PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones & Akeem Ayers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what's going on here. By Kyed's numbers, Jones had 2 of the Pats' 3 hits, 8 of the 20 hurries, and 10 of the 23 total pressures. He also would have drawn multiple flags with any competent official. So we're blaming the guy who was by far the most productive pass rusher for not doing more? How can a player be bashed this much when he was so obviously the closest thing they had to a solution?

This isn't about bashing Chandler Jones. He faced an UDFA rookie LT almost the entire game and did next to nothing. Ninkovich or Ayers didn't get his opportunity or his plus matchup.

PWP said it best: Chandler is good, but fans act like he's an All-Pro/just a step below Watt. He's not even close IMO and needs to play better if we want to win a SB.

And Ninkovich faced the rookie OT multiple times and got nowhere. So no, he doesn't deserve "a pass".

We disagree. Ninkovich is one of the best value contracts in NFL making under 4 million a year. He can defend the run, rush the passer, and drop in coverage. It isn't even his job in BB's defense to cause havoc.

my opinion is that Jones is a starting caliber DE, but not a great one. It does seem that he gets held/neck wrapped a ton, however that happens to everyone and the good ones find ways to get through them. In the colts game, on one of the manning sacks, the DE got held teh same way, wrapped around the neck, however the colts DE (I didnt catch which is was) broke through the hold and got to manning. Jones needs to do that more. I don't know if it's a strength/technique thing or not.

Didn't jones have the most sacks in a season last year, since bb took over the patriots? I believe so. He isn't a pure pass rusher in the respect he is asked to do more then just pass rush. He has to hold contain, switches to dt and de, also he was dropped into coverage against the Ravens at times. We aren't gonna EVER have a JPP type guy or a guy that comes close to that. Chandler is a very good de, but you guys ask too much out of him. No one is even close to JJ watts level. Not even a tier below.

He is our best pass rusher and always gets to the qb times in the game. You guys just expect a JPP every time and that's not realistic. No one consistently, besides watt gets over 15 sacks each season anyways. They all have mediocre years more often then not

Completely agree with the above statement. Our Oline was a huge factor in winning that game. Something that I think has been overlooked is the fact that Logan Ryan pushed T. Smith away from the hail marry that Devin knocked out the end zone.

I saw that but I think Ryan pushed Smith away after Devon tipped the pass - pretty sure once the pass has been tipped that is not only legal but is smart

Also I like Ayers but there is no question in my mind that BB wants to win games and he plays the guys he thinks give him the best chance to do that.

This isn't about bashing Chandler Jones. He faced an UDFA rookie LT almost the entire game and did next to nothing. Ninkovich or Ayers didn't get his opportunity or his plus matchup.
See, this is my problem. Where did this "next to nothing" come from? Kyed credits him with 10/23 team pressures. For he sake of an NFL-wide view, PFF gave him 10/25, with those 10 being the most total pressures of any player this week, ahead of Derek Wolfe's 9 and Cliff Avril's 8 (that included a sack). These number don't include the plays where he beat his guy and should have drawn a flag.

No, he didn't have a sack. No, he didn't have a play where he flew it and nailed Flacco half a second after the snap. But the amount of pressure he generated is being ridiculously underrated.

One person yesterday made a comment after an Arthur Jones hit that he was already having a better game than Chandler. That's just stupid.

I saw that but I think Ryan pushed Smith away after Devon tipped the pass - pretty sure once the pass has been tipped that is not only legal but is smart

Also I like Ayers but there is no question in my mind that BB wants to win games and he plays the guys he thinks give him the best chance to do that.

Logan Ryan gets beat up around here, but that one play told me alot about him being a smart situational player. I agree that Bill does what he thinks is best for the team. It just aggravates me when we leave good talent sitting on the bench when they can be used. BB even stated earlier this year that he sees Nink in Ayers. Given that he is a pretty good coach I will give him a pass.

Updates from anyone who paid close attention to Jones during the game?

The eye test shows he was better in this game, but still inconsistent IMO. Ninko was an animal.

0 career sacks in 6 playoff games now for Jones. Am I hating on him? I just want him to have a big game like the regular season, and the SB would be the perfect spot.

Cj overrated lol, Yall don't know pass rushers. You expect 5 sacks every game is laughable. CJ is more productive and better at rushing the passer and setting the edge then ayers. Watch this season. Chandler was a game changer. Ayers had a couple nice plays but not like chandler
how about finding a way to use them both.

The worst part: Pats wont resign Ayers and even if they try..... Ayers wont sign in a team to warm the bench.

I thought the pass rush was good last night. It doesn't always translate into sacks but Luck was definitely hurried and pressured and was forced to move around and alter his throws.

Jones put excellent pressure on. He simultaneously had strong contain and consistently beat the LT. I saw uncalled holds on him at least a half dozen times.

The worst part: Pats wont resign Ayers and even if they try..... Ayers wont sign in a team to warm the bench.

The reality is that we have two fine starting DE's in Ninkovich and Jones. We NEED a backup who can step in when needed. I agree with you that another team may be willing to pay for Ayers to play a more extensive role.

BTW, if Mayo comes back strong next year, the backup DE will be Collins, or even Easley. IMHO, we need to re-sign Casillas. I don't like counting on Practice Squad players like Skinner and Fleming as defensive contributors (as we did earlier this year).
=====

I thought the pass rush was good last night. It doesn't always translate into sacks but Luck was definitely hurried and pressured and was forced to move around and alter his throws.
The only stat fans seem to care about is sacks but the patriots were getting pressure all day on Luck.

I like ayers. But I can't see him back. He is gonna want money and a starting role because he is productive in that role. Maybe he stays and knocks Buchanan and bequette out.

Jones was held ALOT in that Ravens game...a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back