PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cunningham Looks Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played well but lets not go crazy yet.He needs to be more consistent from game to game.I would still give Shawne Merriman a look if he is released.Nothing to lose with him.

He utterly abused a good player. You don't get much better of a performance than that without one of those 6 sack days. He made a mess of that whole side of the line.

That being said, there's no guarantee that he wasn't just a bad matchup for Oher and won't look terrible next week against McKinney (?)

Saying wasn't great just isn't factual though

where is that D thread thaat talked about the switch we made when Arrington got hurt???

Reiss posts Belichick's comments about Cunningham:

Cunningham catches Belichick's eye - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
One day after the Patriots’ 23-20 overtime win over the Ravens, coach Bill Belichick praised the play of rookie outside linebacker Jermaine Cunningham.

Cunningham, who has emerged as a starter in the 3-4 alignment and one of the team’s top pass rushers in sub packages, finished with six tackles, one sack and a forced fumble.

“I thought Jermaine played very aggressively. He certainly had some good plays, some big plays,” Belichick said. “He had a good pass rush there, got a holding [penalty] on [Michael] Oher. Made some plays in the running game. He still has a long way to go, but he’s working hard and I thought he did play very aggressively, which is what we need at that position.”

Belichick added that five-year veteran Rob Ninkovich, on the opposite side, also played well.

“I thought our outside linebackers did a pretty good job of keeping [Ray] Rice from busting a lot of plays outside, which he’s been known to do,” Belichick said. “Then our inside defenders did a good enough job trying to keep him contained. He’s a really hard guy to shut down. They’re a good running team.”

I thought Cunningham took advantage of Oher not respecting him early, and that was part of why the Ravens weren't able to pull away from the Patriots. Cunningham seems to be part of a very impressive Gators class that's transitioning well in the NFL.

Props to the young man.

Trust me, the Gators are very much missing all of these guys. :(

When the kid has 3 consecutive games of decent to good performance, then I'll be happy.

Trust me, the Gators are very much missing all of these guys. :(

Carlos Dunlap still buried at 3rd string on the Bengals, BTW. Perhaps he's injured, but I found Cunningham a lot more impressive last year than Dunlap in the games I studied...

I found Cunningham a lot more impressive last year than Dunlap in the games I studied...
You're definitely not alone there.

Carlos Dunlap still buried at 3rd string on the Bengals, BTW. Perhaps he's injured, but I found Cunningham a lot more impressive last year than Dunlap in the games I studied...

In college, I didn't. I also thought Dunlap got a lot more attention from the opposing O-Line than Cunningham did. However, in the pros, Cunningham has come on a lot faster than Dunlap.

Plus, Willie was the emotional and psychological guts of that Defense - - he was the Boss.

They have missed that stare the other team down swagger ever since he left.

Don't forget about another thing Willie brought to the table....he was SOOO clutch!

stop of Edge on the goal line
sack of Peyton forcing a missed field goal by vanderjerk
sack of David Carr (?) in 03 i believe in ot forcing a punt
and on and on and on

willie was a beast at 'sc too. i went to a few 'sc games and i remember wondering who this maniac was running around blowing up all the offensive plays. he was a one man wrecking crew. run or pass, willie was right there. on offense they had a similar guy. he was noticeably better than everyone else. curtis conway. he was everywhere and faster than everybody. if jc can come close to willie i will be thrilled.

When the kid has 3 consecutive games of decent to good performance, then I'll be happy.

Well, he's had two in a row now. He played well against Miami and was very good against Baltimore. I guess we'll have to see what he can do against SD.

Well, he's had two in a row now. He played well against Miami and was very good against Baltimore. I guess we'll have to see what he can do against SD.

If he gets sack on Rivers worthy of the fit he threw in the game in KC, I'll sing his praises and buy his jersey.

The kid hasn't really had a game where he looked bad yet so that's a little harsh. I thought he'd be a work in progress and somewhat of a project, but ever since he got healthy he's been an immediate positive contributor.

Assuming I remember what I heard correctly, BB being friends with Urban Meyer and being able to work UF players out privately is really paying its dividends. Hernandez, Spikes and Cunningham all look like they were great value picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes