PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crap, McDaniels May be Raider Top Choice Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want Josh, you probably get the Weis offense, then Russell is not the QB you are thinking about. Brady Quinn groomed under Charlie and then grabbed by the Raiders to work under a HC who uses the same system and has experience with grooming young QBs (Cassell) and coaching stud veterans (Tommy)...add in Rob Ryan and his tough D...Ugly. That is a move that could bring the Raiders back to prominence - the big challenge is the thugs on the roster.
I don't really like you much. Y'know? Especially when you make sense.

I have to hope JMcD has more intelligence than that.

Isn't it true that the Raiders haven't even been able to speak with McDaniels yet? I still wonder if this is just conjecture to some extent. Isn't Josh basically just a few years removed from being a coaching assistant? I like him but what makes him such a highly regarded candidate. Nothing he's done makes me think he's all of sudden gonna be a great head coach. Not yet at least. I really think the Raiders are reaching with this one. And it's starting to get embarrassing that no one wants the job.

This is the thing. Al Davis made a huge, huge mistake in canning Art Shell. Who in their right mind is going to give this "job opening" even more than a cursory glance? There's not enough gold in Fort Knox to offer sufficient compensation.

This opening is going to remain open for quite some time, and it's more than likely they will have to dig a ways down into the college coaching ranks to fiind someone with sufficient football knowledge and suicidal tendencies!

Lord save us all....

How could this not happen? Josh would have all the pieces to the puzzle! Consider:

1) First pick in the draft will net him a QB well versed in style of offense he's looking to run, AND Damon Huard is a free agent this offseason. There's your number one and two, and Andrew Walter makes three, or Tuissappo if you want a Rohan Davey clone over a Drew Bledsoe clone.

2) You have a WR experienced in this offense in Doug Gabriel, along with two other receivers that many posters on this board are sure would excel in this offense in Randy Moss and Jerry Porter.

3) You have a stable of running backs that surely cannot be any worse than Antowain Smith, Kevin Faulk, and Michael Cloud... well, okay, they might be worse than Kevin Faulk, but that's what your fourth round pick is for, a Leon Washington type guy.

4) We all know that guard is the key position on the offensive line, and looking at the Raiders, they've got about 9 different candidates for that position, starting with a former 2nd overall draft choice in Robert Gallery. They might even have a center too, who knows? Now the tackles might be a problem, I agree, but that's what your second and third round picks are for, Matt Light and Nick Kaczur clones.

5) They have got a really terrific punter in Shane Lechler. We've had trouble with that position recently, no doubt young Josh is eager to head to a franchise with some consistent production at that slot.

6) Sebastian Janikowski. It sounds a lot like Gostkowski, doesn't it? And he's a former first round pick! Must be good.

7) Rob Ryan has actually put together a decent, NFL level defense on the other side of the ball, and surely will not resent a young man who a few years ago was fetching coffee for him taking over as his boss. Perhaps the the two fifth, the sixth, and seventh round draft picks will mollify him.

8) Complete freedom to pull together his coaching staff. Art Shell took his offensive coordinator from a Bed n' Breakfast in Idaho for gawd's sakes. McDaniels should hold open tryouts for the position. Who knows, the next offensive coordinator of the Raiders might be working at a pet shop right now. Couldn't be any less chaotic than coaching the Raiders - good work experience, I say.

I'm afraid we're about to lose our young offensive mastermind folks. This move makes too much sense not to happen, providing of course that everything goes perfectly, and Al Davis exercises little to no control over decision making.

Last edited:
Isn't it true that the Raiders haven't even been able to speak with McDaniels yet? I still wonder if this is just conjecture to some extent. Isn't Josh basically just a few years removed from being a coaching assistant? I like him but what makes him such a highly regarded candidate. Nothing he's done makes me think he's all of sudden gonna be a great head coach. Not yet at least. I really think the Raiders are reaching with this one. And it's starting to get embarrassing that no one wants the job.

Davis has a history of taking young, under-experienced coaches and giving them their first head coaching jobs-John Madden, Mike Shanahan, John Gruden. Obviously one reason is that it is easier to keep these young coaches under his thumb and keep control of the team. The other part is that Al Davis has always sought innovation and he feels like young coaches bring new wrinkles to the X's and O's. Davis is a enamored by the vertical passing game, something thet (to NEM's dismay) Josh McDaniels has used more widley with the Pats than previous OC's. I also think the fact that Josh has kind of been brought up with Brady would be very valuable to the Raiders as the rebuilding of that organization is going to start with a young QB. Josh would bring to a very undisciplined team the Patriot Way of doing things.

How could this not happen? Josh would have all the pieces to the puzzle! Consider:

I'm afraid we're about to lose our young offensive mastermind folks. This move makes too much sense not to happen, providing of course that everything goes perfectly, and Al Davis exercises little to no control over decision making.

OK . . . I admit defeat. You have officially broken my sarcasm detector. :confused:

OK . . . I admit defeat. You have officially broken my sarcasm detector. :confused:
Try the second reason I give. For all looking to fine tune their sarcasm detectors, its an excellent callibration device. :D

Re: NFL Network: McDaniels Raiders Leading Candidate

Wonder Twin Powers ACTIVATE.
panel-3.gif

Form of.... a merge!

How old is McDaniels, 32? The Raiders think this is a good idea?

Because of the success of Mangini and Payton in NO, teams are gonna go after the young, hotshot assistants. And probably a lot of them will crash and burn because they're just not ready. I don't think McDaniels is ready quite yet.

How old is McDaniels, 32? The Raiders think this is a good idea?

Because of the success of Mangini and Payton in NO, teams are gonna go after the young, hotshot assistants. And probably a lot of them will crash and burn because they're just not ready. I don't think McDaniels is ready quite yet.

Ol Al Davis is looking for his next John Madden but any coach that wants to have a say of how his team is ran should send them a nice "NO THANKS".

My understanding is that he is a few years removed from college.

I think he would be the youngest head coach ever by half a decade, but don't quote me on that. ;)

It ain't gonna happen, IMO.

Last edited:
If the Pats win the SB then I'm sure the Raiders will give it serious consideration if they're not already.

oops I meant to say WHEN the Pats win the SB...

McDaniels is 30. Here's what the Herald's Patriots blog has to say:
The NFL Network is now reporting that Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, 30, has moved into the driver’s seat in the Oakland Raiders coaching search. Earlier in the week, Adam Shefter reported that McDaniels and USC quarterbacks coach Steve Sarkisian were the two leading candidates on Wednesday. Today, Sarkisian rejected an offer to become the Raiders’ next coach, according to ESPN’s Len Pasquarelli. Another leading candidate, Chargers receivers coach James Lofton, also pulled himself out of the running and may become new-Dolphin coach Cam Cameron’s replacement as San Diego offensive coordinator.

Age, clearly, isn’t an issue with Oakland owner Al Davis, with Sarkisian, at 32, not much older than McDaniels. Davis has hit home runs in the past with young assistants like Jon Gruden and John Madden, so none of this is out of character. It’s worth noting, too, that should McDaniels become Raiders coach, it could reunite him with Oakland DC Rob Ryan, who was Patriots linebackers coach from 2000-03.

The NFL Network’s report said that McDaniels hasn’t been interviewed yet, but the Raiders plan to go after him once the Patriots season wraps up.

Cmon...Josh isnt DUMB ENOUGH to just go to that dump and try to rebuild such a disasterous organization.

Or is he? :(

I see it this way.

If he goes its a huge chance for him to be a well known product. But if he fails miserably it will only hurt his reputation for the future.

Theres pros and cons but in the end i think the cons outweigh the pros.

Unless hes hard up for cash.

I'm just sick of coordinaters leaving. Especially good ones. What next if Josh gets taken? Brady & Belichick will take care of the offense and no O Coordinator?

I'm just sick of coordinaters leaving. Especially good ones. What next if Josh gets taken? Brady & Belichick will take care of the offense and no O Coordinator?

Daboll...

;)

aka Grizzly Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft