PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Commit to a 4-3?

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is this the year the Patriots commit to a 4-3 and draft players that have physical characteristics that match the scheme?

Up to now they have just dipped their toes in the water and drafted players that at are scheme versatile (Cunningham, Spikes, Mayo, Hightower, Jones, Bequette, Buchanon, Armstead, Kelly, Fanene, etc.) are all players that could play in a 3-4 or 4-3.

They have avoided the smaller, more athletic LB and the penetrating DT. I wonder is that shifts this year or they stay the course. Of course another option is that I am totally off base.

Last edited:
Avoided the penetrating DT? You named two in your list of players! Kelly & Armstead are both just that. In fact, so was Fanene - who played in a 4-3 in Cini so you named 3 of them. Jones (both of them) are 4-3 players primarily and Buchanon is a 4-3 end who was down on weight due to a broken jaw.

Mayo, Spikes & Cunningham were drafted when the team still played in a 3-4.

But your point about drafting players that can play 3-4 or 4-3 is to be perfectly honest, silly. You need players that can morph in and out of different looks & schemes. Look at Seattle and the things they do with the mix of 4-3 & 3-4 style players. Drafting players that can only play in scheme X and not scheme Y leaves you pretty 1 dimensional as a defense, that is not something you want to be.

Traditional "base" defenses are dying anyway it's all about multiple fronts and generating pressure in different ways, coupled with more DBs and coverage LBs. I'd be surprised if 2, 5 and 6 man defensive lines aren't used next season with the talent currently on the roster.

But your point about drafting players that can play 3-4 or 4-3 is to be perfectly honest, silly. You need players that can morph in and out of different looks & schemes. Look at Seattle and the things they do with the mix of 4-3 & 3-4 style players. Drafting players that can only play in scheme X and not scheme Y leaves you pretty 1 dimensional as a defense, that is not something you want to be.

Traditional "base" defenses are dying anyway it's all about multiple fronts and generating pressure in different ways, coupled with more DBs and coverage LBs. I'd be surprised if 2, 5 and 6 man defensive lines aren't used next season with the talent currently on the roster.

You raise some good points but especially at LB the Patriots are not typical compared to the 4-3 teams, Seattle and most 4-3 teams have LBs around 225 who can fly to the ball and cover TEs. As you mentioned sub packages are now the name of the game, mostly I was wondering if players like Shazier, Tripp, Jernigan, Easley will be in play or if they will stick to their knitting and look at players like Nix, Hageman, Tuitt.

BB has shown that he is not willing to sacrifice so much size on defense. I don't think someone like shazier and jernigan are actual options early anyway. I guess we won't hear us complaining like atlanta about needing to get bigger and stronger lol.

Is this the year the Patriots commit to a 4-3 and draft players that have physical characteristics that match the scheme?

Up to now they have just dipped their toes in the water and drafted players that at are scheme versatile (Cunningham, Spikes, Mayo, Hightower, Jones, Bequette, Buchanon, Armstead, Kelly, Fanene, etc.) are all players that could play in a 3-4 or 4-3.

They have avoided the smaller, more athletic LB and the penetrating DT. I wonder is that shifts this year or they stay the course. Of course another option is that I am totally off base.
I do not think Belichick will ever commit to a 4-3 or a 3-4, he will play odd and even fronts and look for players who can fit both schemes.

I like the fact that our defensive scheme is so diverse.. gives BB more tools to use when facing different types of challenges. Can also be used to confuse opposing offenses by giving them a new look.

That being said, I think we could use another athletic/speedy LB that can cover.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back