PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Convert Butler to Safety a Possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger Zone

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First off, this could be a terrible idea.

With my incomplete understanding of the Xs and Os my guess if this is indeed a terrible idea it is because Butler is too good of a CB to waste as a Safety. That or we don't need a second McCourty-type on the field at the same time. (?)

That said, the reason this keeps popping to mind: Butler is one hell of a tackler and I believe blocker as well. Hes a real joy to watch. Super enthusiastic. He has the kind of how-dare-you-hold-a-ball-in-front-of-me kind of attitude I love to see in safeties.

Now his biggest strike as a CB is his height I believe, something that playing back and with the play in front of him would minimize.

If McCourty is worth top safety money, maybe Butler would be too. Maybe what he's not worth to Belichick in CB money he'd be worth as a safety?

But I'm guessing since I've never heard anyone mention this as a possibility even with all the trade speculation, it's a NOT a good idea or even a realistic possibility.

So if it is a terrible idea, explain why without the insults and just read this as a "I love the attitude and energy Butler beings to tackling and blocking" fan appreciation post. :)

Butler is small for a corner, HR would probably be the smallest safety in the NFL.
Butlers skillset is a corner skillset not a safety.

First off, this could be a terrible idea.

With my incomplete understanding of the Xs and Os my guess if this is indeed a terrible idea it is because Butler is too good of a CB to waste as a Safety. That or we don't need a second McCourty-type on the field at the same time. (?)

That said, the reason this keeps popping to mind: Butler is one hell of a tackler and I believe blocker as well. Hes a real joy to watch. Super enthusiastic. He has the kind of how-dare-you-hold-a-ball-in-front-of-me kind of attitude I love to see in safeties.

Now his biggest strike as a CB is his height I believe, something that playing back and with the play in front of him would minimize.

If McCourty is worth top safety money, maybe Butler would be too. Maybe what he's not worth to Belichick in CB money he'd be worth as a safety?

But I'm guessing since I've never heard anyone mention this as a possibility even with all the trade speculation, it's a NOT a good idea or even a realistic possibility.

So if it is a terrible idea, explain why without the insults and just read this as a "I love the attitude and energy Butler beings to tackling and blocking" fan appreciation post. :)
You should have stopped after your first sentence. You were really doing well up to that point.

Might not be the worst thought, but as you said I'd be surprised simply because Butler is too good at corner, (unlike Dmac's struggles years back) and cb is such a high demand position that if you have a guy who can do it at an above average level, you don't toss that asset out the window. I love his physicality as well, but I think all his feistiness and confidence is better used as an in-your-face man corner rather than as a safety coming down hill occasionally to make the big hit. And I fully trust Butler to lay the wood on smaller receivers, but at his size he pretty much has to wrestle bigger receivers and tight ends to the ground. I fully trust him to make those tackles but he's never gunna be the Kam Chancellor (or Rodney Harrison) intimidating presence back there.

Another idea is for Ian to give us a Football Xs and Os Forum where we can ask football related questions that we otherwise wouldnt waste space on the Main board or see relegated to the wastelands of the Practice Squad.

Butler is small for a corner, HR would probably be the smallest safety in the NFL.

Ok, this answers that question pretty succinctly/defininitively. Thank you.

I know you don't mean Malcolm Butler so I can only assume you're talking about Adam Butler.

To which I ask you, are you stupid or something?o_O

I'm sorry you still felt the need to be insulting despite the obviously self-depreciating way I worded my post.

Last edited:
Another idea is for Ian to give us a Football Xs and Os Forum where we can ask football related questions that we otherwise wouldnt waste space on the Main board or see relegated to the wastelands of the Practice Squad.

Ok, this answers that question pretty succinctly/defininitively. Thank you.

I'm sorry you still felt the need to be insulting despite the obviously self-depreciating way I worked my post.
Don't let it get to you. Some people on this board see red at a chance to rip a poster.

DZ- All-Pro/ProBowl cbs don't grow in trees. Very few of them in the NFL. Malcolm is one and he's our best cb. Safeties are easier to find.
So no,bad idea.
The bigger question is what happens after this season. Hate to see him go. It's not a done deal that he will leave , yet. Hes good and a consummate Patriot imo

DZ- All-Pro/ProBowl cbs don't grow in trees. Very few of them in the NFL. Malcolm is one and he's our best cb. Safeties are easier to find.
So no,bad idea.
The bigger question is what happens after this season. Hate to see him go. It's not a done deal that he will leave , yet. Hes good and a consummate Patriot imo

Butler is not our best corner. Gilmore is. Otherwise why did BB give a record contract to Gilmore and not butler?

I think Tyrann Mathieu would be smaller.

Of course considering Mathieu has never played 16 games in a season maybe there is a reason for safeties generally being bigger.

Why fix what isn't broken? Butler's perfectly fine at CB. Maybe someone like Cyrus Jones could benefit from it but Butler doesn't need to move to safety, especially strong safety (unless you're advocating putting him over Devin)

I think Tyrann Mathieu would be smaller.

Of course considering Mathieu has never played 16 games in a season maybe there is a reason for safeties generally being bigger.

Yeah but the honey badgers instincts and ball skills are elite. I like butler but I’m not sure he has that sort of range to be that type of safety

Butler is not our best corner. Gilmore is. Otherwise why did BB give a record contract to Gilmore and not butler?

Wow. The ignorance of that post is so profound, it's not worth answering. You are very wrong.

Wow. The ignorance of that post is so profound, it's not worth answering. You are very wrong.

What will your answer be when BB doesn't offer butler a 5 year 65 million dollar contract next offseason?

Back to the original post : no.

We can still hope to get him signed long term. Or else he maybe traded. Now I know that would appear a backward step for this D. But....

why take our #1 or #2 CB and turn him into a safety where we have 3 exceptional players already? meanwhile the only proven commodities at CB who are currently not injured if we remove Butler would be just Gilmore?

why indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore