PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

College Coach Calls Timeout, Then Retires.

After 45 seasons! That's a man who didn't want a long season of farewells, and kept the focus on the young men he coached.

So simply and elegantly done, too. Literally walked off the field into the sunset.

The Brett Favres of the world might take a look at how a real warrior walks away.

Last edited:
What an a**hole.

After 45 seasons! That's a man who didn't want a long season of farewells, and kept the focus on the young men he coached.

So simply and elegantly done, too. Literally walked off the field into the sunset.

The Brett Favres of the world might take a look at how a real warrior walks away.
What an a**hole.
It appears that you could look at this in two different ways.

What an a**hole.

Did you by any chance just read the subject of this post, and think that that the coach abandoned his team in the middle of a game? Rest assured, it wasn't that at all.

He called timeout with 4 seconds remaining in an already decided game in order to gather all of his players and give them the news. This man had coached the team since 1966. The players gave him a heartfelt round of applause, then he quietly walked off the field as they remained to shake hands with their opponents. No muss, no fuss, pure dignity.

Did you by any chance just read the subject of this post, and think that that the coach abandoned his team in the middle of a game? Rest assured, it wasn't that at all.

He called timeout with 4 seconds remaining in an already decided game in order to gather all of his players and give them the news. This man had coached the team since 1966. The players gave him a heartfelt round of applause, then he quietly walked off the field as they remained to shake hands with their opponents. No muss, no fuss, pure dignity.
He may not have left in the middle of the game, but it sure seems to me that he is leaving in the middle of the season. (I know D2 football ends earlier than D1 because they start their playoffs early, but I don't think the regular season ends in October).

If he blindsided both his team and the school with this, I have to put myself in the "he's an a-hole" camp. I reserve the right to change my mind if other facts surface like, for example, a health issue.

He may not have left in the middle of the game, but it sure seems to me that he is leaving in the middle of the season. (I know D2 football ends earlier than D1 because they start their playoffs early, but I don't think the regular season ends in October).

If he blindsided both his team and the school with this, I have to put myself in the "he's an a-hole" camp. I reserve the right to change my mind if other facts surface like, for example, a health issue.
How about his age? He’s 77.

Yeah **** that old guy for deciding to hang it up on his terms. Now every single player is going to end up in prison or something.

Some of you people have no goddamn perspective when it comes to football, I swear.

Yeah **** that old guy for deciding to hang it up on his terms. Now every single player is going to end up in prison or something.

Some of you people have no goddamn perspective when it comes to football, I swear.
Why are you getting your panties in a bunch? Sorry not sorry, but I can't respect a coach who quits on his team with 2 games left to go.

I am basing my opinion on what we know. I reserve the right to gladly change my mind if something comes out like there was a health issue or something we don't know about. He walked out on his team during a lousy season with 2 games to go. I think that's a horrible lesson to teach his players. No they're not going to all become murderers and rapists, so your hyperbole is too ridiculous to address.

Here's a question I challenge you to man up and answer: His team is 1-8 this year. Ya think he does the same thing if they're 8-1? hmmmmm?

I very much doubt that key personnel were left entirely in the dark, XLIX. The media didn't know, and the officials didn't know, but you don't coach a team for 44 years without leaving your mark on the Assistant Coaches and I very much doubt they were unaware of his plans.

I also very much doubt he would have retired if he wasn't entirely confident in his replacement (likely a deserving Assistant Head Coach who was in waiting for the job for at least a year or two) to carry the team forward.

Why are you getting your panties in a bunch?

Step 1: Post some **** tier REEEEEEEEEE stuff about a coach quitting with 4 seconds to go because you clearly didn't read the article.

Step 2: When called out on it pull out the 'u mad' card.

Step 3: Prep the next uninformed hot take.

Step 1: Post some **** tier REEEEEEEEEE stuff about a coach quitting with 4 seconds to go because you clearly didn't read the article.

Step 2: When called out on it pull out the 'u mad' card.

Step 3: Prep the next uninformed hot take.
You obviously didn't read my post. I didn't criticize him for quitting with 4 seconds left. I criticized him for quitting with 2 games left in the season.

Oh and I knew you wouldn't man up and answer my very simple question. But by not answering it, ya kinda did....

I very much doubt that key personnel were left entirely in the dark, XLIX. The media didn't know, and the officials didn't know, but you don't coach a team for 44 years without leaving your mark on the Assistant Coaches and I very much doubt they were unaware of his plans.

I also very much doubt he would have retired if he wasn't entirely confident in his replacement (likely a deserving Assistant Head Coach who was in waiting for the job for at least a year or two) to carry the team forward.
Yeah, I'll buy that they probably knew. I still just don't see the honor in quitting on a team with 2 games left unless there is something going on here that hasn't been reported.

Yeah, I'll buy that they probably knew. I still just don't see the honor in quitting on a team with 2 games left unless there is something going on here that hasn't been reported.

Just retire when the season is over. Coached for over half a century so what’s the rush to leave. Wait two more weeks.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back