PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Concussion Expert on WEEI this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC TJ was a free agent at the end of that season. I remember there being a lot of talk of him maybe reuniting with Parcells. He atracted some interest from Green Bay but I guess not any more than what the Pats had offered him.
Is there any way to confirm this?

Did some researched and found out that TJ never made it to FA. This is from Miguel's page. I could be completely off but i could have sworn that he recived some interest form Green Bay that offseason. Maybe the Pats allowed him to test the market even though he wasn't a FA?

2/27 update - According to ESPN's John Clayton, "the Patriots restructured the contract of middle linebacker Ted Johnson to keep him on the team. At the threat of being released if a deal wasn't reached by 4 p.m. eastern Thursday, Johnson reached a revised three-year, $4.8 million deal that included a $1.4 million signing bonus. Johnson was scheduled to make $4.45 million this year and his cap number was $6.827 million. The new deal lowers his cap number to $3.679 million, a savings of $3.189 million." On 2/28 Nick Cafardo supplemented Clayton's report with "Johnson's cap number went from $6.8 million to $3.679 million. His compensation for the upcoming season was cut in half. Scheduled to earn a $3.35 million salary and $1 million roster bonus tomorrow, Johnson received a $1.4 million signing bonus and a veteran's minimum salary."
3/3 update - Ted Johnson (two-year extension, $1.4 million renegotiation bonus)
Old cap number: $6,827,250
New cap number: $4,843,516 ($800,000 base salary, $2,371,250 old signing bonus proration, $466,666 new signing bonus proration, $1 million roster bonus due March 14, $5,600 workout bonus and $200,000 in unspecified incentives/other)

IIRC TJ was a free agent at the end of that season. I remember there being a lot of talk of him maybe reuniting with Parcells. He atracted some interest from Green Bay but I guess not any more than what the Pats had offered him.
Is there any way to confirm this?

That was actually in March of 2002. He had received some interest from Green Bay (written in their papers but also cited here locally a number of times) but elected quite quickly to re-up in New England.

Note: found this in the Pro Football Weekly archive:

HTML:
New England LB Ted Johnson opted to remain with the Patriots after rejecting an offer from the Packers. Johnson was scheduled to earn $3.5 million next season, but the team would have released him if he hadn’t agreed to restructure his contract. He agreed to accept the $650,000 veteran’s minimum and also will be paid a $1 million roster bonus and $100,000 workout bonus. The $1.75 million total was more than Green Bay was willing to offer.

a little off topic, but anybody who wants a concussion mouthguard PM me i can hook you up...they must be fitted by a certified dentist but work great (ask the pats D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back