PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chiefs player Jovan Belcher dead in murder-suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL is a business. Name the last business you can think of that suspended operations because a coworker was killed. If you can, I'd be honestly surprised.

Remember this is the league that played games two days after JFK was assassinated. Rozelle later admitted that it was a mistake but they still played.

The NFL is a business. Name the last business you can think of that suspended operations because a coworker was killed. If you can, I'd be honestly surprised.

Are you serious? I can think of numerous companies that suspended operations after co-workers were killed.. Does 9/11 ring a bell?

Since then, Schools that have had shootings have stopped classes for a couple days. Businesses have done the same, particularly when it happens at the facility..

Tragic, way tooo young. Suicide is never an option, shame he couldn't get help for whatever reasons. Thoughts and prayers out to his family.

Of course I feel for the girlfriend and her family. I didn't think I needed to make that clear from the get go when I mentioned the baby (which should have led to the train of thought that I felt most for it because it will now grow up without its natural parents). Here is who I feel most for, in order...

1. The child.

2. The girlfriend.

3. Her mother.

4. Belcher's family.

5. RAC and Pioli.

6. Belcher.

Just an update. The woman who witnessed the GF get shot was actually Belcher's mother. She considered Perkins like a daughter.

Hey, in that article, they report that grief counselors were going to be available the next day.
Yeah, to counsel the employees on how to live with the harsh reality that they're workers at a freaking meat packing plant. ehh haaa haa

Comments like yours are classless. Just as are the hundreds of comments I have seen on different news sites saying such things like "Maybe the shock will help the Chiefs win one" or "Women cause more crap than one can possibly imagine. More men are either dead or in prison due to a woman than for any other reason." or even " The problem with most sports figures is they are babied, pampered and are used to getting anything they want. Some can't handle losing a girlfriend or wife, just someone telling them "NO" and they go to pieces.They are clueless what it's like in the real world."

I have seen one semi-classy thing. The group, "Save the Chiefs", was planning on doing a "Can Scott Pioli" food drive tomorrow and they have cancelled it due to the incident.

To be fair, though, a meat-packing plant doesn't have thousands of fans traveling in from out of town for an event less than 24 hours away.

The meat packing plant was an answer to the poster who wrote:

Name the last business you can think of that suspended operations because a coworker was killed. If you can, I'd be honestly surprised.

The rest was a separate observation that the league has bumped Sunday games to Monday before.

This whole situation is terrible, and there's nothing the NFL can do to change that fact. (BTW, by the accounts I've read they did consult with Romeo in making the decision to play as planned.)

And at least one report/rumor was that the Chiefs didn't want to play (I read it on Chiefsplanet and don't have a specific link), and actually begged the league to change the date of the game. I don't know if that's true, but it's out there.*

*Edit: In running a thread search for the word "beg", it did not come up. The search may not have worked properly, the person who posted that report/rumor may have retracted it, etc.... but I felt it important to note the results of the search.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing justifies the action of taking another person's life, and I don't recall reading anything on this thread suggesting a "justification" or what happened. But the circumstances can certainly be relevant to why it happened, and the degree of condemnation. It's been suggested that Belcher was "diabolical", "cowardly", "selfish" and even without a soul, but also depressed, possibly suffering from encephalopathy, stressed, etc. We don't know, and I'm not interested in speculation. Regardless of the reasons, the kid did something inexcusable, and paid with his life. A lot of people's lives have been shattered by what happened.

Mayo - I have to disagree with you. There are cases where taking someone's life is justified. Such as protecting one's family from harm. This case, as far as we know, is not one of them, though.

I was the one who mentioned CTE and I mentioned it as something that COULD have been related to the incident. I did not say that it was.

That being said, you are correct. A lot of people's lives have been shattered by what happened. I can remember like it was yesterday (though it was 18 years ago) the shock and horror i felt when I learned a friend of mine had been murdered. It changed my life.

And at least one report/rumor was that the Chiefs didn't want to play (I read it on Chiefsplanet and don't have a specific link), and actually begged the league to change the date of the game. I don't know if that's true, but it's out there.

I hadn't seen that report. All the tweets that I saw said that the Chiefs, after the coaches and players sat down and talked, agreed to play the game tomorrow.

I'm sure we'll hear through the NFLPA or possibly even the players themselves if it is otherwise.

The NFLPA has been involved in the discussions. The team captains were as well. Postponing the game for 24 hours doesn't really accomplish anything. Perhaps the can Pioli folks can do something meaningful and re-organize themselves to collect cash donations to a trust fund for Zoey. Sure lots of players in KC and elsewhere will kick in too, as well as the organization. Not even 3 months old so she's gonna need financial and emotional support for a long time.

As per NFLN Chiefs/Panthers game won't be canceled in fact KC organization insisted on playing.

Mayo - I have to disagree with you. There are cases where taking someone's life is justified. Such as protecting one's family from harm. This case, as far as we know, is not one of them, though.

I was the one who mentioned CTE and I mentioned it as something that COULD have been related to the incident. I did not say that it was.

That being said, you are correct. A lot of people's lives have been shattered by what happened. I can remember like it was yesterday (though it was 18 years ago) the shock and horror i felt when I learned a friend of mine had been murdered. It changed my life.

I wasn't including self defense, which obviously wasn't a factor in this case, but I agree with you in that situation (or defense of a helpless 3rd party, such as a child). And I'm not panning people for speculating - it's natural to want to know why such as event happened - but we shouldn't get carried away without knowing the facts.

I took care of one case where a woman with known mental illness was off her meds because her insurance wouldn't cover them, and subsequently shot her husband and tried to kill her teenage daughter. The wounded husband tackled her, and later died of his injuries. The daughter was left with one parent dead and a second one who had tried to kill her, mentally ill and institutionalized. Tragic.

What happened today was very, very bad. Why it happened remains to be seen, but my personal reaction is one of great sadness more than judgment.

God damn, horrible story.

Comments like yours are classless. Just as are the hundreds of comments I have seen on different news sites saying such things like "Maybe the shock will help the Chiefs win one" or "Women cause more crap than one can possibly imagine. More men are either dead or in prison due to a woman than for any other reason." or even " The problem with most sports figures is they are babied, pampered and are used to getting anything they want. Some can't handle losing a girlfriend or wife, just someone telling them "NO" and they go to pieces.They are clueless what it's like in the real world."

I have seen one semi-classy thing. The group, "Save the Chiefs", was planning on doing a "Can Scott Pioli" food drive tomorrow and they have cancelled it due to the incident.

I was getting a little burnt out after plowing through about 130 condolences on The Chiefs tragedy. I saw this site's #1 poster link an article about a meat packing plant. Look, the article looked so out of place, I decided to have a little fun with it. In my eyes, my joke was a little UNrelated black humor in the middle of a long heavy-themed thread. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who needed a little levity.
So I busted on meat packing plant employees. Come on now, it was just sitting there. The article looked so out of place on a thread that was supposed to be news on today's NFL tragedy, I just couldn't resist.
People click to get the latest on the Jovan Belcher incident in Kansas City and Deus posts a link for a freaking meat packing plant? In California, no less?

Whoops, I did it again. lol. Look, Deus' link appears so off-topic at first glance, it's a chip shot to take a tiny lighthearted swipe at it. gawd. lol. The guy's got what? 30 thousand posts? He sits in Mount Olympus around here. My black humor was like pelting a battleship's hull with a b.b. gun. Guy's teflon. I made a little remark about his obscure link. It was the little guy's big chance & I took it. Deus, a meat packing link on a murder-suicide thread? There's gotta be less humorous locations where one could site similar situations to what went down at Arrowhead today. It's related to why people make jokes about someone "going postal". The reputation of both of those workplaces are made for black humor. Deus, couldn't you have found a link to a related incident happening at a workplace high enough on the sociological ladder where they're not made fun of for holding their jobs in the first place?
Click on a thread expecting to get up to date info on the latest dour NFL tragedy and yet there's a link so you can learn all about California meat packing plant protocol instead? lol. I have to laugh. Not everybody is gonna get that though. It does take a little world-weary sophistication to appreciate black humor posted in a seemingly inappropriate place... Da Bruinz.
Yet, that's why it works, after all. And it certainly didn't cross the line nor was it classless or in bad taste. It was UNrelated to the thread's topic. Ya really think I'd go THERE? Because that's what you're trying to say, with all the things you linked my comment to. My jibe was from way out in left field, leave it there.

Know what I do designate as something which I'd rather not see? People posting like Jovan Belcher was their best friend or whatever. Oh, and people discussing murder suicides on a site created for freaking football talk. Wanna broach a serious topic like that? Pull aside a family member or close friend and then talk about it.

I was getting a little burnt out after plowing through about 130 condolences on The Chiefs tragedy. I saw this site's #1 poster link an article about a meat packing plant. Look, the article looked so out of place, I decided to have a little fun with it. In my eyes, my joke was a little UNrelated black humor in the middle of a long heavy-themed thread. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who needed a little levity.
So I busted on meat packing plant employees. Come on now, it was just sitting there. The article looked so out of place on a thread that was supposed to be news on today's NFL tragedy, I just couldn't resist.
People click to get the latest on the Jovan Belcher incident in Kansas City and Deus posts a link for a freaking meat packing plant? In California, no less?

Whoops, I did it again. lol. Look, Deus' link appears so off-topic at first glance, it's a chip shot to take a tiny lighthearted swipe at it. gawd. lol. The guy's got what? 30 thousand posts? He sits in Mount Olympus around here. My black humor was like pelting a battleship's hull with a b.b. gun. Guy's teflon. I made a little remark about his obscure link. It was the little guy's big chance & I took it. Deus, a meat packing link on a murder-suicide thread? There's gotta be less humorous locations where one could site similar situations to what went down at Arrowhead today. It's related to why people make jokes about someone "going postal". The reputation of both of those workplaces are made for black humor. Deus, couldn't you have found a link to a related incident happening at a workplace high enough on the sociological ladder where they're not made fun of for holding their jobs in the first place?
Click on a thread expecting to get up to date info on the latest dour NFL tragedy and yet there's a link so you can learn all about California meat packing plant protocol instead? lol. I have to laugh. Not everybody is gonna get that though. It does take a little world-weary sophistication to appreciate black humor posted in a seemingly inappropriate place... Da Bruinz.
Yet, that's why it works, after all. And it certainly didn't cross the line nor was it classless or in bad taste. It was UNrelated to the thread's topic. Ya really think I'd go THERE? Because that's what you're trying to say, with all the things you linked my comment to. My jibe was from way out in left field, leave it there.

Know what I do designate as something which I'd rather not see? People posting like Jovan Belcher was their best friend or whatever. Oh, and people discussing murder suicides on a site created for freaking football talk. Wanna broach a serious topic like that? Pull aside a family member or close friend and then talk about it.

Poster asked a question. I gave a completely relevant answer which was timely and appropriate. Post count had nothing to do with it. Quit behaving like an ass in a thread of this nature.

Poster asked a question. I gave a completely relevant answer which was timely and appropriate. Post count had nothing to do with it. Quit behaving like an ass in a thread of this nature.

pretty damned articulate, wasn't it tho?

(this has been pawn pewsterbaby, falling back into line, sire. tally ho... and stuff.)

I hear ya BTM, sad circumstances at Arrow Head not sure but I think that Belcher shot himself in front of RC & S.Pioli, TRAGIC!
The report is that, after talking with Crennel, Pioli and LB Coach Gary Gibbs, Belcher saw the cops, turned, walked away and then shot himself with those 3 looking on.

As has been mentioned, though, we don't know the circumstances of "WHY" it all happened. We may never know unless his mom (who was first reported as the GF's mom) makes a statement about the argument that seems to have precipitated the incident.

The report is that, after talking with Crennel, Pioli and LB Coach Gary Gibbs, Belcher saw the cops, turned, walked away and then shot himself with those 3 looking on.

As has been mentioned, though, we don't know the circumstances of "WHY" it all happened. We may never know unless his mom (who was first reported as the GF's mom) makes a statement about the argument that seems to have precipitated the incident.

Good points DaBruinz but I think we'd agree that there is not one thing that made Belcher do what he did today.

The nature of the argument would provide insight but I'd be shocked if it provided THE core reason for today's awful tragedy.

What a terrible story from every angle.
Thankfully whatever rage Belcher felt he left his baby girl out of it. All too often that's not the case when men kill the women they've been involved with.
Also feel just awful for Romeo, Scott and Gary. The horror they experienced today can be a life altering event. Hope they all get the proper counseling.
Being a huge Romeo Crennel fan it's really bothers me that such a good guy has to go through this terrible year. I really wish Bill would bring him back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST