PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Concussion Expert on WEEI this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I didn't catch his name but I'm sure someone else was listening...

He was an author and former NFL player from the sounds of it, speaking with Dennis and Callahan about the NFL's institutional bias to ignore the dangers of concussions.... he had interviewed Ted Johnson extensively for his book as well

It was compelling radio - with discussions about how this problem goes down to the High School level of football where kids are going into college with a history of concussions - and the dangers of going right back into a game following a concussion (even a week later can cause permanent brain damage).... along with what is portrayed as the NFL's refusal to accept the dangers of repeated concussion syndrome.

Of course there seemed to be a good amount of spin trying to "protect" Ted Johnson for his criticisms of the Patriots too.

I still can't shake the feeling that, in addition to helping to "educate" Ted has plans to file suit against the Patriots and the NFL. He'll of course say this is to teach them a lesson, and maybe it will but try as I might I can't help but think that money has something to do with this.

I'm going to have to go back and read the reports about Johnson's "offer" to come back to the Patriots following Seau's injury. The "spin" by the author being interviewed was that TJ was never serious about wanting to come back and was just being "friendly" with the media.

I'm not so sure about that - I seem to remember it being said that he "longed" to return and get a call from the Patriots that never came.

Seems a little odd now that we're expected to believe it was all a joke in Ted's mind.

The man is depressed - likely as a result of concussions - and I have nothing but sympathy - and I hope his story helps a younger generation. But even though we sued the Tobacco companies everyone knew that smoking was bad just like NFL players know that concussions are bad - but they seem very willing to take risks in return for a big payday.

I still hope he can help put some degree of pressure on all the key players in this - the players, coaches, teams and the NFL - and all the others at college and high school levels of the sport.

But if Ted does sue any credibility he has in this cause is completely down the drain with me.

It was a very interesting and informative interview. TJ is not in a good place right now.

If either the Patriots trainers or BB ignored medical advice and put him in full contact drills too quickly it is really a black eye for the sport and the organization.

Felger replayed the interview last week, I couldn't tell if TJ was serious or joking. It sounds like he got caught up in some false bravado thinking he could actually play the game one more time.

I know I am the minority on this issue and will reserve any further judgement until both sides of story are presented but at this point based on what has been reported the Patriots used unfair organizational pressure to force an injured player back into the lineup. BB is being highlighted but I am sure it is not an isolated incident in the NFL, the fact that it is common place doesn't make it right.

Last edited:
There are ex-NFL athletes out there tragically suffering. But "Post concussion syndrome" is a controversial diagnosis. Many researchers do not believe it exists, and is more related to preexisting psychological issues with the patient. This is not the same as "acute traumatic brain injury" known in boxing, which leads to obvious neurological deficits. Of course the "PCS" diagnosis has its supporters, who are sensationalizing their point of view using the TJ "story". Unfortunately, the fact the patient has also had at least one drug addiction dating back 5 years which he has been hiding from his doctors, was recently charged with spousal abuse, is going through a divorce, is suffering the post-football blues which are common to NFL athletes, and is a media "magnet", calls into question not only his judgment but theirs. I believe TJ- always jealous of Bruschi to the point of repeatedly making it clear to the press HE was the one calling defensive signals, not Bruschi; TJ, who watched the outpouring of sympathy to Tedy after his stroke justifiably made him a hero; TJ, who is now on the outside looking in, whose family life and reputation have fallen apart- I believe TJ's credibility is very shaky on this and other issues, and the "experts" trying to piggyback on his troubles have picked the wrong horse.

Last edited:
He is a retired WWE wrestler Christopher Nowinski

Let Me begin by stating That due to a very personal situation I take "Head Trauma" very seriously.The problem that I had with the interview with Chris Nowinski is first,Nowinski has a profit motive with continuing this discussion.He stated in the interview that He is a spokesman for The WWE.
The WWE's record in this area is far from spectacular yet He still takes a check from them.By any standard that is pure hyporcracy.Second,He has a book that He's pushing.I'm all for capitalism but to think his motives are simply altruistic is simple folly.Third,He wants to go out and educate,Coaches and Athletic Directors.Do You think He's doing that for nothing?I sure don't.
Fourth,When He was asked on the broadcast about the "Personal Responsibility"of the Athlete,He gave a very weak answer by answering the question with a question and finally adding"That's a very good question" in a very condescending tone.
Head Trauma is a serious issue but all sides must take it seriously.The Press is ignorant in this area.The fans are ignorant in this area.The Players are ignorant in this area.Coaches are ignorant in this area.Management is ignorant in this area.We all must eduate ourselves to the dangers involved .
We all come to this area from a point of weakness.The NFL must gets it's head out of the sand .It has been a problem since the League's inception.

