PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chip Kelly and the Eagles Fast Break Offense

Can someone tell me what they/he actually did? I feel asleep after taking some allergy meds and only saw the first quarter, and what I saw was more of the same with Vick running around like a crazy person.

Keep in mind we're talking about a rookie NFL coach who just coached his first game against Mike Shanahan, I'd say he did pretty well.

I watched the whole game last night and I came away intrigued by their offense but it definitely seems to be getting way over played in this thread.

First off what we saw from a tempo perspective wasnt all that different from what Brady and this O has done at times (maybe a hair faster). And what we saw from a read option wasnt better than what some other read otpion guys have done.

What I took from last nights game first the Redskins were real rusty early and got their legs under them too late. Second more than Chip or the read O what stood out to me yesterday was what a healthy Shady McCoy can do. Lastly not waiving a huge indictment on him but I thought Chips game management could be better and seeing as it was his first NFL game I bet it does get better but the challenge he threw early was a joke and there were a few other moments where I thought he seemed a little off. Though I thought Shannahans game management was much worse especially late.

tumblr_mp63rqzR7k1qgh5t2o1_400.gif

Re: Re: OT- Chip Kelly

I watched the whole game last night and I came away intrigued by their offense but it definitely seems to be getting way over played in this thread.

First off what we saw from a tempo perspective wasnt all that different from what Brady and this O has done at times (maybe a hair faster). And what we saw from a read option wasnt better than what some other read otpion guys have done.

What I took from last nights game first the Redskins were real rusty early and got their legs under them too late. Second more than Chip or the read O what stood out to me yesterday was what a healthy Shady McCoy can do. Lastly not waiving a huge indictment on him but I thought Chips game management could be better and seeing as it was his first NFL game I bet it does get better but the challenge he threw early was a joke and there were a few other moments where I thought he seemed a little off. Though I thought Shannahans game management was much worse especially late.

Where do you think BB/McD got it from?

Agreed about his game management, he seems to have succumbed to the stupid virus afflicting NFL coaches when it comes to punting and that challenge was pretty bad.

P.S. I started this thread before the game actually began so it wasn't some knee jerk reaction, guy is a legit innovator imo

Highlights always capture the subtleties of a game!! God, you're dense.

Haha. All I could go by was highlights. If I wasn't so dense I could probably build that time machine and go watch the game live, but I'm dense so I cant.

I like Chip Kelly, I just don't see what was so great about having a lead and almost losing it.

Washington was so out of sync early that this game is a tough one to really evaluate the Eagles on. I thought the game was far more telling about the value of playing an exhibition game or two if you're a young NFL QB.

Thank you for actually responding with insight and an answer.

The offense was great. Kelly has to learn how to move from one tempo of play to another (even with a no huddle). I don't see why he can't learn time management, especially when his team is ahead. And yes, he will hear this a hundred times this week.

Thank you for actually responding with insight and an answer.

No problem.... I think Yahoo! summed it up pretty well:

When running back Alfred Morris fumbled on Washington's next play, Vick responded with a 25-yard scoring strike to Jackson with Hall trailing. At that point, 6:01 into the game, the Eagles had run 19 plays for 146 yards while the Redskins had one snap for 3 yards.

When Griffin's first downfield throw -- into triple coverage for receiver Santana Moss -- was intercepted by Brandon Boykin, Washington had two turnovers, a penalty and a 3-yard loss among its first five plays.

The Redskins' next series was even worse, as Griffin fumbled as he tried to hand the ball to Morris in the end zone. Morris recovered for a safety that made it 12-7 with 4:50 left in the quarter...

...The second half began in similar fashion, as Philadelphia cornerback Cary Williams picked off a pass, giving Griffin his first career two-interception game. Two plays later, running back LeSean McCoy scooted 34 yards to make it 33-7.

Y! SPORTS

It's tough to win when you're playing like that.

Some degree of Washington's funk needs to be attributed to the Eagles' D. They were blitzing all through the first half and putting lots of pressure on RG3.

Similarly, the Eagles almost let the game slip away when they fell to "convention" and eased off pressure in the 2nd half, preferring to keep everything in front of them.

Agreed about his game management, he seems to have succumbed to the stupid virus afflicting NFL coaches when it comes to punting and that challenge was pretty bad.

P.S. I started this thread before the game actually began so it wasn't some knee jerk reaction, guy is a legit innovator imo

I know BB got some of his ideas from Chip but lets not act like Chip invented the idea. It has been around for a long time. I remember the Jim Kelly Kgun offense was run at warp speed at times. I think what BB did last year and what Chip would like to do is run at that speed more regularly where as teams in the past would use it sparingly afraid to wear out their own guys or just afraid to get confused always going at that speed.

Dont get me wrong I am not trying to belittle Chips offensive mind as I think he has proven himself and deserves the chance to show it off at this level. All I was trying to say is that I thought the announcers and some in this thread have blown a gasket over the pace of the first half and its not like we havent seen that and it was also very much caused by the poor play of the Skins as it was the pace of the Eagles.

As i read or heard somewhere its not the number of plays to compare with NE and broncos. Dont think that is the only difference. They have a far more spread look. Few times they had only 3 linemen protecting vick and jason peters was split out wider. Idea is to spread out and make plays in space. Little different than what NE and Denver do. Not saying its going to work but just comparing number of plays is not enough comparison.

yfHyynw.gif

Washington was the 28th ranked defense last years and Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson have all been to Pro bowls befor Kelly got there so I will wait to see how they do the rest of the season befor I call him the next great offensive coach

A better test will be if/when Vick gets injured and misses a few games and they have to turn to Foles or Barkley. Let's see what he does to alter the game plan and if they can have success in another system other than what Vick and company ran last night.....

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back