PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College DE to 3-4 Defense projections

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just feel this team has been bitten on some of the "work-out warriors" in the draft and I feel Johnson is one of em. Jackson, Watson are two that come to mind. I feel Johnson is not a good fit for us.

I just feel this team has been bitten on some of the "work-out warriors" in the draft and I feel Johnson is one of em. Jackson, Watson are two that come to mind. I feel Johnson is not a good fit for us.

Yes.. Watson was such a workout warrior. Was being talked about long before he ever did ANYTHING at the combine as being a 1st round pick, yet he was a "workout warrior."

Forgive me, but its clear that we see the definition of "workout warrior" differently. And, I actually watch what Watson has done on the field. Including when he was leading this team in receptions in 2006 prior to his injury.

I'm somewhat doubtful that Johnson is a good fit, but if BB thinks he is than I'm all for it as long as we don't trade up to get him. I assume we will take a hard look at him along with a host of other potential 3-4 LBs - Curry, Spikes, Maualuga, Hardy, Orapko, Brown, Sintim, Barwin, English, Cushing and Kruger among others just name name some potential first day picks - and if the value is there and they think he fits then it could happen. Not likely, but possible. There's around a dozen or more potential 3-4 LB candidates with first day grades, and some are going to fall to where they might be worth a gamble in the second round.

The Pats have shown a willingness to take a risk on players with high upside. As you have noted, some have not worked out as planned, such as Chad Jackson and (to a lesser degree) Ben Watson, but I doubt we would hesitate to pull the trigger again if BB thought the value and need were adequate. Particularly if we acquire one or more extra picks for Cassel, I could see the Pats being willing to roll the dice on a high risk/reward type on one of their first day picks while being more conservative with the others.

I'm somewhat doubtful that Johnson is a good fit, but if BB thinks he is than I'm all for it as long as we don't trade up to get him. I assume we will take a hard look at him along with a host of other potential 3-4 LBs - Curry, Spikes, Maualuga, Hardy, Orapko, Brown, Sintim, Barwin, English, Cushing and Kruger among others just name name some potential first day picks - and if the value is there and they think he fits then it could happen. Not likely, but possible. There's around a dozen or more potential 3-4 LB candidates with first day grades, and some are going to fall to where they might be worth a gamble in the second round.

The Pats have shown a willingness to take a risk on players with high upside. As you have noted, some have not worked out as planned, such as Chad Jackson and (to a lesser degree) Ben Watson, but I doubt we would hesitate to pull the trigger again if BB thought the value and need were adequate. Particularly if we acquire one or more extra picks for Cassel, I could see the Pats being willing to roll the dice on a high risk/reward type on one of their first day picks while being more conservative with the others.

The irony here is that if Johnson does well at the combine, say goodbye to him before pick #24. If he doesn't have a great workout, then he'd be available, but would the Pats want him?

Last edited:
I'm kind of a moron when it comes to overhyping the home team talent, so someone tell me what happened to Darrell Robertson last year? He was slated to go in the third round but went undrafted, then got cut by two different teams (and even played in Canada for a month).

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Darrell Robertson

I know he hurt his chest (pectoral?) and couldn't work out at the combine beyond the 40. I'm just wondering if anyone has any new info on him from the past few months?

Tough to watch a guy I liked last year fall so far. :(

I'm kind of a moron when it comes to overhyping the home team talent, so someone tell me what happened to Darrell Robertson last year? He was slated to go in the third round but went undrafted, then got cut by two different teams (and even played in Canada for a month).

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Darrell Robertson

I know he hurt his chest (pectoral?) and couldn't work out at the combine beyond the 40. I'm just wondering if anyone has any new info on him from the past few months?

Tough to watch a guy I liked last year fall so far. :(

I had Robertson in the 3rd round of my final Pats mock last year but I didn't know he was hurt and thought that might be the reason for his slide. He was picked up by Dallas and they had a lot of talent in front of him so that may explain his release there. I was surprised he wound up with the Edmonton Eskimos and was released less than three weeks later. The Pats may get something from him down the road but it's kind of a "what's up with that?" situation. Puzzling. As far as I know there are no red flags about him as a person.

Has anyone watched much of Paul Kruger, DE, Utah? He's declared for the draft after 2 years at Utah (he spent time on a Mission), is 23, and is 6'5" 265#, and one of the best pass rushers in college football. He's played all DE for Utah (no LB that I'm aware of) but has dropped back into coverage at times. He appears to be a high character, high motor guy. He was stabbed a year ago (defending his family when attacked by a gang) and suffered significant injuries, but came back strong this summer after missing all of spring practice and had a banner year. From what little I've seen he looks like a potential Jared Allen clone. I don't know if he could convert to OLB in the 3-4 (I heard rumors that BB loved Allen last year, but the price was too high), but he seems like at least another option to look into. It sounds like he's a likely late 1st or 2nd round pick right now.

I'd like comments about Shaugnessy from Wisconsin in the late 2nd, as a DE--> OLB conversion candidate. :confused:

I would guess that I want BB to move up from 23 to mid round (14-17) and take Lauranitis. now. Hopefully he will fall as others seek out Maualuga. Lauranitis has no weaknesses, and is much better in coverage than Rey. He is much faster, smarter, a student of the game and film rat. BB would like that in a tough but cerebral position on his Defense. OTOH he isn't the terror on tackling the run that Rey is for a SILB. The Pats need starting quality youth at LB and Lauranitis would make that LB corps pretty sweet, giving us three solid ILBs, to go with the young developing OLBs.:)

Has anyone watched much of Paul Kruger, DE, Utah? He's declared for the draft after 2 years at Utah (he spent time on a Mission), is 23, and is 6'5" 265#, and one of the best pass rushers in college football. He's played all DE for Utah (no LB that I'm aware of) but has dropped back into coverage at times. He appears to be a high character, high motor guy. He was stabbed a year ago (defending his family when attacked by a gang) and suffered significant injuries, but came back strong this summer after missing all of spring practice and had a banner year. From what little I've seen he looks like a potential Jared Allen clone. I don't know if he could convert to OLB in the 3-4 (I heard rumors that BB loved Allen last year, but the price was too high), but he seems like at least another option to look into. It sounds like he's a likely late 1st or 2nd round pick right now.

Kruger lost a kidney and spleen from what I read(don't know if it's true) but still holds a late round one-early two grade at NFLDraftScout. Utah looked to have a solid D and I liked what I saw of Koa Misi in that Bama game but I don't know if he can play LB or if he's even declaring. If Misi can't play LB he looks like he'd find a home with the Colts at DE.

I'd like comments about Shaugnessy from Wisconsin in the late 2nd, as a DE--> OLB conversion candidate. :confused:

I would guess that I want BB to move up from 23 to mid round (14-17) and take Lauranitis. now. Hopefully he will fall as others seek out Maualuga. Lauranitis has no weaknesses, and is much better in coverage than Rey. He is much faster, smarter, a student of the game and film rat. BB would like that in a tough but cerebral position on his Defense. OTOH he isn't the terror on tackling the run that Rey is for a SILB. The Pats need starting quality youth at LB and Lauranitis would make that LB corps pretty sweet, giving us three solid ILBs, to go with the young developing OLBs.:)

PLEASE don't give us Laurinaitis. Totally unsuited for the 3-4, and way overrated. He's a good player with lots of good qualities, but not for us. He's a poor man's Mayo at best in the 3-4, and we already have the real thing.

Only saw a couple of Badger games this year but I was paying attention to him specifically. While I'm not sure what his timed speed is, he doesn't play overly fast. Seems like a high effort guy and plays all over the field. Nice consolation prize if the Pats don't address OLB on the first day, but I wouldn't consider him in the 2nd round due to limited upside. Maybe with the Asante comp pick or see if he slide into the 4th round.

Has Maybin officially declared and how do people who've followed Penn State feel about the kid fitting into the Pats system as a OLB?

Watched him in the Sugar Bowl vs. Alabama, and fell in love with him. I was disappointed to see he was a sophomore (didn't realize he'd gone on a mission) and am glad to see him give the draft a look. Just seemed to TCOB regarding the run and the pass rush. Would love to see him on the Pats.

Last edited:
Has Maybin officially declared and how do people who've followed Penn State feel about the kid fitting into the Pats system as a OLB?

Maybin has officially declared. From what I've heard, the general concensus is that it was a mistake and that he's not ready. He has a lot of potential as a 3-4 OLB in the DeMarcus Ware mold, but a tremendous amount of bust potential as well. I sort of put him in the Michael Johnson class - great ability, could be phenomenal, but the odds are against him.

Watched him in the Sugar Bowl vs. Alabama, and fell in love with him. I was disappointed to see he was a sophomore (didn't realize he'd gone on a mission) and am glad to see him give the draft a look. Just seemed to TCOB regarding the run and the pass rush. Would love to see him on the Pats.

If we franchise and trade Cassel and get a low 1st/high 2nd in 2009 then I would love to see us use the extra pick on someone like Kruger or Greg Hardy as a DE/OLB convert to learn the elephant.

Maybin's teammate Maurice Evans also declared today, according to draftdaddy.com. Evans is 6'2" 262# 4.70. Had 12 sacks a year ago but was suspended this season for MJ use and then Maybin took his place, but still has a lot of potential. Should go late 2nd/3rd round given all the other talent.

What about Selivie from South Florida. I have heard he is a better end than OLB. The kid from Northwestern who got injured in the bowl game looks very intriguing to me. His name is escaping me at the moment. and I do realize he is a junior.

Selvie did not have a stellar season. The all-American teams overrated him on his Soph. performance. He wasn't even one of the top 2 DE's in the Big East, if you ask me.

PLEASE don't give us Laurinaitis. Totally unsuited for the 3-4, and way overrated. He's a good player with lots of good qualities, but not for us. He's a poor man's Mayo at best in the 3-4, and we already have the real thing.

I've seen Laurinaitis disappear quite a few times.

Very fast, body is not filled out yet.

He is Shawn Crable PART 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results