PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Concussion" fallout - I predict the end of Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
With the "Concussion" movie about to open, we now hear that the NFL has backed out of co-funding a major concussion study at BU because they object to the scientist in charge:

OTL: NFL balks at funding major brain study

The movie cut a scene with Goodell because they were scared of legal issues:

'Concussion' Script: The Explosive Roger Goodell Scene That Sony Cut

Although most of the bad behavior by the NFL pre-dated Goodell, I think he will not escape the fallout here. I predict the owners will want to clean house, and at some point Goodell will be gone. He has become a lightning rod for criticism of the league.

Fraudger is paid big bucks to take every punch......better him than the Full 32. They're too busy keeping their fantasy gambling operations going.

Won't happen. NFL got to look over the movie before it was released and make changes they wanted that didn't paint them in too bad a light. How do you think Sony got NFL footage to use?

Won't happen. NFL got to look over the movie before it was released and make changes they wanted that didn't paint them in too bad a light. How do you think Sony got NFL footage to use?

Blech.

The end of Goodell will be the best happy ending of all time .... he blew his wad these past few years and now he suffers from E.D.

I can't imagine that movie doing well at the box office. Regardless of how truthfully "explosive" it might be, most football fans won't want to see it and most people who don't care about football won't want to see it.

I can't imagine that movie doing well at the box office. Regardless of how truthfully "explosive" it might be, most football fans won't want to see it and most people who don't care about football won't want to see it.

Not to mention it's going up against Star Wars and Christmas. The movie is going to tank and absolutely nothing is going to happen to Goodell.

The way things are going Goodell and ****roaches will be the only survivors of a nuclear explosion.

fb94ab0e4ee2d76a0f511fb86ec8f0d7.jpg

$250 Million Dollars says Goodell ain't going anywhere.

I'll watch it once a decent copy becomes available online.

Not to mention it's going up against Star Wars and Christmas. The movie is going to tank and absolutely nothing is going to happen to Goodell.
The NFL knows this. The movie would've gotten wider viewing as a made-for-HBO docudrama.

The movie appears to be a smaller scale version of The Insider to me (science and Big Tobacco). Plenty of rave reviews and award nominations, but a box office flop.

I'll watch it on video, but I won't pay to see it now. I don't see this movie affecting Rog at all. He may pay the ticket price with some of the $40+ million the owners pay him a year and treat it like a comedy.

Roger is done when most of the owners no longer have any use for him

When you have to worry about your figurehead being booed nearly every time he makes an appearance, then he has outlived his usefulness. When he has become a lightning rod for criticism, then he has outlived his usefulness and it is time to move on.

Think like an owner for a moment - what is Goodell doing for you currently that someone else could not do better?

After the season is over, I expect a program like 60 Minutes will do an expose on deflategate with Brady's cooperation. He wants to regain his good name, and it will be easy for a TV show to center a program around Prof. Blecker's accusations.

Third-party brief in Brady case focuses on “integrity of sport”

That makes for good TV - the (hopefully) Super Bowl MVP railroaded by the corporate bad guys.

But if Will Smith gets an Oscar nod, it might get a bump because people will want to see his performance. Movies released late in the year are often considered Oscar contenders.

If Goodell had any chance of being fired, it would've happened already. Concussion has about the worst release date / competition possible, and within a week of its release nobody will be talking about it because nobody saw it.

To lose his job, Goodell would have to get caught committing felonies and/or insult an influential owner, because it's not going to be a PR-driven change.

There are 3 guarantees in life if your a New England Patriots fan death, Taxes and an a-hole Jets fan who's out to get us as the commisioner

His weapon's are incompetence and ignorance and there surprisingly effective.

Embrace the hate.

With the "Concussion" movie about to open, we now hear that the NFL has backed out of co-funding a major concussion study at BU because they object to the scientist in charge:

OTL: NFL balks at funding major brain study

The movie cut a scene with Goodell because they were scared of legal issues:

'Concussion' Script: The Explosive Roger Goodell Scene That Sony Cut

Although most of the bad behavior by the NFL pre-dated Goodell, I think he will not escape the fallout here. I predict the owners will want to clean house, and at some point Goodell will be gone. He has become a lightning rod for criticism of the league.

I'm a little confused with this thread because I dont understand the basis for OP's prediction.

Yes, the NFL opted not to fund a brain study at BU. And yes, they may have cut a scene in the movie that would have been unflattering to the current Commissioner.

But, how does one get from there to Goodell loses his job? I don't see the bridge connecting the two.

I have heard almost nothing but praise for him from the owners who are his bosses and would need to be on board him losing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe