PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Mike Griffin be the best "S" fit for NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) NFLDraftScout has Griffin at #39, as of 3/16.

#39 overall on the big board... but what you have to consider, is that not all teams are going to draft BPA. Teams are going to draft based on what they need. Not based on a big board order. (BTW, that guy's mock looks ridiculous to me).

2) There is a small chance, a very small one, that Nelson will be there at 24.

Small as in... I have a small chance at winning the Powerball on Saturday. Just not going to happen. I know most Pats fans would love to see this happen... It is just not going to. He will not get past the Jags.

#39 overall on the big board... but what you have to consider, is that not all teams are going to draft BPA. Teams are going to draft based on what they need. Not based on a big board order.
Huh ? Your argument before for why more Safeties would be drafted in the first round than there ever are was talent and now it's not talent, it's need.

Huh ? Your argument before for why more Safeties would be drafted in the first round than there ever are was talent and now it's not talent, it's need.

I don't really agree with some of what he's been saying but I could see 4 Safeties taken in the first round this year. I also think the Safety class is somewhat deeper this year, so maybe some of these teams will wait until the second, or third....

These are all teams who will be looking at first round Safeties:
Carolina
Dallas
Jacksonville
Philly
San Diego
NE
Atlanta
Miami
Houston

Sebman has it right... It is a combination of both. There are about 9 teams who have a need at the safety position, and there are four players who have enough talent to warrant first round selections. That is what it comes down to.

Teams are not going to say... "Hmmm..We need a safety, but 2 safety's have already been selected, and that doesn't happen very often. Maybe we should change our direction."

It just doesn't hold up. If a team needs a safety....and the value is there, "History" will have nothing to do with their selection process.

Last edited:
I don't really agree with some of what he's been saying but I could see 4 Safeties taken in the first round this year. I also think the Safety class is somewhat deeper this year, so maybe some of these teams will wait until the second, or third....

These are all teams who will be looking at first round Safeties:
Carolina
Dallas
Jacksonville
Philly
San Diego
NE
Atlanta
Miami
Houston

Looking being the operative word here. I can look at all those teams and give you another need that is greater than their respective need of a Safety. If the Safety is not clearly the better player, they won't grab him, as has been mentioned before (ad nauseum), there are certainly a number of prospects later on in the draft that can fill their needs. Safety is generally not a hard position to fill which is something all the mocks historically have always had wrong.

I don't really agree with some of what he's been saying but I could see 4 Safeties taken in the first round this year.
There could. But there probably won't. There's a reason it rarely happens and that's because the Safety skill set isn't highly coveted. Landry and Nelson will go, of course. I think it's about 50% that Griffin or Merriweather goes in the first, 25% that both do and 25% that neither does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News