PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comparison post: Giants roster v. Patriots roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baas was playing through an injury and missed several games because of it. He has been playing through the latest winning run at a much higher level.
He's not better than Connolly. And he was sub-par with the 49ers last year.

Interesting take on the rosters in the lead story in USA Today on 2-2-2012. For all you draftniks who obsess over how successful the Patriots are, the Giants and the Patriots are surprisingly similar in the following categories:

# of active players drafted by Patriots: 25
# of active players drafted by Giants: 26

# of Patriots draftees starting in SB 46: 11
# of Giants draftees starting in SB 46: 12

# of undrafted players on Patriots roster: 7
# of undrafted players on Giants roster: 8

The two finalists in 2012 are assembled in similar ways.

The Giants and Patriots are two of those perennially competitive franchises with up years and down years, but usually in the hunt in their respective divisions. This suggests a team should look to hit on 3 or 4 draftees per year to yield a good team over time. Drafting 10 to 12 guys per year gives a pretty good margin of error, and hanging onto/stockpiling draft picks is important if nearly half your roster is to come from your own draft selections.

Last edited:
So, even if I concede that Baas is better than Connolly and Snee is better than Waters, Light is still better than Diehl, Mankins is much better than Booth, and either Vollmer or Solder are better than McKenzie.

So Patriots are better at three spots on the line, including both tackle spots. Not only that but our 3rd tackle is better than your starting RT.

That said, I don't know why anyone would concede Snee > Waters.

exactly the same..... except Bradshaw has been playing the entire playoffs.

I wanted Nate in the Draft last year. I think he has the potential to be great. I probably wouldn't trust him to protect Eli from Tuck, JPP, or Kiwi in the biggest game of the season. I'm stuck with KMAC at RT so I'm just glad Those guys don't play for the Pats.

You're claiming Bradshaw is playing well since returning from inactive so I see no reason the same logic wouldn't apply to Vollmer. Solder will sub in and play 3rd TE in big formations.

I really think that claiming the Giants OL is better than the Patriots is no different than a Patriot fan trying to give the advantage to the Patriots on D line. It simply doesn't fly.

The only reason an argument can be made at RB is because that OL was weak and that's why they were last in the league in rushing, but you can't have it both ways and claim that both the OL and RB's were good if they finished at the bottom of the league.

You're claiming Bradshaw is playing well since returning from inactive so I see no reason the same logic wouldn't apply to Vollmer. Solder will sub in and play 3rd TE in big formations.

I really think that claiming the Giants OL is better than the Patriots is no different than a Patriot fan trying to give the advantage to the Patriots on D line. It simply doesn't fly.

The only reason an argument can be made at RB is because that OL was weak and that's why they were last in the league in rushing, but you can't have it both ways and claim that both the OL and RB's were good if they finished at the bottom of the league.

Yeah I'm starting to agree that I undervalued the Pats OL as I go back and look at stats and what happened in the games. Still not sold on the Center, and the RT while talented might have an adjustment period getting back to game speed. I'll give that edge back to the pats.

Yeah I'm starting to agree that I undervalued the Pats OL as I go back and look at stats and what happened in the games. Still not sold on the Center, and the RT while talented might have an adjustment period getting back to game speed. I'll give that edge back to the pats.

I'd give C to the Giants, but Connolly has played well for the patriots whenever called upon. RT is good with either player, Solder has had a great rookie season, I really think this is the best OL they have had in the Brady era. Strength against strength is going to make for a good match-up in the Bowl.

I did a very similar post on my blog today - it is too long for this forum (8300 characters too long), you can read the entire thing and its reasoning here:

Rivers night show on i98.3: SUPER BOWL POSITIONAL BREAKDOWN

But overall:

QB Pats
RB Giants
WR Giants
TE Patriots
OL Patriots
DL Giants
LB even
Secondary even
special teams even
Coaching Pats

Prediction: Pats 38-28

Vollmer will play RT if Solder kicks out to 3rd TE in heavy sets. There is no way that he will be the starting RT after missing over half the season and not having seen the field in months.

Solder is the starter, there is no adjustment period. What happens next season remains to be seen, Solder was drafted to replace Light, not Vollmer. When healthy (and obviously being in game shape and up to speed), Vollmer is the better player, but even when he did play this year he played hurt for the most part making him look worse than he has played in the previous two seasons.

The great thing about the future is that both players have had extended time at both tackle positions leaving NE in great shape.

Don't concede any of those points. Snee is the only one worthy of debate, and he's not having his best season. He may or may not be better than Waters.

Baas has been terrible this year.

I dont think I would trade Waters for any RG in the league. His level of play, his exeprience...not to mention, an affordable price tag.

As for my rankings:

QB - NE
OL - NE
RB - Tie when healthy, maybe favoring NYG, I'd favor NE for the SB. - NE
TE - NE
WR - NYG

DL - NYG
LB - NE
Secondary - Tie

ST - NE

Coaching - NE

The only area I give BIG advantages to NE are OL, TE, and QB (I have to factor experience in, Eli is playing great, but you can't ignore this being Brady's 5th SB and 22nd playoff game. That counts for something). NYG has a superior pass rush, but NE's front 7 is better equipped to stop the run, which despite not being NYG's strength this season, they still like to go to it.

Both secondaries are pretty bad, but I think NE is onto something when they go into a nickle and put Moore at LCB and McCourty at safety. It looks like a totally different unit that from earlier in the season. Still, neither has really impressed anyone.

Special Teams I think could favor NE by quite a bit, but both returners have put the ball on the ground, which is concerning. NY has some crazy luck when it comes to getting fumbles to bounce there way. Some of it is obviously the players, but when a football hits the ground, you can't tell me that it doesn't take some luck to get it to bounce towards you and away from the other. Turnovers aside, NE has been better at returning and covering kicks.

Coaching is closer than people thing. BB is a legend, and deservedly so, but Coughlin doesn't get enough credit, probably because of the medias crazy theories that he is going to get canned every season and he's now in his second SB in 4 years. Mind you, he's led the only NFC team back to the SB for a second time in the past decade.

Is that the third tackle they are replacing because he can't handle a bull rush or the tackle playing his first game in a couple months after breaking his jaw?

I agree with your other points though. I see it as a push at this point and the Patriot's passing attack does more to help the OL than the Giants does. So the Patriots OL will probably come out of the game playing the better game.

Solder can't handle a bull rush? WTF are you talking about? Vollmer didn't break his jaw either. Seriously, if you are going to spout garbage, do everyone a favor and do it somewhere else.

To revisit the Giants OL for a minute, they had thee worst rushing game in football and according to the Banks article allowed 220 QB pressures, most in football by 15. A good argument can be made that the Giants have the worst OL ion football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back