PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chip Kelly and the Eagles Fast Break Offense

Why not??? BB had miserable success in his first gig.. he learned a lot between Cleveland, NY Giants and the NEP... as did many coaches.

A meritocracy has always been the hallmark of this franchise.. you get what you work for.

I'm with you but that would also mean you don't limit yourself to who you have in house, if Kelly really is the best candidate for the job he should get the nod.

I'm with you but that would also mean you don't limit yourself to who you have in house, if Kelly really is the best candidate for the job he should get the nod.

If Kelly turned the Eagles around, do you think Jeff Lurie would let him go???

Some of this stuff just does not make sense, oh look the Eagles won this game, ergo the Patriots should try to lure Kelly away if and when BB retires...

Anything new in the NFL creates a buzz, but after teams figure out to defend it it becomes old news...

I love what Chip Kelly is doing in the NFL. There are a lot of myths about what will and will not work in the NFL, which are promoted by a) lazy coaches who don't want to change b) NFL media and c) NFL players.

I never believed in this or that college's offense can't work in the NFL. It's all about execution. Poor execution of a "pro style" offense is not superior to an excellent execution of a "college style" offense, and vice-versa.

We heard read-option wouldn't work, then Tebow has success in Denver, Cam in Carolina, and then RGIII and Kaepernick took it to the next level. Kelly and Vick are taking it to an even higher level. We are going to see more of this on more teams, not less. This isn't a Wildcat fad, it's the future until something else replaces it. (A11 style offense maybe in 10-15 years?)

Not sure why people are talking as if Vick sucks. He had a terrible year in 2012, but the guy has a rocket attached to his shoulder. IMO, the prettiest throw in the NFL. He looked good in the preseason and week 1. As long as he stays healthy and limits his turnovers, Chip Kelly and Vick can lead the Eagles all the way. I'm not picking them to win the SB, but they have a squad that must be respected.

If Kelly is as good as advertises how would he end up here? If he gets fired from Philly eventually then we probably don't want him? Will be interesting to see what happens if there is an heir being groomed like McDaniels(but not with GM powers perhaps). Personally, I don't know why BB would retire, he breathes, dreams, and eats football. What would he do?

I think David Shaw will be a good prospective NFL head coach.

all after 1 game?

we'll see this offense fail....just watch

all after 1 game?

we'll see this offense fail....just watch

More than likely it will get slowed down sooner or later. But in the interim, it looked good. The Redskins defense was gassed by the second quarter last night.

Why not??? BB had miserable success in his first gig.. he learned a lot between Cleveland, NY Giants and the NEP... as did many coaches.

I don't know if I would say that. He took a 3-13 team and improved it to a playoff team (6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5). That final 5-11 year had high expectations crushed by the move to Baltimore, which frankly no coach would have been able to manage. The team consistently improved.

McDaniels will be credited with a good draft, but he made the overall team worse (3-9) and Fox turned it into a playoff team within one year. His player management appeared lacking, and he appeared to lose control of his team. Right now he is a decent OC, but it remains to be seen if he could ever run an NFL franchise. While BB's issues in Cleveland were external (fans, media and move), McDaniels' issues seemed to be self-inflicted. Former Browns players respected BB. I have not heard the same love from McDaniels' former players, other than those respecting his OC abilities.

OT- Chip Kelly

My first choice would be Nick Saban to be honest. I don't care that he failed with Miami in the past. He's a good coach and he could do wonders with a semi-talented team.

I wouldn't mind coach Kelly though, no doubt.

Not fully sold on Brian Kelly, but he's another to possibly keep an eye on down the road.

Hopefully we don't have to find out for another 6-7 yrs!

Saban is about the same age as BB.

More than likely it will get slowed down sooner or later. But in the interim, it looked good. The Redskins defense was gassed by the second quarter last night.

I thought the redskins offense handed them the game on a silver platter

as long as vick is the QB, there will be glorious moments as always......then there will be the flip side when he starts to stagger around week 4

Can someone tell me what they/he actually did? I feel asleep after taking some allergy meds and only saw the first quarter, and what I saw was more of the same with Vick running around like a crazy person.

If Kelly turned the Eagles around, do you think Jeff Lurie would let him go???

Some of this stuff just does not make sense, oh look the Eagles won this game, ergo the Patriots should try to lure Kelly away if and when BB retires...

Anything new in the NFL creates a buzz, but after teams figure out to defend it it becomes old news...

Perhaps they have a down season or two due to injuries, there might be a chance. Anyway, if he's not available then we don't worry about it, but if he is available one shouldn't discount him because he's coming from outside.

He's about to change quite a few stupid NFL conventions imo. I hope he's the next Pats coach honestly.

If Chip Kelly remains successful this year. Urban Meyer is going to be the NFL coach de jour next season. Similar schemes, more attention to defense/special teams.

OK just watched the highlights. Didn't see anything all that special. So they ran a bunch of plays (pats ran more) and they went for it on 4th and short (pats do that all the time) then they almost pissed away their lead.

Is this another example of fans being told whats hot and exciting and just hyping it up with out forming your own opinion?

OT- Chip Kelly

OK just watched the highlights. Didn't see anything all that special. So they ran a bunch of plays (pats ran more) and they went for it on 4th and short (pats do that all the time) then they almost pissed away their lead.

Is this another example of fans being told whats hot and exciting and just hyping it up with out forming your own opinion?

Highlights always capture the subtleties of a game!! God, you're dense.

In reference you earlier post of Vick running around like a crazy person and the post quoted above...

We must have watched two different games, because it looked nothing like that to my eyes. Vick/McCoy/Jackson were great. I saw a well-coached, well-run offense. The Redskins offense started to gel after looking completley lost in the first half. The Redskins have a very respectable offense, so it is no surprise that they would make a push late in the game at their home field.

Washington was so out of sync early that this game is a tough one to really evaluate the Eagles on. I thought the game was far more telling about the value of playing an exhibition game or two if you're a young NFL QB.

people seem to be over reacting based on the eagles playing an okay first half and the redskins playing one of the worst first halfs since the last time the giants played.

Seriously the redskins first drive

2 plays lost fumble

second drive

4 plays interception

third drive
2 plays Fumble

8th drive

4 plays interception

9th drive
missed field goal

4 turn overs and a turn over on downs, and the eagles won by 6

This should have been a blowout, and the eagles Barely held on for the win.

Hardly anything to be saying "i hope hes the next pats coach"

I don't you can take anything away from this first week. That game last night was sloppy and poorly played. RGIII was in no shape to play and you can see that Vick already is hurt. The Eagles are still a 7-9 team.

Marched down field with ease and then Vick ignores the huge lane to walk into the End Zone and makes what could be a stupid play.

The scheme is top notch and exciting, it's a shame about the QB he has though.

shame about vick, what could this offense do with a real QB:rolleyes:

Vick seems to be doing fine. There are only 2 or 3 'Real' QBs in the league who come once in a long time.

This is sort of strange but I believe Kelly's system is designed to reduce the dependency on an elite QB. Having an elite QB won't hurt but the gains aren't as extreme as you might think.

oy, whats wrong with vick :confused: he seems to be doing fine out there.. OTOH how many plays did they run in the first half?

Kelly's system doesn't call for a "real QB". His QB's just have to be mobile and accurate on top of making the right option call pre-snap. Out of the QB's he had to work with, Vick was by far the best fit.

My attempt at sarcasm gets lost over the interwebs lol. Vick, Kaep, Luck, RG3, Wilson, Cam are the type of QB's that are perfect for the zone read.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back