PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Police confirm Murder-Suicide in McNair death investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weird thing about this all is how the medical examiner confirmed that Sahel first shot McNair in the right temple,Then proceded to shoot him twice in the chest and then went to his left temple and shot the 4th bullet into him there - Thats more disturbing then I thought originally and she had to have been totally wacked out or drugged up if this is true to kill someone like this,He was probably dead the moment the first bullet entered his right temple and probably not necessary to enter more bullets in a sadistic way like that.

Were this an unknown, profilers would instantly lable such shooting as a crime where extreme emotion or passion influenced the behaviour.

I agree with those who simply said that McNair was indulging in risky behaviour as a much older married man with four kids 'dating' a girl just out of her teens who had several substance abuse problems. How is such a relationship going to end well???

Before people project statememts not made into this post as they've done to previous posts this does NOT mean that McNair deserved the awfull fate that happened to him. I'm a McNair fan and have positive memories of his fine NFL career that I will not let this horrific end despoil.

Am I wrong to think that in memory along with celebrating his ability to play football McNairs poor decision making should be discussed? Wouldnt anyone 36 or older see the potential that there are issues with a 20 year old who would date you at 36?

There are no more potential issues than normal, which is to say that the issues involve the specific individuals involved and not some generalized association.

Overwhelmingly, older men who sleep with younger women do not ended up murdered by the younger woman.

There are no more potential issues than normal, which is to say that the issues involve the specific individuals involved and not some generalized association.

Overwhelmingly, older men who sleep with younger women do not ended up murdered by the younger woman.

Thats why I think theres something wrong here... The report say she had gun residue on her left hand but shot her right temple... How many people can actually point there left hand to there right temple and pretend to shoot, :eek:...

Last edited:
Thats why I think theres something wrong here... The report say she had gun residue on her left hand but shot her right temple... How many people can actually point there left hand to there right temple and pretending to shoot, :eek:...

She shot McNair four times first...

I know that but she turned her gun on herself with her left and shot her right temple...

Or the gun was in her right hand when she shot herself.

Tonight I turned on NFL Network when they were showing an old QB Challenge competition just to see Drew Bledsoe wearing his old-style (i.e. late 1990s) Pats jersey (I still prefer those to the ones we have now). Anyway, McNair was one of the QBs participating, when I saw him it was kind of a hit in the gut. So weird to think of a guy so young being gone. He was even still wearing an Oilers jersey (I'm guessing this thing took place in either 1998 or early 1999, because of that and because Ryan Leaf is there in a Chargers jersey.)

The Oilers kept their old name and logo for their first two seasons in Tennessee. Sometime during the summer of '99 the name/logo/uniform change was announced.

True. However a 36 year old married man with 4 kids who has a 20 year old girlfriend on the side, who strings along the young girl with promises of leaving his family, while actually cheating with a second girlfriend, does take on a higher risk of being murdered than the average 36 year old man. ( The current betrayed wife, both girlfriends, miscellaneous boyfriends of the two girls, along with angry fathers and brothers all slightly increase the odds of a bad ending.)

True. However a 36 year old married man with 4 kids who has a 20 year old girlfriend on the side, who strings along the young girl with promises of leaving his family, while actually cheating with a second girlfriend, does take on a higher risk of being murdered than the average 36 year old man. ( The current betrayed wife, both girlfriends, miscellaneous boyfriends of the two girls, along with angry fathers and brothers all slightly increase the odds of a bad ending.)

No more than, say... playing professional football.

The guy made a terrible mistake. We have no way of knowing, nor do we have any need to know, whether this was part of a pattern of hidden behavior or whether it was a one time event.

McNair became involved with someone a lot younger, who was, in retrospect, unstable and dangerous. That was really bad judgment. Combined with bad luck and bad timing (regarding his companion's own mental state and desperation), it resulted in tragedy. By risking marriage and family on such a relationship in close proximity to his own home, McNair himself shows that he probably had some "issues" as well.

Beyond that, I really don't have much more to say. I choose to remember Steve McNair as the MVP who came up a yard short of taking the SB into OT.

No more than, say... playing professional football.

Give it up. Your line of reasoning has already been blown out of the water on this thread several times.

Give it up. Your line of reasoning has already been blown out of the water on this thread several times.

When did this happen? All I've seen is a bunch of people proclaiming his actions to be immoral (duh), and/or that he's responsible for what happened because he was dating an unstable young woman. Just because it's immoral to cheat on your wife does not make it reasonable to draw a straight line between cheating on your wife and being murdered. Statistically, you're more likely to be murdered by a wife than a mistress. It just doesn't add up, rationally, but a couple of you continue to insist that either a) acting immorally means that you bear some responsibility in your death (puritanical, at best) or b) dating a young, unstable woman on the side is a recipe for murder (it isn't. You can claim whatever 'common sense' answer you want, but the facts don't back you up.)

I agree that cheating is a horrible thing to do to your wife, and that he acted immorally, and that it's disgraceful to be so irresponsible and cavalier with your duties as a husband and a father. But if you actually try to look at this calmly and rationally for a change, you'll realize that that's a completely separate issue from whether or not he bears responsibility in his death.

Last edited:

For the record, im not disagreeing with ya. Im curious about something. Are these people (who have declared themselves victorious here.lol.) implying that a soldier killed in combat is partly responsible for his death? I mean, he wouldnt have been killed in combat had he not joined the armed forces. I realize its a very different situation, but really, is anyone really responsible for their own killing? Obviously suicide is your own fault, but being killed by someone shouldnt be blamed on the victim. Its 2am here, and if im killed while being at an all night market buying milk, is that my fault? That is when most robberies occur around here. Im aware of that, but still wouldnt be responsible if some moron whos robbing the place im in, decides to kill me. Am i making sense, or am i really tired? :D

For the record, im not disagreeing with ya. Im curious about something. Are these people (who have declared themselves victorious here.lol.) implying that a soldier killed in combat is partly responsible for his death? I mean, he wouldnt have been killed in combat had he not joined the armed forces. I realize its a very different situation, but really, is anyone really responsible for their own killing? Obviously suicide is your own fault, but being killed by someone shouldnt be blamed on the victim. Its 2am here, and if im killed while being at an all night market buying milk, is that my fault? That is when most robberies occur around here. Im aware of that, but still wouldnt be responsible if some moron whos robbing the place im in, decides to kill me. Am i making sense, or am i really tired? :D

Makes perfect sense; that's exactly the point that I was trying to make, but you did it better. Separating the moral outrage of cheating on his wife from the fundamental lunacy of having responsibility be shared by the victim was a good move, and really demonstrates how ridiculous that whole argument is.

Makes perfect sense; that's exactly the point that I was trying to make, but you did it better. Separating the moral outrage of cheating on his wife from the fundamental lunacy of having responsibility be shared by the victim was a good move, and really demonstrates how ridiculous that whole argument is.

You STILL do not get it. And if you haven't by now, I don't think you will. "Moral outrage" has nothing to do with the FACT that McNair engaged in risky behavior with an out-of-control GIRL who behaved extremely irrationally and erratically and TOLD people around her that she was going to end it all. Does this portend murder? OF COURSE NOT! But McNair was complicit to the degree that he VOLUNTARILY involved himself in a situation that promised to end badly, and possibly violently. Anyone who can't see red flags leading to trouble in a situation like that either is stupid, blind, or in extreme denial.

... implying that a soldier killed in combat is partly responsible for his death? I mean, he wouldnt have been killed in combat had he not joined the armed forces. I realize its a very different situation, but really, is anyone really responsible for their own killing?

Directly responsible? No. Complicit? YES! Your example of a soldier killed in combat is a good one. Had he not enlisted, knowing full well that he potentially would be put in a life-threatening situation, he would not be killed in combat.

The problem with BradyFTW's "reasoning" is that he appears to believe things happen in a vacuum and that people like McNair share no degree of responsibility for situations ending in disaster. His role in what precipitated this tragedy cannot be denied.

And finally, McNair was a liar and a predator involving this girl. He not only "signed up for hazardous duty," he went out of his way to do it. Check out this article: http://www.kansascity.com/491/story/1316212.html

Last edited:

I didnt say he should have expected to be murdered. I said that articles such as Lupica's that glorifiy McNair's celebrity to make their point (in this case gun control) seem one-sided to me.
If Steve McNair was an auto worker, the minor coverage this received would probably have included a lot of criticism of hs decision making. Here, it includes grandeur calling him the best thing to happen to his hometown and second place is 'nothing'. Perhaps neither should be part of the discourse.
I guess my point is that because he played in the NFL (just as if he could sing, dance or act) the coverage is very different. In the end you have a man who is dead leaving behind a family, and it always bothers me that when that man has been on TV people somehow treat his life as more valuable that janitor who left behind his family as well.

A 36 year old man who goes to a bank takes on a higher risk of being murdered than someone who turns his home into a locked fortress and does all his banking online. So what? Again, most men who have affairs, with women of any age, do not end up murdered. Wives kill a higher percentage of men than do girlfriends.

Last edited:
I didnt say he should have expected to be murdered. I said that articles such as Lupica's that glorifiy McNair's celebrity to make their point (in this case gun control) seem one-sided to me.
If Steve McNair was an auto worker, the minor coverage this received would probably have included a lot of criticism of hs decision making. Here, it includes grandeur calling him the best thing to happen to his hometown and second place is 'nothing'. Perhaps neither should be part of the discourse.
I guess my point is that because he played in the NFL (just as if he could sing, dance or act) the coverage is very different. In the end you have a man who is dead leaving behind a family, and it always bothers me that when that man has been on TV people somehow treat his life as more valuable that janitor who left behind his family as well.

The readership doesn't "know" the janitor, therefore there is no emotional involvement with the story, therefore there is no point waxing rhapsodic on the janitor's life. To the readers, McNair's life IS more valuable, because they "know" him, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Also, this is a sports publication - the readership is male sports fans. If a women's magazine were to write about this story it would clearly highlight the infidelity and focus on his wife. I mean you sound like a conservative getting worked up about the NYT Op-ed page.

A 36 year old man who goes to a bank takes on a higher risk of being murdered than someone who turns his home into a locked fortress and does all his banking online. So what? Again, most men who have affairs, with women of any age, do not end up dead. Wives kill a higher percentage of men than do girlfriends.

Yes. Of course there are degrees of risk. Let me be clear.....Mcnair in no way deserved what happened. Nor was the final outcome the most likely scenario.
Having said that, men who are passengers in cars with drunk 20 year old drivers, and have 2 seperate girlfriends and a wife are taking on more risk than an average football player or someone who "goes to a bank".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back