PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Continued mention of potential Graham trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Even after Shanahan's denial that the Broncos and Patriots are part of a potential 3-way trade, the Denver Post again mentions the posibility of Lelie coming to New England and the Patriots shipping Graham elsewhere.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3923136

Lelie hopes he's long gone by the time Walker is ready. Two weeks ago, the Broncos were set on waiting out the wideout, but after witnessing Walker's progress, the team is again exploring the possibility of trading Lelie. New England is among the teams interested, but the Patriots would probably have to swap former University of Colorado tight end Daniel Graham to make a deal. Kansas City also is interested in Lelie, but the Broncos are unlikely to help out an AFC West rival.

In other TE news, Christian Fauria seems happy in DC... though his comments illustrate that, although some people view it as essential to have 3 TEs, barring injury the third stringer really sees very little playing time

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060611-125734-4393r.htm

"...my playing time was dwindling. Until the other guys got hurt last year, I was taking as many scout team reps as I could just so I could stay in shape."

I still highly doubt the Graham/Lelie trade rumors.

My gut feeling is that both the Broncos and the Patriots don't mind it being widely known that both Lelie and Graham could be had for the right price.

In Lelie's case the Broncos desparately need to show that ANY team has an interest in him to keep him relevant for a trade. And for the Pats, if someone wants to make them an actual decent offer for Graham, I'm sure they'd listen... but not this "Graham and a draft pick" for Lelie BS we heard earlier...

Other than that the Patriots have no interest in letting Graham go for anything less than good value, and will be content to let him play out his contract otherwise, regardless of whether they think Graham will be willing to sign a reasonable extension to remain with the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree...the Lelie BS is just that..we don't need a disgruntled receiver here...one who has a bad attitude..wants to be top of the line and isn't..NOT needed. As for Graham..I really like him, but if they can get something VERY GOODin return, I would do a trade..again, I don't know what the team knows about his plans...of wanting to stay here , wishing to be closer to Colorado or of staying here.

Pats726 said:
I agree...the Lelie BS is just that..we don't need a disgruntled receiver here...one who has a bad attitude..wants to be top of the line and isn't..NOT needed. As for Graham..I really like him, but if they can get something VERY GOODin return, I would do a trade..again, I don't know what the team knows about his plans...of wanting to stay here , wishing to be closer to Colorado or of staying here.

Another possibility is that the Patriots don't mind such trade talk as it might help them in long-tem negotiations with Graham.

Since it doesn't seem like the Patriots have even gone to the lengths of Shanahan in denying such trade talks - me thinks they see a degree of value in allowing such speculation to persist.

Dg

At years end, franchise Graham and then work out a trade pre-draft and load up again.

I predict they will keep Graham and play out the above scenario. Utilize his skills, win a SB, sell high and move on. By that time Mills and Thomas will be ready to team with Watson.

Pats726 said:

sounds alot like Dillon when he came here...that seemed to work out

Boston Boxer said:
sounds alot like Dillon when he came here...that seemed to work out

It's not completely apples to oranges, as both Lelie and Dillon felt they had more to contribute than their coaches were allowing them in reps

But Lelie reminds me more of Terry Glenn than Corey Dillon... and Dillon agreed to take an initial pay CUT to show what he could do... Lelie is all about the money it seems.

Last edited:
LloydBraun said:
At years end, franchise Graham and then work out a trade pre-draft and load up again.

I predict they will keep Graham and play out the above scenario. Utilize his skills, win a SB, sell high and move on. By that time Mills and Thomas will be ready to team with Watson.

That is by far the best suggestion that I've read on this subject so far on this board.

Even though we are hopeful about our draft picks, we have to see how they actually work out. I like Thomas but he has yet to play a down in the NFL so we don't know how he will do.

As I've said before, Mills is not really a TE. He will be a Kevin Turner type FB. We have to see how he can improve his blocking. Hopefully he will turn out as well as Turner did.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
That is by far the best suggestion that I've read on this subject so far on this board.

Even though we are hopeful about our draft picks, we have to see how they actually work out. I like Thomas but he has yet to play a down in the NFL so we don't know how he will do.

Right, even if we part with Graham (which I do not recommend) why wouldn't we take one more low-paid, high-performance year from him in 2006?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back