PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cunningham Looks Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad someone else mentioned Deaderick, thought he was excellent today, With him, Brace and Cunningham theres some real youth on the line with great potential

Just re-watched 4th Q and OT Defense. I was surprised by how well Fletcher played. He did a fantastic job sniffing out the dump offs to RB.

Aside from being quick, he really seemed to diagnose the plays well. Considering his best skill in college was rushing the passer I was surprised by how well he was playing in space. It would be great to have a MLB who can get after the passer.

I think that is one of the most underrated aspects of our 3-4. Our Super Bowl defenses never had a dominant rusher. In fact I don't think a single player ever had double digit sacks. We could get pressure from every position which made the entire unit less predictable.

Really impressed with Cunningham, but equally impressed with all of the first and second year guys who were rotating up front... great to see that we can do this once again, and there are so many interchangable parts...

What about Brace? He didn't play for the second week in a row!

I don't know if he'll become as good as Willie either, but he is playing better at five games than Willie was. It took Willie better part of a season to figure out how to stop the run, and two seasons to add the nearly 20 pounds he needed to set the edge with. So Cunningham is on a great trajectory, if he can hold it.

As a wise man once said "we shouldn't be waxing his bronze statue yet," I agree he's not a stud yet. But, considering this is VERY early in his rookie year, you have to be very very pleased. He actually looks like he could be a legitimate starting outside linebacker, and we haven't had one since my boy Willie left. I really don't know if he'll ever be Willie, probably won't be. I think people forget (or didn't realize) just how dominating a force Willie truly was. It didn't always show up in the stat sheet, but the guy really wreaked havoc game after game. He lost some production in the prime of his career, because of injuries. But, if you go back and watch the games from those SB years, you'll see him making a lot of plays we haven't seen an olb make here for a while now.

The crazy thing is, not only did we start 4 rookies on D, but they all played fantastic.

McCourty was our best cb and came up big in the 4th Q and OT.

Spikes was a tackling machine and impacted quite a few run plays.

Cunningham was our best player on D IMO.

Deadrick was stellar against the run and even got some decent pressure and a sack.

I also agree that JC looked really good coming off the edge and even when he couldn't get to flacco, I think JF knew he has coming and just took the dump too early sometimes.....The only criticism I have is something that pisses off about a lot of players but on that play where Oher tackled him (got the holding call) but JC jumped up and started complaining to the refs for the call.....The play was still going on and flacco had rolled out of the pocket to his side....JUST GET UP AND FINISH THE DAMN PLAY!!! I hate this when guys stop playing and beg for the call....If you were held they will call it but if they don't call it you are now taking yourself out of the play....

I also agree that JC looked really good coming off the edge and even when he couldn't get to flacco, I think JF knew he has coming and just took the dump too early sometimes.....The only criticism I have is something that pisses off about a lot of players but on that play where Oher tackled him (got the holding call) but JC jumped up and started complaining to the refs for the call.....The play was still going on and flacco had rolled out of the pocket to his side....JUST GET UP AND FINISH THE DAMN PLAY!!! I hate this when guys stop playing and beg for the call....If you were held they will call it but if they don't call it you are now taking yourself out of the play....

Honestly, if he just gets up and finishes the play, they probably don't call it. The ref didn't throw the flag until well after he started waving his arms around and yelling.

As a wise man once said "we shouldn't be waxing his bronze statue yet," I agree he's not a stud yet. But, considering this is VERY early in his rookie year, you have to be very very pleased. He actually looks like he could be a legitimate starting outside linebacker, and we haven't had one since my boy Willie left. I really don't know if he'll ever be Willie, probably won't be. I think people forget (or didn't realize) just how dominating a force Willie truly was. It didn't always show up in the stat sheet, but the guy really wreaked havoc game after game. He lost some production in the prime of his career, because of injuries. But, if you go back and watch the games from those SB years, you'll see him making a lot of plays we haven't seen an olb make here for a while now.

Plus, Willie was the emotional and psychological guts of that Defense - - he was the Boss.

They have missed that stare the other team down swagger ever since he left.

McCourty was great at the end of the game, but he got downright picked on early in that game.

Which means we out adjusted them.

With young players, they tend to start strong then fade. Dominating 60 minutes is the next progression

Turnovers
Redzone defense
Third and longs
Third down
Adjustments
60 minutes of domination

Just re-watched 4th Q and OT Defense. I was surprised by how well Fletcher played. He did a fantastic job sniffing out the dump offs to RB.

Aside from being quick, he really seemed to diagnose the plays well. Considering his best skill in college was rushing the passer I was surprised by how well he was playing in space. It would be great to have a MLB who can get after the passer.

I think that is one of the most underrated aspects of our 3-4. Our Super Bowl defenses never had a dominant rusher. In fact I don't think a single player ever had double digit sacks. We could get pressure from every position which made the entire unit less predictable.

Fletcher came in for Guyton. Belicheck was clearly p*ssed at Guyton on the sidelines after he did one of his patented half hearted hand tackles against Flacco on the scramble for a first down rather than smashing him. Fletcher came in after that for most of the Guyton snaps. Upgrade.

As for Cunningham, he's still on the steep part of his learning curve and is improving almost with every snap. He's making plays. A long way to go before he can be compared to McGinest (other than physically), but but it's great to watch the improvement. We don''t yet know how good he will be, and probably won't really know until next year.

What a crop of Florida rookies.

Last edited:
Somebody's got a little grudge against Guyton.

I'm normally unable study single players in the game. I try to, but i usually get too excited and can't just focus on one person. the camera coverage doesn't help.

but i thought Cunningham looked awesome. The "strip sack" play was a lucky bounce for the ravens and i don't remember a single run making it outside on him.

He also had nice pressure on several other plays and induced the huge overtime personal foul call on that moron on the Ravens who shoved him. Kinda reminded me of willie today.

What a damn stud.

Keegs, you are right on the money. I can't believe a rookie like this, holding his outside contain as well as he does. Michael Oher is supposed to be a young stud lineman, but his penalties showed that he had his hands full with Cunningham. VERY promising.

As you can see from the Patriot careers of some of the Pats high defensive draft picks, Wilfork, Meriweather, Chung, etc. it takes some time to get the entire defensive scheme. What you are seeing from Cunningham is that he is playing his position well at this time, and he is making a few "big time plays" each game. He is getting better every gzame he plays. Next year he could really be a force!!

BTW, did anyone else check that Crable almost had a sack yesterday, and he actually rushed the passer a few times. I've been watching Cunningham, and I think that he is going to be a player! Give him some time to develop, but until then, I think that we will continue to see "previews" of what is to come......

Pats OLB position needs some playmakers....maybe Cunningham is one. Can Crable's light switch on and we actually get 2 young playmakers at OLB?
Getting the edge set and getting a pass rush would be awesome.

Lots of young talent that has been developing and improving over the past couple of months. Hope there's no big setbacks. This team could be really good by the time playoffs roll around. I expect next year to be the year that everyone puts it together and they make a solid run to the SB...

I thought Cunningham took advantage of Oher not respecting him early, and that was part of why the Ravens weren't able to pull away from the Patriots. Cunningham seems to be part of a very impressive Gators class that's transitioning well in the NFL.

Props to the young man.

He played well but lets not go crazy yet.He needs to be more consistent from game to game.I would still give Shawne Merriman a look if he is released.Nothing to lose with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents