PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Devin McCourty lose his starting job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what little I've read about McCourty, he seems to have a little bit of a fragile psyche and suffers from a lack of confidence. Not a good trait in a CB.

You didn't read any of that about McCourty. What you read is media speculation of why he had a bad year last year. There hasn't been one story where anyone actually stated that McCourty had a fragile psyche or suffers from a lack of confidence.

I hate these speculative reports that come out of nowhere and create hysteria.
There have been zero comments all camp, at least that I have seen,that were negative about McCourty. Now Bedard instead of REPORTING he had a rough day, throws in speculation that he could lose his job to a scrub who was so highly regarded last year that he was released.
Reporters should report, IMO.

Bedard inparticular has a tendency to "know" something then goes out "looking" for evidence.

Speculation like this should have multiple speculations.

Bedard inparticular has a tendency to "know" something then goes out "looking" for evidence.

Speculation like this should have multiple speculations.

Maybe Bedard "knows" that last year QBs targeted McCourty and maybe Bedard "knows" that BB switched his position mid season so McCourty could be facing the ball.
Seems there is more "forgetting" by the "blame the writer" faction than "knowing."

It's really unfortunate what has happened to Devin. He was a force his rookie year and should've been strongly considered for DROY. Here's hoping he can put it back together again. I think improved safety play behind him would help him a lot.

You didn't read any of that about McCourty. What you read is media speculation of why he had a bad year last year. There hasn't been one story where anyone actually stated that McCourty had a fragile psyche or suffers from a lack of confidence.

So I must have read media speculation. How can I tell the difference?

I don't know everything about McCourty, but I know something is wrong.

So I must have read media speculation. How can I tell the difference?

I don't know everything about McCourty, but I know something is wrong.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be snippy. The media have been speculating that his confidence has been shattered because of his down year and the fact the position relies on a lot of confidence with many CBs falling apart when their confidence is shaken.

At this point, something was wrong last year. We don't know if something is wrong this year. I am still not convinced that the media is hypersensitive about McCourty's problem last year and reading too much into individual plays where he has poor technique and/or get burnt. Until we see him live in real games this year or not because he is benched, I think people need to reserve judgement.

This is all pure nonsense. The Pats were not only weak at Safety, the Safety play was non-existent. :mad:

Plus the Pats lost their RCBs when Leigh Bodden had a career ending injury and Ras-I was on IR from game two. They went out of their way to protect Arrington. Everything was rotated away from McCourtey, and he left was on his own, to do the best he could, under the circumstances. :mad::mad:

It was so bad, that they only won 15 out of 18 games. He sure didn't play like a shut down corner, single-handed. But I will take it, everyday of the week! :snob:

That was last year; this year the Safety position was reinforced, and the sub corners were augmented.:)

Last edited:
Maybe Bedard "knows" that last year QBs targeted McCourty and maybe Bedard "knows" that BB switched his position mid season so McCourty could be facing the ball.
Seems there is more "forgetting" by the "blame the writer" faction than "knowing."
Ok course if he 'knew' that he would be wrong.

What befuddles me about McCourty is, how can a guy play at such an amazing level his ROOKIE year, but from there on out his stats just dip. It'll really upset me if McCourty goes down the same road as Darius Butler. Times like this I miss corners we could count on like Ty Law.

What befuddles me about McCourty is, how can a guy play at such an amazing level his ROOKIE year, but from there on out his stats just dip. It'll really upset me if McCourty goes down the same road as Darius Butler. Times like this I miss corners we could count on like Ty Law.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're a "half empty" as opposed to "half full" kind of guy. Come on, it's way too early to talk about McCourty going in a certain direction. He had a great rookie year, and a not so great sophomore year, which may have been due to any combination of factors - injuries, poor overall secondary play, the coaching staff putting him on an island too soon and making him a team captain before he was ready, etc. It remains to be seen how he'll do this year, but I wouldn't rush to judgment after 10 days of training camp.

If McCourty can't get it back together, damn right he will lose his starting slot.
But ultimately BB will balance his defensive shortcomings against how much gas he gives to the offense.

McCourty will drop to safety, Big Vince runs back punts, and Brady goes wide.

Yeah.
That's it.

That's ridiculous. Why would you have Wilfork return punts when you have Dan Connolly?

If McCourty can't get it back together, damn right he will lose his starting slot.
But ultimately BB will balance his defensive shortcomings against how much gas he gives to the offense.

Yeah.
That's it.

The problem is, what happens if McCourty moves to safety?? Do we trust Dowling, Moore, Arrington and Dennard?? Maybe we switch Gregory to CB??

The problem is, what happens if McCourty moves to safety?? Do we trust Dowling, Moore, Arrington and Dennard?? Maybe we switch Gregory to CB??

Troy Brown?

That's just one option that may work. Another is moving Allen (assuming that he makes it of course) back to CB. Wilson could also potentially play CB too. We could certainly add another CB from the waiver wire if need be too. Belichick is pretty good with working with what he's got, and I think he gave himself a lot of options this season if/when injuries or ineffectiveness occur.

Most likely Dowling and Arrington as the starters with Arrington moving to the slot and Moore coming onto the field in the nickel.

That's ridiculous. Why would you have Wilfork return punts when you have Dan Connolly?

Connolly is far more valuable for Kick Returns.
He is a little more aerodynamic than Vince, but obviously Vince has the leaping skills.

pats2c.jpg

That's just one option that may work. Another is moving Allen (assuming that he makes it of course) back to CB. Wilson could also potentially play CB too. We could certainly add another CB from the waiver wire if need be too. Belichick is pretty good with working with what he's got, and I think he gave himself a lot of options this season if/when injuries or ineffectiveness occur.

My problem is, all those guys have question marks. Dowling has injury concerns, Moore showed potential, but he's no sure thing, Allen's old, Arrington does a great job at forcing turnovers, but struggles with coverage. Dennard's a 7th round pick, regardless of his original draft position, Wilson's a rookie, and Gregory could be solid, but hasn't been very spetacular throughout his career either.

Most likely Dowling and Arrington as the starters with Arrington moving to the slot and Moore coming onto the field in the nickel.

I gotta say I do like the idea of Gregory at nickel as well, seems like it could be fitting for him. What if Dowling goes down??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes