PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung an Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he made the call on the fake punt in the playoffs on our own side of the 50, I lost any confidence this kid would stick around.

LET'S PARTY!!!!!!

d0887311352.jpg

He tried. He didn't succeed. Good luck to him on his new team.

Another Pats DB bites the dust. Maybe we'll get it right sometime soon.

I still find it hard to believe that people have so conveniently forgotten that Chung was arguably the best DB the Pats had in 2011, and was widely thought to be the Pats most likely DB to have a breakout year. So while no one can argue, that last season was a disaster for Chung, it might not mean he is a horrible player, and dismiss him out of hand. He still has plenty of time to rehab his career. Professional athletes sometimes have "bad years" and recover. Remember very few Charger fans lamented Rodney's departure from SD.

Chung always threw his body around with total abandon and gave his full effort when he was on the field. I'm sorry he didn't work out to everyone's expectations, but his had his movements. I wish him well with the Eagles

Eh, he wasn't good in 2011 either.

I'm ... relieved. Very relieved.

I still find it hard to believe that people have so conveniently forgotten that Chung was arguably the best DB the Pats had in 2011, and was widely thought to be the Pats most likely DB to have a breakout year. So while no one can argue, that last season was a disaster for Chung, it might not mean he is a horrible player, and dismiss him out of hand. He still has plenty of time to rehab his career. Professional athletes sometimes have "bad years" and recover. Remember very few Charger fans lamented Rodney's departure from SD.

Chung always threw his body around with total abandon and gave his full effort when he was on the field. I'm sorry he didn't work out to everyone's expectations, but his had his movements. I wish him well with the Eagles

Chung was most definitely not the Pats best DB in 2011. At the bare minimum, McCourty was better.

tough to make it in the NFL when you have a million dollar body being run by a 2 cent brain.

tough to make it in the NFL when you have a million dollar body being run by a 2 cent brain.

What did he ever do to you?

It's not like he was Merriwether.

Chung never had a million dollar body - - he was a too-short grinder and a big hitter who just didn't have speed for coverage.

Nice guy. Trended downward the longer he stayed. Not sure what happened there.

what happened??..great COLLEGIATE player....I thought he was small ,slow and easy to block this season as far as the times I saw him up close in person...on the tube he just comes across as lost in the passing game....

Usually it is a bad sign for a player when the only team interested happens to be coached by someone significant in the player's history. Chip Kelly probably remembers Chung as a borderline first round draft pick who owned the Pac 10/12 in the hayday and someone he can resurrect. Everyone else has been watching the NFL on Sundays for the last 2 years.

The fake punt I do not hold against Chung. I hold it against the coaching staff. They gave him the authority to call a fake punt in the first place. They should have had checks in place to void him of that optionality inside their own 50, or whatnot. Unless Reiss reported Chung went rouge, that one is on BB who presumably "approves" game plan of ST coach Scott Obrien I believe.

Its akin to blaming Hobbs for the Plexico catch. Yes Hobbs sucked and yes he had no chance of covering Plexico but BB was wrong to put him out there in that scheme on that down.

Bad players making bad plays which could have been prevented.

Nice guy. Trended downward the longer he stayed. Not sure what happened there.

He just can't cover at the NFL level. He did make a decent effort in training camp two years ago as I recall, but once he (and the staff) realized his ceiling was pretty low, I think that's when he just went downhill.

I predicted that he would not be back. Also Arrington will be cut once a suitable replacement is found, probably during the final cutdown to 53.

Like I opined ... was just not smart enough ... it is what it is in the league.

Your body gets you in the NFL ... your brain and dedication takes you to the next levels ... Chung did not have it.

Like I opined ... was just not smart enough ... it is what it is in the league.

Your body gets you in the NFL ... your brain and dedication takes you to the next levels ... Chung did not have it.

I am glad he is gone and agree he didn't make good decisions. I will say in his defense that when he was drafted BB had a different vision in mind for his defense. He was playing more zone and looking for someone who would lurk around and smack people. Now we have much more of a focus on man coverage and playing the ball in the air. This is because of more of an attacking front (4-3) and because of the number of rule changes in the NFL for player safety. Chung and Merriweather couldn't adapt to the changes so they are both gone. Wouldn't call him a bust just call him a poor fit for the defense used now.

I'm disappointed that he never turned into a good starting safety that he seemed he would be develop into as a rookie.
But I have no problem with Chung as a person (at least his public behavior) -- so I wish him the best of luck and hope he finds some success in Philly.

The PATS had a lot of holes in the defense from the fallout of offseason '08 that they're finally filling in. The last of the holes is in the secondary, and I think its great that they're letting guys like Chung walk. They're going to need faster and smarter for the position, and a better training regimen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents