PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Conflicted on how to Feel on this One

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I’m so conflicted about how to feel about this. It’s like I have that stereotypical battle going on where I’ve got an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other going back and forth………

Angel: Even with this loss, the Pats are still by far the most successful franchise in the 21st century.

Devil: Yes, but they could be even MORE successful. Three nail biting losses.

Angel: Yes, but even their wins have been close, too, so 5-3 is probably about right.

Devil: That would sound a whole lot better if they weren’t favored in seven of those games. They’re only 4-3 in Super Bowls they are favored to win.

Angel: Yes, well, it’s the Super Bowl, all challengers are worthy opponents.

Devil: But we have Tom FREAKIN Brady, why do we have nail biters against the likes of Nick Foles, Eli Manning, and Jake Delhomme?

Angel: Well, it’s a team sport, and don’t forget the importance of the coaches. The team as a whole just couldn’t get it done.

Devil: Well, it’s not like we put chopped liver out there with Brady. Belichick is regarded as the greatest coach of all time, and Gronk is regarded as the best non-QB in the entire NFL.

Angel: Yes, well can you really expect to win a game when you give up the most yards in Patriots playoff history?

Devil: How can you lose a game when your QB throws for 500 yards and 3 TDs?

Angel: No one should ever feel depressed because they didn’t win TWO Super Bowls in a row. That’s just greedy. Be happy for what you have.

Devil: Even if Brady had the ball in his hands with just over two minutes left with a chance to win the game?

Angel: Well, would you rather they capped off this game with a win and fell just short of a historic comeback against Atlanta (let’s say everything happened the same, but they didn’t get the final 2pt conversion).

Devil: Well, no, I would never give up that historic comeback……BUT WHY CAN’T I HAVE BOTH?!?

Angel: You’re spoiled by the riches. Don’t focus on the one you didn’t get, enjoy the ones you did.

Devil: But, but…….I love my championship blu rays, and this one was shaping up to be a GREAT ONE…..between the comeback against Houston, the thriller at Pittsburgh, and the gutty, undermanned comeback against Jacksonville in the AFCCG, and then a great comeback in the Super Bowl against the Eagles…………….all gone with that strip sack.

Anyone have a little of this going on?

I've always said, I NEEDED that fourth trophy, and anything else would just be gravy. I may have been lying to myself b/c this one hurts. The 'what could have been'.

Last edited:
Any thought about we have already won so many is just consolation. Each season is a blank slate and they didn’t get this far just to get this far.

Eagles played lights out but I feel we let one get away in weird circumstances. Thats what I keep coming back to .

I’m so conflicted about how to feel about this. It’s like I have that stereotypical battle going on where I’ve got an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other going back and forth………

Angel: Even with this loss, the Pats are still by far the most successful franchise in the 21st century.

Devil: Yes, but they could be even MORE successful. Three nail biting losses.

Angel: Yes, but even their wins have been close, too, so 5-3 is probably about right.

Devil: That would sound a whole lot better if they weren’t favored in seven of those games. They’re only 4-3 in Super Bowls they are favored to win.

Angel: Yes, well, it’s the Super Bowl, all challengers are worthy opponents.

Devil: But we have Tom FREAKIN Brady, why do we have nail biters against the likes of Nick Foles, Eli Manning, and Jake Delhomme?

Angel: Well, it’s a team sport, and don’t forget the importance of the coaches. The team as a whole just couldn’t get it done.

Devil: Well, it’s not like we put chopped liver out there with Brady. Belichick is regarded as the greatest coach of all time, and Gronk is regarded as the best non-QB in the entire NFL.

Angel: Yes, well can you really expect to win a game when you give up the most yards in Patriots playoff history?

Devil: How can you lose a game when your QB throws for 500 yards and 3 TDs?

Angel: No one should ever feel depressed because they didn’t win TWO Super Bowls in a row. That’s just greedy. Be happy for what you have.

Devil: Even if Brady had the ball in his hands with just over two minutes left with a chance to win the game?

Angel: Well, would you rather they capped off this game with a win and fell just short of a historic comeback against Atlanta (let’s say everything happened the same, but they didn’t get the final 2pt conversion).

Devil: Well, no, I would never give up that historic comeback……BUT WHY CAN’T I HAVE BOTH?!?

Angel: You’re spoiled by the riches. Don’t focus on the one you didn’t get, enjoy the ones you did.

Devil: But, but…….I love my championship blu rays, and this one was shaping up to be a GREAT ONE…..between the comeback against Houston, the thriller at Pittsburgh, and the gutty, undermanned comeback against Jacksonville in the AFCCG, and then a great comeback in the Super Bowl against the Eagles…………….all gone with that strip sack.

Anyone have a little of this going on?

I've always send, I NEEDED that fourth trophy, and anything else would just be gravy. I may have been lying to myself b/c this one hurts. The 'what could have been'.

I have a lot going f that going on only my angel and devil start trying to knife each other and don’t speak nicely.

This game was winnable. Had we had Butler on the field, I'm pretty sure at least one if not more of the Eagles drives that ended in points, would have stalled with a 3-and-out. Yes, the defense played like 5hit, but this loss is 100% on Belichick. His unwillingness to play Butler, caused the whole defense to shift and play positions they were not used to.

I feel like pure unadulterated doghit. 4th and 1, Bademosi's missed tackle...yet i still thought Brady would win it for us before the fumble.

In 39 years there are few times I have felt worse sports wise.

1. Hindenburg’s disaster
2. London bridge falls
3. 9/11
4. 2007
5. This thing
6. The nuclear disaster at Fukushima

The current Super Bowl loss barely even registers. Yeah it sucks when you lose, but meh. It sucked in the moment, but I got a good nights sleep, woke up on Monday and went to work. It was just like every other day in my life. So, 2/3 Super Bowl titles in the last four years I can live with.

No other team in the NFL can make that statement for games played this century. And I also rest assured because I know this team will be right back in the thick of it next season.

I've always said, I NEEDED that fourth trophy, and anything else would just be gravy. I may have been lying to myself b/c this one hurts. The 'what could have been'.

This is what I keep coming to and the realization that this era is coming to an end fast, but I still believe this team could have one or two more Superbowls in them and NOW isn't the time to start turning on each other. I am as puzzled and pissed about Butler not playing, but I come back to the same conclusion that I did to make sense of the 2 losses to the Giants and the improbable wins over the Rams, Seahawks, and Falcons...they're all a bounce from winning or losing and there is no way to make sense of it. If TB12 doesn't get strip-sacked at the end, he marches down and the Pats win. All of this would be a minor footnote.

Meh.....it’s entertainment

Can’t wait to watch the Celtics / Raptors tonite

All of the above, and then just flat out anger that a healthy Malcolm Butler sat the entire Super Bowl, our 2 time champion starting CB with a pro bowl in 2015 and all-NFL second team in 2016, our starting CB when we had the league's #1 scoring defense from weeks5-17.

All of the above, and then just flat out anger that a healthy Malcolm Butler sat the entire Super Bowl, our 2 time champion starting CB with a pro bowl in 2015 and all-NFL second team in 2016, our starting CB when we had the league's #1 scoring defense from weeks5-17.

I am not overlooking the fact that this franchise had two first round draft picks stolen from them.

We'll never know how badly this affected the team, but it didn't help.

It took a weird day all around for the Patriots to lose, and that's exactly what happened. We disagree with BB but he's been right enough times that he's earned the right to do what he wants...five rings makes second guessing no good.

We need to move on, improve our defense, and focus on our goal:

Atlanta, February 3rd.

Seeing as the pats draft better players in day 3 (valentine) and free agency (a butler) than they do in round 1 (Easley) and better corners in Ufa (butler) than they do in round 2 (dowling,Wheatley,d butler) I wouldn’t sweat the draft picks

Tide goes up tide goes down....the only guys I am worried about next year are the jags....especially if they trade for someone like foles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3