Last edited:
He is a retired WWE wrestler Christopher Nowinski

Yup and he suffers severely from PC sydrome. He was kicked in the back of the head and from then on he was forced to retire from wrestling because of his condition.

It was a very interesting and informative interview. TJ is not in a good place right now.

If either the Patriots trainers or BB ignored medical advice and put him in full contact drills too quickly it is really a black eye for the sport and the organization.

Felger replayed the interview last week, I couldn't tell if TJ was serious or joking. It sounds like he got caught up in some false bravado thinking he could actually play the game one more time.

I know I am the minority on this issue and will reserve any further judgement until both sides of story are presented but at this point based on what has been reported the Patriots used unfair organizational pressure to force an injured player back into the lineup. BB is being highlighted but I am sure it is not an isolated incident in the NFL, the fact that it is common place doesn't make it right.

I would agree with that except that BB turned around after TJ went back in to practice and sat the guy for the next 2 weeks, including not having him on opening game game roster. To me that looks as if a coach realized what he asked was wrong and then took the advice of the medical staff and sat the player.

Let Me begin by stating That due to a very personal situation I take "Head Trauma" very seriously.The problem that I had with the interview with Chris Nowinski is first,Nowinski has a profit motive with continuing this discussion.He stated in the interview that He is a spokesman for The WWE.
but not a head trauma spokes man but a get out and vote spokesman http://chrisharvard.net/

he makes money from the sales of his book on the subject

Last edited:
The WWE's record in this area is far from spectacular yet He still takes a check from them.By any standard that is pure hyporcracy.Second,He has a book that He's pushing.I'm all for capitalism but to think his motives are simply altruistic is simple folly.Third,He wants to go out and educate,Coaches and Athletic Directors.Do You think He's doing that for nothing?I sure don't.
Fourth,When He was asked on the broadcast about the "Personal Responsibility"of the Athlete,He gave a very weak answer by answering the question with a question and finally adding"That's a very good question" in a very condescending tone.
Head Trauma is a serious issue but all sides must take it seriously.The Press is ignorant in this area.The fans are ignorant in this area.The Players are ignorant in this area.Coaches are ignorant in this area.Management is ignorant in this area.We all must eduate ourselves to the dangers involved .
We all come to this area from a point of weakness.The NFL must gets it's head out of the sand .It has been a problem since the League's inception.

I had no idea that a professional wrestler could be so well spoken - that shows my bias I guess - but does illustrate that a lot of smart people get into dangerous sports because of the money.

The person who asked about "personal responsbility" didn't do the best job framing the question - I didn't think he was overly condescending but didn't fully answer it either.

I will buy into any arguments at the HS and College levels about the inability to hold the players responsible, holding the team, coach and trainer responsibile for looking out for the players.

But the NFL does have a players association. These are grown men - and while they might not be all that smart, ingnorance of their own health is not an excuse to blame - maybe even sue - the teams.

The NFL too needs to act responsibily and maybe they have not here - but what seems to be shaping up is a situation where the players are going to say that they had no idea that multiple bruises to the brain was jeopardizing their health in any way.

That's just disingenuous, and the first entity they should sue is the NFL Players Association for not demanding that the Players Association - not the Team - provide each team with a Trainer that answers to the PLAYER - not the team.

but not a head trauma spokes man but a get out and vote spokesman http://chrisharvard.net/

he makes money from the sales of his book on the subject

I never said He was a Head Trauma spokesman for the WWE.I merely stated he's taking a check from the WWE which has a very spotty record on Head Trauma.I'm all for capitalism but I'm also for full disclosure so that We can all see where everyone's self interest lies in this area.He clearly has 'other motives" besides player safety.

Last edited:
The culture of the NFL is if you can walk you can play. It always has been and that is why coaches ask players everywhere play with head injuries and why the players don't say no. "Got his bell rung" is a football term. You hear it 200 times a year and then see the guy back in the game- you think those aren't concussions?

I heard Jimmy Johnson on WFAN last week (prior to the TJ article) and there was no criticism for him playing Troy Aikman in the Super Bowl when he was suffering sever post concussion syndrome. Aikman's not remembering the NFC title game and "not knowing where the Super Bowl was" got a lot of mention but it was in a nostalgic "how bout Jimmy's Cowboys" kind of way. Jimmy obviously did not regret it and clearly no one talking to him thought it was something he did wrong or should regret.

The large conundrum here is that you have the league's "PREMIER EXPERT" on Concussions saying that its ok for players to go back into the same game that they received a concussion in. While you have other experts saying that the NFL guy is a quack and shouldn't be listened to.

I have to say that the NFL's EXPERT IS a quack and that the league, as a whole, needs to get an OUTSIDE source to do a study and give them the results. Unfortunately, the NFLPA and the NFL don't want the liability and, as such, won't do it. Its very sad.

Heard the interview, surprised so intelligent a conversation on D & C, it is one man's opinion.. sounds somewhat valid and well thought out. But the bottom line is there is still a lot of research needed on this subject, before anything conclusive can be said. I am not convinced that concussions cause depression, depression is what it is.. depression is usually there, maybe the recognition that his head injuries, his addictive, marital and retirement issues all play a part on TJ's sitz. To blame concussions alone begs the issue, what comes first..

TJ since he retired has had this thing with the Patriots. Whether his pre-game or post game comments, he always had these little digs towards them.
If he was that unhappy with the team, why stay? It's obvious that if someone is disgruntled within the firm, BB sends them on their way. To me it seems that he's a bitter man, who hadn't planned for life outside the NFL. Just my opinion.

TJ since he retired has had this thing with the Patriots. Whether his pre-game or post game comments, he always had these little digs towards them.
If he was that unhappy with the team, why stay? It's obvious that if someone is disgruntled within the firm, BB sends them on their way. To me it seems that he's a bitter man, who hadn't planned for life outside the NFL. Just my opinion.

Unfortuantely, he might just be the wrong messenger for what is clearly an important story.

Didn't TJ get into a huff another time and almost leave the team, quitting entirely because of a perceived slight from BB?

I don't know if it was related to this or not but clearly you've got a guy who, maybe for legit reasons, has a chip on his shoulder. Then this year seemingly expressed a desire to return to the team, only to come out a few months later and claim he was irreperably harmed as a result of the NFL policies.

Like it or not his motivations and statements are going to be suspect. I'm not laying blame, just telling it like it is.

This "incident was in 2002. 2002!

I believe he quit the team temporarily later that week because he wanted to be on the active list and he wasn't!!??

Anyone recall how many games TJ missed due to injury in that period?

I feel sorry for him, but how does his story add up?

He wanted to practice without contact? He's a linebacker!

And this was 3 years before he retired!!

Sad to say, I think he has football and non football related problems and is grasping at straws for some kind of settlement.

Last edited:

I think there is some of that afoot here, along with other longstanding issues the Patriot's hinted at with the early comment that some problems pre dated the 2002 incident in Ted's case. I also recall that when he left his brief broadcasting gig with channel 4, and stopped doing regular segments with Felger, he cited his discomfort with the critical media mentality. I don't think his former teamates appreciated his own increasingly critical commentary and he was likely alienating some of them on a personal level. Of course he was also apparently missing assignments and bookings. So he blamed his new occupation and those who embraced him smoothed the way in for him for his second career disappointment. He then allowed his soon to be ex to fall on her sword after they fought about who was abusing his prescription drugs...

I'm also squarely with JoeSixPat's take that while the institution and society bear some responsibility for doing a better job of educating players at all levels and protecting those who play the game at the younger levels while not equipped to make the best informed choices, once you ascend to the professional level there has to be personal responsibility. Life is all about choices and decisions. Good and bad.

Either for financial or emotional reasons TJ made a decision to withold all manner of information from the team going forward that quite possibly would have altered their entire approach to his particular situation. Other organizations and HC's knew guys like Aikman and Chrebet were playing through repeated concussions, as did the fans and media. Ted deliberately withheld that information from this organization and his HC. Not sure what else they could have done in that instance. Had they suspected that was the case and cut him in 2003 can you imagine the hue and cry that would have ensued from both inside and outside the locker room - and he would have been hell bent on proving them wrong and moved right on to the next team who would pay his million dollar plus per year salary.

