PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowboys SS Roy Williams asks to be cut or traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before anyone suggests it, NO the Patriots shouldn't be interested in Roy Williams. The guy is a bust who struggles in coverage. There's a reason the Cowboys want to get rid of him.

I wouldn't want him for free.

Seriously. He is terrible in coverage, and I wouldn't feel all that great about one of my players trying to end careers on every tackle, either.

Big difference Jack. As you and all of us know, J. Sanders cannot tackle as some imply. He is a liability in pass and lesser so, on the run. He is a great communicator to give him some due. Williams would be a far better tackler and harder hitter. So at the end of the day lets fairly rate them:

Pass Coverage; Williams=D- Sanders=D-

Run stopping ability; Williams=B+ Sanders=C

You choose, and my grades are fair and accurate. Give Sanders the nod on knowing the called defenses and where to line up. He loses points on knowing what his own angles on coverage are to the point of a D-.

Williams would be an Incomplete because I do not know that part of his game. Williams, though overrated, has a couple of Pro Bowls under his belt. He is bigger at the point of attack and in the box.

Williams is still only 29.
In 2007 with only 13 starts he had 92 tackles and 5 PDFE and 2 INT.
In 2006 he had 62 tackles, 9 PDEF and 5 INT.

Again, being fair because our defenses differ, it would appear that Williams was by far the more productive player, but that can be an apparition.

I don't know. I would say he is an upgrade on Sanders and perhaps his coverage might be a little better than stated.

I bet you can sign Williams right now for what they overpaid (Sorry a dig. Couldn't help myself) Sanders for. Bet Williams starts over Sanders day one IMO.

DW Toys

Bull****. Try:

Coverage:
Sanders= C-
Williams= F-

Run-stopping:
Sanders= C+
Williams= B

Sure, Williams is better against the run, but he's so bad against the pass that even Sanders, who isn't particularly good in this area, looks stellar by comparison.

Let's all think of other things a normal person could cover but Roy Williams can't.

I'll suggest dinner and a movie.

Big difference Jack. As you and all of us know, J. Sanders cannot tackle as some imply. He is a liability in pass and lesser so, on the run. He is a great communicator to give him some due. Williams would be a far better tackler and harder hitter. So at the end of the day lets fairly rate them:

Pass Coverage; Williams=D- Sanders=D-

Run stopping ability; Williams=B+ Sanders=C

You choose, and my grades are fair and accurate. I bet you can sign Williams right now for what they overpaid (Sorry a dig. Couldn't help myself) Sanders for. Bet Williams starts over Sanders day one IMO.

blah...blah..blah

DW Toys

Does this ever repeating monomaniacal baseless diatribe remind anyone else here of that senile old geezer fixated on the Pats OC's continuous rants?

May be interesting for the hybrid safety/lb role Tank Williams was supposed to be playing, but not worth it I'd say.

That was my initial thought. If Tank is a no-go, Roy might be a good option.

It's funny: Roy Williams went from being one of the most over-rated players in football to now one of the most under-rated.

All you hear now is casual fans parroting the same line that he can't cover worth crap, etc.; however, I think if used properly he can still be an effective player. And as we all know, BB is a master at protecting a players weakness and playing to his strength.

Bull****. Try:

Coverage:
Sanders= C-
Williams= F-

Run-stopping:
Sanders= C+
Williams= B

Sure, Williams is better against the run, but he's so bad against the pass that even Sanders, who isn't particularly good in this area, looks stellar by comparison.

Poopoo. I beg to differ. Sanders is just as bad in coverage. That is a definite push. Don't try to be a homer and twist it.
I guess we all have opinions.
DW Toys

I would rather find one or two in the draft.....Delmas(?),Chung,or Harris.....less money more upside......

Why does it feel like I hate every FA out there. Ray Lewis and Roy Williams can go funk each other.

Poopoo. I beg to differ. Sanders is just as bad in coverage. That is a definite push. Don't try to be a homer and twist it.
I guess we all have opinions.
DW Toys

Some of us only have one... that we repeat over and over and over and over again.

Some of us only have one... that we repeat over and over and over and over again.
My handy World Domination clock suggests it's a Good Afternoon PJ! Nice to catch you in a good mood. :p

For the right price, I am down for this 100%.

For all the hatred he gets, he certainly has some very impressive skills. I believe that BB would be able to use him in a situation that he would excel in and I don't think he is a bad guy at all. Roy can be effective in a limited role, and possibly as a short-term replacement for Rodney.

There is plenty of talent in this league that we could win with, that we will never have.

Last edited:

josh mcdaniels JUST RELIES ON THE PLAYERS TO MAKE THE SAME TEN PLAYS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

My handy World Domination clock suggests it's a Good Afternoon PJ! Nice to catch you in a good mood. :p

Thank you sir, and a pleasant VERY early good morning to you!

Well played as usual. Just making sure I am not misunderstood.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back