PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowboys SS Roy Williams asks to be cut or traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well played as usual. Just making sure I am not misunderstood.
DW Toys

I think you have been more than clear, cousin. :)

He's been cut and is now an FA. Will the Pats look at this guy in a Rodney role?
They both like hurting people...

That was my initial thought. If Tank is a no-go, Roy might be a good option.

It's funny: Roy Williams went from being one of the most over-rated players in football to now one of the most under-rated.

All you hear now is casual fans parroting the same line that he can't cover worth crap, etc.; however, I think if used properly he can still be an effective player. And as we all know, BB is a master at protecting a players weakness and playing to his strength.

Totally agree. I'd be shocked if Belichick doesn't see a use for him as the Tank Williams big-safety type. Some team will probably overvalue and overpay him, but for a reasonable cost I can definitely see a use for him.

Totally agree. I'd be shocked if Belichick doesn't see a use for him as the Tank Williams big-safety type. Some team will probably overvalue and overpay him, but for a reasonable cost I can definitely see a use for him.

**COUGH**Redskins**COUGH**

I'll love if the Pats sign him watching some of the posters in this thread backtrack and regale the genius of BB and how he'll know how to properly use Williams. ;)

I think someone should change the thread to "Do we need a safety who cannot cover your mother running a route".

Last edited:
Not sure what happened this past year, but the guy's stats are rpetty decent through 2007.

Roy L. Williams: Career Stats

He was hurt last year and only played Week 1-7 last year. Looking at the splits, looks like Cowboys might have given up slightly a few more yards early in the season than later in the season, but probably had more to do with Wade taking over playcalling duties than anything else. Either way, the 'Boys had a very good pass D, averaging under 200 yds a game.

Not sure what happened this past year, but the guy's stats are rpetty decent through 2007.

Roy L. Williams: Career Stats

Have to agree. His coverage is weak but overplayed. He has more PDF than any of our safeties. He would be an instant upgrade. He was a team guy and not a trouble maker. His stats insist that he can make the INT. He is still relatively young. He has made a Pro Bowl or two. Isn't Tank Williams the type that BB sought last year, the sames as Williams but with less talent? I do not think BB depends heavily in coverage from his SS(see Harrison, Sanders et,al). They are more rover backers. Compare Williams tackles to anyone else here. He was also 4.5 speed and benched 400lbs in college. He has much more speed than our SS and larger.

OU said this about him in 01: Its sports information office lists him as a strong safety, but that's just so he'll fit nicely into the compartmentalized world of depth charts. But in reality, Williams is part outside linebacker, part strong safety, part free safety and part cornerback, not to mention a total pain in the neck to offenses. He's a deadly concoction whose versatile skills allow him to play in any down-and-distance situation.

Remember the deal with Moss. "He is going to poison the team. He is on his last legs. He has lost a step." Rumor mongers.
Remember the Welker deal." Are we crazy to give up a second rounder for a kid that can't take the beating"
Harrison;"He's all done". Seau too.
I would love to have the job of that critic...where the hell is he?

DW Toys quote for the day on Williams, cousins: "We need the dues".

DW Toys

Last edited:
Keep dreaming, 'cause it ain't gonna happen. Williams sucks.

Keep dreaming, 'cause it ain't gonna happen. Williams sucks.

Biscuit would be an ideal candidate to fill the hybrid LB/S role here in NE. No, he is not a great cover guy down the field, but we wouldn't use him in that role. He is big, strong and fast. I expect him in for a visit, at least.

I agree. We all know he can't cover but this D is soft over the middle. WR's have no fear taking a pop and will catch in traffic with no worries. I would love to see someone that people are afraid of going over the middle.

If he was willing to play the hybrid role and take less money im all for it. But not starting him at SS for all 3 downs.

Biscuit would be an ideal candidate to fill the hybrid LB/S role here in NE. No, he is not a great cover guy down the field, but we wouldn't use him in that role. He is big, strong and fast. I expect him in for a visit, at least.

Let me withdraw and rephrase:

If BB thinks he has utility as a hybrid LB/S, I'd be fine with that. I don't particularly like him because he's a dirty, cheap player.

Of course, it depends how much money he'll be asking for. He will NOT be our starting SS.

Last edited:

If BB thinks he has utility as a hybrid LB/S, I'd be fine with that. I don't particularly like him because he's a dirty, cheap player.

Of course, it depends how much money he'll be asking for. He will NOT be our starting SS.

Like Rodney?

If he is healthy, I could see him beating out James Sanders. The one thing that would hurt him is the fact that Sanders has been entrenched in this system.

Like Rodney?

Ever heard of the Roy Williams rule? I've never seen Rodney do a horse collar tackle. In fact, I don't think Rodney is a particularly dirty player either. Maybe in his youger days, but not now.

If he is healthy, I could see him beating out James Sanders. The one thing that would hurt him is the fact that Sanders has been entrenched in this system.

And the fact that James Sanders doesn't have a history of being benched on passing downs.

Ain't gonna happen.

Ever heard of the Roy Williams rule? I've never seen Rodney do a horse collar tackle. In fact, I don't think Rodney is a particularly dirty player either. Maybe in his youger days, but not now.

His pre-patriot days he was dirty and post patriot he was not? I love rodney but he has dirty tendencies. Lots of after the whistle stuff. I mean he did pull a Bernard Pollard on trent Green. same hit. Lets call a spade a spade.

really cant rememeber sanders breaking up many passing plays last year. of course that may also be that he had the man covered well. i also think for the right price ...take him...that is if BB thinks so..if he doesnt...then i dont want him :D

What evidence do you have of this? Through college and his early years in the pros, he used a perfectly legal technique of tackle. A type of tackle that existed and was legal since the dawn of football.

A few high profile injuries using the horse-collar tackle later, and it's outlawed. Roy Williams -- having used and depended on this tackle his entire career -- has had some trouble shaking his instincts and would still occasionally attempt it after it was deemed illegal.

How does this make him a cheap & dirty player? Unless there is more I'm missing?

BTW, fans of 31 other teams would call Vince Wilfork "cheap & dirty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes