PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cleveland Given Permission To Interview Matt Patricia For HC Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
8. Fired Bill Belichick basically because they didnt trust his ability to pick a QB

9.) Then had their best QB of the last decade be a Bill Belichick castoff(who they then let go):confused:

Good God Matt, don't go to Cleveland! You'll have to go to Vegas just to retrieve your QB!

It'd be fun to interview with the browns, just gotta decide which accent I'd attempt. Probably Australian

Wtf...Matt Patricia does not strike me as a head coach. He's an engineer and technical expert but a buck-stops-here guy?

So of course the Browns want him. Dumbest team in the NFL.
My impression is that he has evolved into a leader as well

we need to win another super bowl THIS YEAR if patricia and mcdaniels end up leaving. who knows who will be our coordinators next year?
Daboll as OC and Graham as DC w/o the title

I'm kind of surprised Cleveland would go this route again given BB, Romeo and Mangina all busted out of Cleveland. Obviously BB might have taken them to the promised land had Modell not been Modell but I would want to break that chain once and for all.

I'm kind of surprised Cleveland would go this route again given BB, Romeo and Mangina all busted out of Cleveland. Obviously BB might have taken them to the promised land had Modell not been Modell but I would want to break that chain once and for all.

Another sign of how bad Cleveland's been, as a franchise:

The current iteration of the "Cleveland" franchise has been around since 1999:

1. In that time (17 years), it has 12 seasons of 5 wins or fewer, and only 5 seasons with 6 wins or more.
  2. In that time, it has only one season with 10 or more wins. The coach: Crennel.
  3. In that time, the team's 4 best records are 10-6 (Crennel), 9-7 (Butch Davis) and 7-9 ( Butch Davis and Brian Hoyer teams)

So, the much maligned Patriots connection is responsible for half of the most 'successful' seasons in this incarnation's history.

Last edited:
Well, Haslam has only been the owner since 2012.

He had decent FO guys in Joe Banner and Lombardi and scared them off.

IMO I don't think Lombardi had control over the draft- Haslam did.

Hey, Matt... if you take that job...

1389762888451087508.gif

...you're gonna need a bigger hose.
smileys-mrgreen.gif

Patricia won't take that job. He's much smarter than that.

Another sign of how bad Cleveland's been, as a franchise:

The current iteration of the "Cleveland" franchise has been around since 1999:

1. In that time (17 years), it has 12 seasons of 5 wins or fewer, and only 5 seasons with 6 wins or more.
  2. In that time, it has only one season with 10 or more wins. The coach: Crennel.
  3. In that time, the team's 4 best records are 10-6 (Crennel), 9-7 (Butch Davis) and 7-9 ( Butch Davis and Brian Hoyer teams)

So, the much maligned Patriots connection is responsible for half of the most 'successful' seasons in this incarnation's history.

That is truly sad.

Another HC position that is a career ender, not a career starter.

we need to win another super bowl THIS YEAR if patricia and mcdaniels end up leaving. who knows who will be our coordinators next year?
Not that I don't want to win a SB again but, if memory serves, we won it last year. I think that was due to many other folks like Brady, BB, Gronk, Edleman and a little dude named Butler, among others. Coaches are important, but they are pretty much interchangeable.

Its surprising he is willing to go there be interviewed, I thought he would politely decline..

Belichick has always encouraged his assistants to interview because he feels it benefits them down the road even if they don't get the job.

I wouldn't be surprised if Patricia would do the interview just to get some experience at interviewing for a HC position. The problem is Cleveland will make him an offer which he then has to turn down.

The Browns organization gets turned over more than a whorehouse mattress. No qualified current NFL coach/DC/OC should want that mess.

" Welcome aboard you have a season, maybe two to get us above .500 and all our 1st rounders are busts". HELLS NO!

I think Belichick supports and encourages them to always explore their options to grow professionally. They have 2 weeks until their first playoff game so its not that disruptive for them to lose 1 day. I hope he decides to stay and try to keep building off of this young defense full of rising stars, but I certainly won't hold a grudge against him moving on to advance his career and his salary substantially for his family.

It's frustrating though how much our coaching tree is poached by other teams. That's one of the burdens of being on top, especially for so long, everybody wants a piece of the action and will sign your assistants away to try and catch a lucky spark, or at the very least instill some of the operational structure that he learned from the Patriots into their program.

I hope he gets offered the job and politely declines, then coaches the defense to a dominant playoff run!

I wouldn't be surprised if Patricia would do the interview just to get some experience at interviewing for a HC position. The problem is Cleveland will make him an offer which he then has to turn down.
He should interview. Always take the opportunity to increase your visibility and expand your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back