Football players risk permanent disabilities of one type or the other every time they take the field. Those who choose to accept that risk play at this level. The league cannot afford to guarantee contracts for the simple reason it would bankrupt the system. Players would no longer see any need to accept the lions share of risk. That is why the union and the management agreed to a system predicated on bonuses. It's a risk reward system all the way around. A portion of each players signing bonus is designed to pre pay them for a portion of seasons they may never play. As a group they decided they could live with that. With the exception of late round draftees and UDFA's most of these guys make more in a few years on the football field than many of their fans will make in a lifetime. Something drives them to choose this path as opposed to driving a UPS truck, sitting at a desk and pushing papers all day or persuing careers as neurosurgeons. In hindsight if they hurt to much or didn't bank enough or develop a plan for a second career at age 30, they have the all too human tendancy to want to blame somebody else for their situation.

I feel bad for Ted (and not so bad for Ronnie Lippett who tried to throw Bob Kraft under the bus on NECN the other night for telling him his team really needed him to play when he was injured...) because of the cascade of misfortunes he has found himself mired in which he seems tragically ill equipped to deal with. But sympathy aside, the guy most responsible for his situation is the guy staring back at him from the mirror. I think he more fortunate than some in his situation because he worked for an organization whose owner, HC and core players will, I believe based on their track record, do whatever they can to help him going forward, if he chooses to let them.

I think there is some of that afoot here, along with other longstanding issues the Patriot's hinted at with the early comment that some problems pre dated the 2002 incident in Ted's case. I also recall that when he left his brief broadcasting gig with channel 4, and stopped doing regular segments with Felger, he cited his discomfort with the critical media mentality. I don't think his former teamates appreciated his own increasingly critical commentary and he was likely alienating some of them on a personal level. Of course he was also apparently missing assignments and bookings. So he blamed his new occupation and those who embraced him smoothed the way in for him for his second career disappointment. He then allowed his soon to be ex to fall on her sword after they fought about who was abusing his prescription drugs...

I'm also squarely with JoeSixPat's take that while the institution and society bear some responsibility for doing a better job of educating players at all levels and protecting those who play the game at the younger levels while not equipped to make the best informed choices, once you ascend to the professional level there has to be personal responsibility. Life is all about choices and decisions. Good and bad.

Either for financial or emotional reasons TJ made a decision to withold all manner of information from the team going forward that quite possibly would have altered their entire approach to his particular situation. Other organizations and HC's knew guys like Aikman and Chrebet were playing through repeated concussions, as did the fans and media. Ted deliberately withheld that information from this organization and his HC. Not sure what else they could have done in that instance. Had they suspected that was the case and cut him in 2003 can you imagine the hue and cry that would have ensued from both inside and outside the locker room - and he would have been hell bent on proving them wrong and moved right on to the next team who would pay his million dollar plus per year salary.

Football players risk permanent disabilities of one type or the other every time they take the field. Those who choose to accept that risk play at this level. The league cannot afford to guarantee contracts for the simple reason it would bankrupt the system. Players would no longer see any need to accept the lions share of risk. That is why the union and the management agreed to a system predicated on bonuses. It's a risk reward system all the way around. A portion of each players signing bonus is designed to pre pay them for a portion of seasons they may never play. As a group they decided they could live with that. With the exception of late round draftees and UDFA's most of these guys make more in a few years on the football field than many of their fans will make in a lifetime. Something drives them to choose this path as opposed to driving a UPS truck, sitting at a desk and pushing papers all day or persuing careers as neurosurgeons. In hindsight if they hurt to much or didn't bank enough or develop a plan for a second career at age 30, they have the all too human tendancy to want to blame somebody else for their situation.

I feel bad for Ted (and not so bad for Ronnie Lippett who tried to throw Bob Kraft under the bus on NECN the other night for telling him his team really needed him to play when he was injured...) because of the cascade of misfortunes he has found himself mired in which he seems tragically ill equipped to deal with. But sympathy aside, the guy most responsible for his situation is the guy staring back at him from the mirror. I think he more fortunate than some in his situation because he worked for an organization whose owner, HC and core players will, I believe based on their track record, do whatever they can to help him going forward, if he chooses to let them.

I feel bad for Ted, to a certain extent, also. But sometimes, you can't feel bad for someone who won't help themselves. Sometimes people with addictive personalities can't handle life on life's terms, and resort to playing the blame game to justify their bad behavior. He's just ill equipped to deal with life outside the NFL. Hopefully Mr. Kraft will offer him the help he needs.
BTW, great post Mo.

Sometimes people with addictive personalities can't handle life on life's terms, and resort to playing the blame game to justify their bad behavior.

Sometimes?? Isn't this one of the hallmarks of the addict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back