PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Concussion" fallout - I predict the end of Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another example of the NFL buying science that suits their predetermined conclusion. Move over Exponent...

it's Leo's Oscar for the revenant by the looks of it.
maybe. he's been snubbed in the past. at the very least he'll get nominated. Will probably will too.

Owners make a ****load of money and don't care about anything else...except how to make more money. Owners can keep their hands clean and let Goodell be the lightning rod for criticism, the one thing he is good for.

not true......it is not feasible for an owner to claim they didn't realize the nature of the problem

they will all hang for this

"However, the NFL wanted out of this study, sources told ESPN. The reason, according to the ESPN report, is because the NIH gave the project to a Boston University researcher who’s been critical of the NFL in the past. The NFL reportedly backed out of the funding after learning that Boston University professor of neurology and neurosurgery Robert Stern was leading the project."

When you say "SCIENCE" do you mean the types that are owned by lobbyists; paid for peer-reviewed results, regardless of facts?

Peer Review Is Not What It's Cracked Up To Be
Link -> Articles: Peer Review Is Not What It's Cracked Up To Be

What passes as "science" today is really a cult of pet opinions pushing an agenda
Link -> 'Sacred cow' of industry science cult should be slaughtered for the good of humanity, BMJ editor says

That public opinion can be a determinant of truth is philosophically insane. Plato spoke out against it. Consensus is not science.

Like a poster said above, Goodell is like a ****roach, much much easier said than done getting rid of him.

It'll be the same ole BS response "we are open to ideas that this movie or people who question this movie will provide us."

With the "Concussion" movie about to open, we now hear that the NFL has backed out of co-funding a major concussion study at BU because they object to the scientist in charge:

OTL: NFL balks at funding major brain study

The movie cut a scene with Goodell because they were scared of legal issues:

'Concussion' Script: The Explosive Roger Goodell Scene That Sony Cut

Although most of the bad behavior by the NFL pre-dated Goodell, I think he will not escape the fallout here. I predict the owners will want to clean house, and at some point Goodell will be gone. He has become a lightning rod for criticism of the league.

I am so sick of the phony, sanctimonious, heartache of our shyster brethren. They gladly take 1/3 of the future lifetime earnings of some poor unfortunate for trivial effort without batting an eyelash, and maintaining their phony angelic countenance, all the while.

They even finance Hollywood propaganda like"Concussions" to aide their tear-stained cases. I find their endless TV commercials soliciting unfortunates to steal for them, as more revolting than the beer, liquor or tobacco adds.

The NFL has deep pockets so you know were the shsyters will attack. If there were any real concern for concussed individuals, they would be attacking the Boxing and UFC pseudo-sports, whose objective is clearly to engender knockouts... which are concussions, in reality.

But alas, there are no deep pockets of concentrated cash to ransack, so F the poor fighters...

Not to mention it's going up against Star Wars and Christmas. The movie is going to tank and absolutely nothing is going to happen to Goodell.

I have to agree. In fact, I'm of the opinion that Sony PURPOSELY is releasing it now so it tanks. And I believe they are doing it at the request of the NFL. And, in doing so, they hope that it will hurt the reputation of the man who has been championing the fight against concussions..

Last edited:
I am so sick of the phony, sanctimonious, heartache of our shyster brethren. They gladly take 1/3 of the future lifetime earnings of some poor unfortunate for trivial effort without batting an eyelash, and maintaining their phony angelic countenance, all the while.

They even finance Hollywood propaganda like"Concussions" to aide their tear-stained cases. I find their endless TV commercials soliciting unfortunates to steal for them, as more revolting than the beer, liquor or tobacco adds.

The NFL has deep pockets so you know were the shsyters will attack. If there were any real concern for concussed individuals, they would be attacking the Boxing and UFC pseudo-sports, whose objective is clearly to engender knockouts... which are concussions, in reality.

But alas, there are no deep pockets of concentrated cash to ransack, so F the poor fighters...

There are no deep pockets in boxing or the UFC?? How about any venue that allows the fight to take place? How about the TV Networks that sponsor them???

Integrity!

Unless people see this movie and gets disgusted enough to stop watching the NFL, Roger ain't going anywhere. So he won't be fired.

I'm a little confused with this thread because I dont understand the basis for OP's prediction.

Yes, the NFL opted not to fund a brain study at BU. And yes, they may have cut a scene in the movie that would have been unflattering to the current Commissioner.

But, how does one get from there to Goodell loses his job? I don't see the bridge connecting the two.

I have heard almost nothing but praise for him from the owners who are his bosses and would need to be on board him losing his job.

Goodell has been involved with Concussions in the league for a long time. Not just since he became commissioner. The ESPN article that talked about the dentist who made the special mouth guards that helped prevent concussions mentioned that Goodell has been the NFL's representative since long before he became Commissioner.

I have to agree. In fact, I'm of the opinion that Sony PURPOSELY is releasing it now so it tanks. And I believe they are doing it at the request of the NFL. And, in doing so, they hope that it will hurt the reputation of the man who has been championing the fight against concussions..

It's possible. I can't think of a worse possible time to release a movie if you're trying to expose a billion dollar industry.

Spending an awful lot of tv advertising for nothing if they intend it to tank.

Spending an awful lot of tv advertising for nothing if they intend it to tank.

And just how much are they actually spending? How does it compare to other movies such as what Disney is spending on Star Wars or what New Regency spent on The Revenant?

Furthermore, by spending money on the advertising, they can say they met their contractual obligations to people like Will Smith and Mbatha-Raw and prevent people like Smith and Mbatha-Raw from suing them for tanking the film..

There are no deep pockets in boxing or the UFC?? How about any venue that allows the fight to take place? How about the TV Networks that sponsor them???
No there are no CONCENTRATED deep pockets. The shysters would have to prove malicious intent not once a la the NFL, but each time against a different promoter, whose pockets don't contain $Billions to loot...

That's too much like work for them...

And just how much are they actually spending? How does it compare to other movies such as what Disney is spending on Star Wars or what New Regency spent on The Revenant?

Furthermore, by spending money on the advertising, they can say they met their contractual obligations to people like Will Smith and Mbatha-Raw and prevent people like Smith and Mbatha-Raw from suing them for tanking the film..
I'm seeing ads for it all the time. At least as many as The Revenant. Which, having seen the full trailer in the theater last week, looks really repulsive. Just sayin'. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe