PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
if that is the only explaination you can come up with...then haters gonna hate, I guess....

Last year, on a crappy Cincinatti team (who's QB basically gave up), Ochocinco still had 67 receptions and averaged 12.4yrds a catch, 4 tds in 14 games. In 2009, Ochocinco had one of his better years as well.

Listen, his work ethic has never been questioned. He works tirelessly and has a desire to win like no other in the league. His route running is great and he is a reasonable deep threat...to compare him to tate, even based off of just last year, Ochocinco is clearly the better player....you think that he wouldn't excel with Brady as his QB? He has been dealing with the likes of Kitna and Palmer his entire career...

Getting Ochocinco is a no-freaking-brainer

well said. Not to mention T.O. was the primary WR and that WR rookie (or a 2nd year guy) Cinci had looked mad good and had a hell of a yr. Cinci had an overcrowded WR corps and Chad was the odd man out. Give him a REAL QB and he will open eyes w/ spectacular hands and he does frequently run across the middle of the field unlike moss.

Tate is expendable w/ the ascension of Taylor Price. Perhaps we could trade Tate ASAP for a possible 3rd:confused: he was a 2 and may flourish in a new less complex system.

if that is the only explaination you can come up with...then haters gonna hate, I guess....

Last year, on a crappy Cincinatti team (who's QB basically gave up), Ochocinco still had 67 receptions and averaged 12.4yrds a catch, 4 tds in 14 games. In 2009, Ochocinco had one of his better years as well.

Listen, his work ethic has never been questioned. He works tirelessly and has a desire to win like no other in the league. His route running is great and he is a reasonable deep threat...to compare him to tate, even based off of just last year, Ochocinco is clearly the better player....you think that he wouldn't excel with Brady as his QB? He has been dealing with the likes of Kitna and Palmer his entire career...

Not to mention - Belichick Loves the guy, and has for a long time - quotes from a sept, 2010 article

"The first time I met Chad was at USC when I worked him out there on the USC campus, because he is from California – from LA – or he was at that time. [We] kind of ran him into the ground. It was a good workout. It was very impressive.

"He was, I’d say, a little raw coming out of college but very talented and clearly he made the transition very quickly to picking up the skills and techniques and so forth that maybe he didn’t get a chance to do in college. He picked those up in a hurry. [He’s] related to Keyshawn [Johnson], so we kind of stayed in touch with him through the years there and then got to spend some time with him a couple years ago out there at the Pro Bowl.

"I like Chad. I like him as a player. I like him as a person. I like his enthusiasm and the fun he has with football, and I like how he competes on the football field. I have a lot of respect for that. [We’re] an odd couple, but in the end I think we have a lot of things in common."

Getting Ochocinco is a no-freaking-brainer

:agree::yeahthat:

I never said I hated Ocho. I just do see how he adds much value to the Pats. Just because someone does not think a player will help their team doesn't mean you don't wish them well. I just do not see how he helps the team.

Tate is expendable with the improvement of Price? Interesting. How do you know Price has improved? And, Tate was pretty good on ST's. Is Ocho going to perform return duties now? And, trade Tate for a 3rd? What are you smoking?

Last edited:
Just as a replacement for a severely underperforming player in Tate - Ochocinco is a huge upgrade over him....As Curran said on CSNNE last night - Tate is much closer to Bethel Johnson than David givens..and they need him to be Givens. Tate had 24 catches last year - 24 as a starting receiver! He is practically useless out there.

His value is in actually producing. taking attention from welker, branch and the TE's...actually catch more than 1.5 balls a game...

Im not sure how you can't see the value a proven veteran, boarderline star WR, would help this offense. Plus, you don't need to dump tate - keep him for Special teams...it isn't one or the other...

Last edited:
I actually like chad but my issue with him is will he help us vs the jets. They were responsible for 2/3 of our losses last season and there is a chance we meet in the playoffs. And if we do will he get shut down by revis AGAIN.

I actually like chad but my issue with him is will he help us vs the jets. They were responsible for 2/3 of our losses last season and there is a chance we meet in the playoffs. And if we do will he get shut down by revis AGAIN.

Chad is a possession reciever and not only can stretch the field and run some great routes but is able to catch a great amount of balls thrown in his general direction.

A 3 wideout set of Deion, Wes and Ocho? Ridiculous.

Also a Spread of Ocho, Wes, Deion, Gronk and combo of Hernandes/Edelman/Tate is unreal. Teams would die to have that kind of depth and ability.

Not. Gonna. Happen. Dillon wasn't an attention whore. Chad can't help himself, never could.

Didn't we say the same thing about Randy Moss? Despite his last year of mediocrity, Moss gave us excellent production in his first 3 years in New England. For a 4th round pick we got 1400 yards, 1000 yards, and 1200 yards of production respectively with 47 TD receptions over that time span. I don't believe that the Pats have EVER had a receiver who matched that level of production over a 3 year period.

Just to be clear I'm not unhappy to see Moss leave. I had my doubts but it turned out that BB absolutely made the right move in shipping Moss back to Minny for a 3rd round pick.

So the question is that if a Randy Moss pickup can work for the Pats in the short term, why wouldn't an Ocho Cinco pickup? For the right money, Ocho is probably the best 'affordable' FA WR addition the Pats can make at this point in time.

One holdup might be that Aaron Hernandez will have to give up his jersey number. LOL or maybe Ocho will change his name back to Chad Johnson?

Last edited:
So the question is that if a Randy Moss pickup can work for the Pats in the short term, why wouldn't an Ocho Cinco pickup? For the right money, Ocho is probably the best 'affordable' FA WR addition the Pats can make at this point in time.

Comparing a 33 year old Chad Johnson (and I think he does plan to change his name back to that) isn't even close to a 30 year old Randy Moss in 2007

Although Moss was clearly mailing it in for Oakland he still had deep threat speed when healthy, wasn't that old, and was worth taking a chance on for cheap money and a draft pick.

Johnson looks like he'd be a worthwhile addition for 5-15 yard routes but we've got that well covered. I think Tate has a better shot at being a credible deep threat than Chad Johnson at this point in time, and we'd not need to give anything up for Tate.

Personally I'd love to see what a healthy Donte Stallworth could do in a tryout. He's three years younger than Ocho, and given the several years he's been unavailable to play, might have the legs of younger player.

If Stallworth still had deep threat speed I'd be open to taking a flyer on him. He's not the best route runner but I'd say we've got that well covered.

If he gets shut down by Revis, then that's fine, since it probably means that Welker is matched up against Kyle Wilson. and Branch is matched up against Cromartie/whoever replaces him. Occupying Revis so that the rest of the offense can do damage is worthwhile in its own right.

Last edited:
Comparing a 33 year old Chad Johnson (and I think he does plan to change his name back to that) isn't even close to a 30 year old Randy Moss in 2007

Although Moss was clearly mailing it in for Oakland he still had deep threat speed when healthy, wasn't that old, and was worth taking a chance on for cheap money and a draft pick.

Johnson looks like he'd be a worthwhile addition for 5-15 yard routes but we've got that well covered. I think Tate has a better shot at being a credible deep threat than Chad Johnson at this point in time, and we'd not need to give anything up for Tate.

Personally I'd love to see what a healthy Donte Stallworth could do in a tryout. He's three years younger than Ocho, and given the several years he's been unavailable to play, might have the legs of younger player.

If Stallworth still had deep threat speed I'd be open to taking a flyer on him. He's not the best route runner but I'd say we've got that well covered.

For the New "Ocho Cinco" a major step isw necessary. He would most certainly need to change his name back to Chad Johnson and select a new # not being 85.
85 is Aaron Hernandez:cool: not "ocho cinco" A name change would speak volumes to his determination to become a PAT and work w/ a coach that he RESPECTS and has a good relationship w/.:rocker:

I'm a believer

Ocho is a deep threat in his own right. Is he a burner? No. Does he have very good hands and great work ethic and experience to boot? MOST DEFINATELY

Ocho brings w/ him Experience and a cunning ability to run and understand routes. Ocho 1 could say fits into the no name WR's TFB had when we won Super Bowls. Ocho is not in his prime, but he still is a very talented player and when given the right situation here in NE w/ a TE heavy Offense; Ocho would compliment Branch as another sure handed WR. I think I have given up on Tate. What good is speed if you cannot run complex routes to catch a pass? Chad can run any route and make catches.

Last edited:
Does anyone know Johnson's blocking abilities? He hardly looks like a ferocious blocker. That's something I'd like to have in whoever we pick up.

Chad johnson is a NO GO...repeat...NO GO.

Did you see him play the jets in the playoff game last year (or maybe the year before)? Total choke, can't catch when it's cold out apparently. Plus he's very small and wiry...can't take much of a beating. Plus he's OLD.

Plus he's also a head case...I'm sure he'll be great here...for a while, then when it gets ugly he'll fall apart, diva style. NO GO!:eek::mad:

I dont want Chad Ochocinco.Give me Santana Moss.

The problem with Stallworth is that he's all speed but he's not much of a route runner. He'll be fine on go routes but I don't trust him to be able to run every route in the tree like a Chad Johnson. The age thing is a factor but definitely overrated with a player who makes plays more with his head and route running ability than one who is entirely dependant on speed to create separation.

Lets go to the COLD HARD FACTS and compare directly what Stallworth has done and what Chad has done over their careers.

Donte Stallworth:
8 seasons in the league, best season he had 900+ yards, when he was with the Pats in 2007 he amassed 697 yards 3tds and 15.2 yards per catch. Not to mention that he fell off a cliff in 2008 and 2010 producing only 170 and 82 yards respectively. I'll have to assume he missed 2009 due to injury.

Chad Johnson:
10 seasons in the league. 7x 1,000 yard seasons. 6x pro bowl selections. 2x first team all-pro. In 2009 he produced 1047 yards and 9 tds for a 14.5 ypc. In 2010, playing 2nd fiddle to TO, Chad Johnson still produced 831 yards for a 12.4 ypc and 4 tds.

It's NOT EVEN CLOSE. Chad Johnson blows Stallworth out of the water. With his excellent route running, innate talent, ability to read defenses and make big time plays, Chad Johnson is a definitive upgrade over Brandon Tate and just about any other free agent WR we could bring in not named Rice or Jackson. Having Brady throwing the ball to Chad alone vs Palmer should boost Chad's production well over the 1,000 yard mark.

And BEST OF ALL he has professed his strong desire to be with the Patriots and has a great relationship with BB. Can he turn over a new leaf? If Dillon and Moss were able to do it, I think Chad can definitely do it as well. Winning solves a LOT of things. Chad Johnson would be a great fit in the Pats lockerroom. He doesn't have to resort to 'antics' to amuse himself unlike when he was in 'bungles' land. Winning will be all he needs. Enough talk, SIGN THE BEAST! :D

Last edited:
You guys keep saying, "Chad...for the right price." So what is the right price? It has to be something the Pats would find attractive for an old guy and something Chad would also like. Remember this will likely be Chad's last contract in the NFL. He'll want a lot.

You guys keep saying, "Chad...for the right price." So what is the right price? It has to be something the Pats would find attractive for an old guy and something Chad would also like. Remember this will likely be Chad's last contract in the NFL. He'll want a lot.

$7M over two years. He's already made 10s of millions, and he wants to win.

I don't know...he has been known to freelance his routes a bit, and disappear in bigger games. But, I think being around Belichick and Brady, he might get his act together and become the pre-Ocho Chad, it might work for about two years. But, still...I don't know.

Per PFT, Mike Brown says that they won't "reward" Palmer with a trade or releasing. That doesn't bode well for making an attempt for Johnson. It doesn't rule it out, but it's inauspicious.

Brown cites the fact that Palmer signed a contract and therefore gave them his word that he would perform it. I always find this to be a double-standard when the team can just cut the player loose. If they want him to play so badly, then they should sue him for breach of contract and seek specific performance.

All this Motley Crew needs now is

chad-johnson.jpg

he will add to this plethora of veterans on this team. He respects BB he is a WORKER. If BB can take a chance on A H who is to say we do not pursue CJ? CJ will come cheap :) no brainer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
Back