guaranteed. 'm not willing to pay him $10 million a year for four years. Even if they make it a top heavy deal for a couple of years and gradually decrease the deal over the final two you'd be looking at paying him potentially over $10 million a year...he's not worth that imo.

If the Pats original offer was what it was and Welker wants what people are speculating then it's hard to imagine that there's much middle ground to work with. Hopefully Wes will see it the Patriots way but if he doesn't I wouldn't be objective to trading him. In two years we won't get anything for him.

I want Welker on the team.

Deep down we all do.

Hopefully a 3 year deal will come to fruition.

Everyone needs to be mindful that cap money is going to be needed to found Gronk, Spike and Hernandez extensions in 2014.

Deep down we all do.

Everyone needs to be mindful that cap money is going to be needed to found Gronk, Spike and Hernandez extensions in 2014.

True. But in 2014 the cap number is supposed to increase a TON. So the timing, if I understand things correctly, should work out well for the Pats in that regard.

If he's not going to sign a team friendly deal then I would too. The way I see it, the Pats stated their intentions when they offered him 2 years $16 million fully guaranteed. They see value in his services for a couple of years but past that I don't think they see as much value in him. They'd love to sign him but it has to be team friendly.

I don't think he'll hold out but going on the offer he reportedly turned down, the money was good it just wasn't secure enough for him. I think he'd like more years. I'm thinking in the vicinity of 4 years at around $35-40 million dollars with a little over half guaranteed. 'm not willing to pay him $10 million a year for four years. Even if they make it a top heavy deal for a couple of years and gradually decrease the deal over the final two you'd be looking at paying him potentially over $10 million a year...he's not worth that imo.

If the Pats original offer was what it was and Welker wants what people are speculating then it's hard to imagine that there's much middle ground to work with. Hopefully Wes will see it the Patriots way but if he doesn't I wouldn't be objective to trading him. In two years we won't get anything for him.

Kind of like when the team was offering Mankins 5/$35 and he was so insulted he would never play a down here again until they gave him his 6/$52M deal and made him the top paid interior lineman in the league - which I wish he actually played like he was.

Deep down we all do.

Actually the people who need to be mindful of that are the ones persuing Super Mario and Mike Wallace. Welker's deal will be long past before any deals for the TE's start hitting the cap well above their contract average. Mario and Mike's and Mayo's and Mankins deals would be peaking in their back end. Although by then we will at least be out from under Brady at long last and with Mallett at the helm it will probably all be of little consequence anyway. :woohoo:

Actually the people who need to be mindful of that are the ones persuing Super Mario and Mike Wallace. Welker's deal will be long past before any deals for the TE's start hitting the cap well above their contract average. Mario and Mike's and Mayo's and Mankins deals would be peaking in their back end. Although by then we will at least be out from under Brady at long last and with Mallett at the helm it will probably all be of little consequence anyway. :woohoo:
You expect only 2 more years from Brady?

You expect only 2 more years from Brady?

Misplace your sarcasm detector?

I expect Brady to be extended for another 2-3 years by the end of 2013... Unless they really piss him off, of course.

True. But in 2014 the cap number is supposed to increase a TON. So the timing, if I understand things correctly, should work out well for the Pats in that regard.
But in 2014 doesn't Mankins and Mayos deal also start to increase and Brady takes 18 mill that year too. Vince I presume will be ready for a new deal (although should be a lot cheaper than his current deal)

I'm encouraged by Welkers twitter response. He is unrealistic to think they are going to sign him to a meaningful 7 year contract. However, a contract can be structured for 7 years that has dead years attached to the end to make the numbers seem larger. What I mean is that they could agree on a 4 years deal with $16M guaranteed, add 3 more years onto that for funny money that they both know he will never see. I think a 7 year $49M contract that is really a 4 year $32M contract (he can be cut and paid nothing after year4) is doable. It has been reported the Pats offered two year at $16M guaranteed. Add two more to that (non-guaranteed). Four years at $8M is pretty damn good for a WR over 30.

The way I see it, the Pats stated their intentions when they offered him 2 years $16 million fully guaranteed.

Have you ever heard of the term "trial balloon"?

Moreover, you're focusing on the two-year part, but downplaying the fully guaranteed part, which is something that almost never happens in the NFL.

I'm encouraged by Welkers twitter response. He is unrealistic to think they are going to sign him to a meaningful 7 year contract. However, a contract can be structured for 7 years that has dead years attached to the end to make the numbers seem larger. What I mean is that they could agree on a 4 years deal with $16M guaranteed, add 3 more years onto that for funny money that they both know he will never see. I think a 7 year $49M contract that is really a 4 year $32M contract (he can be cut and paid nothing after year4) is doable. It has been reported the Pats offered two year at $16M guaranteed. Add two more to that (non-guaranteed). Four years at $8M is pretty damn good for a WR over 30.

You forgot the ".........." at the end of that tweet.

I think Welker wants a 20-year deal. :eek:

Last edited:
Reiss estimated today that the Pats would have had about 25 million in cap room, depending on what the actually cap is of course. With the Welker tag that knocks it down to 16 million, give or take.

Given the number of FAs that we have to sign, plus draft picks, we can forget about Williams, Wallace, Carr, Colston, Lloyd, Finnegan etc.

FA will be more about treading water this year by retaining our own. And that's FINE AND DANDY considering this team was pretty damn good last year. As far as any new infusion of talent it seems like that will have to come the old fashioned way -- through the draft.

Last edited:
Reiss estimated today that the Pats would have had about 25 million in cap room, depending on what the actually cap is of course. With the Welker tag that knocks it down to 16 million, give or take.

Given the number of FAs that we have to sign, plus draft picks, we can forget about Williams, Wallace, Carr, Colston, Lloyd, Finnegan etc. FA will be more about treading water this year. Any real improvement will have to come the old fashioned way -- in the draft.

Yep, looks like the Mario Williams fantasy is over.

PS Randy Moss killed it in his workout. BRING BACK RANDY!!:nooo:

Given the number of FAs that we have to sign, plus draft picks, we can forget about Williams, Wallace, Carr, Colston, Lloyd, Finnegan etc. FA will be more about treading water this year. Any real improvement will have to come the old fashioned way -- in the draft.

Given that the Patriots are among the teams with the most cap room, I'd say that you are being overly pessimistic about this. The Patriots can clear room, and they will if they need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore