PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Tory James signed, per Schefter/Clayton/Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a good sign....We see who is the better man,wins....I have a strange feeling that Asante get traded...We are going to have a great draft...:singing: :singing: 11 days left:D

We're FINALLY picking up some depth for the secondary. I hope we continue down this path in the draft (still hoping for Nelson).

I think this is the beginning of the end for Assante, James could be a "bridge" player brought into mentor our early picks.. I just don't see the Pats overpaying for Assante, his view of his accomplishments are inflated and he will go to some second rate team and play 16 game seasons. Then go and play golf in early January.

...But I hope we draft a couple of young, talented studs who never get injured.

Those guys are WICKED expensive, though. It's cheaper to get the "semi-breakable" players and replace them if they break.:rolleyes:

Without reading through this thread, I agree with whomever said that James was a very good cornerback with the Gruden Raiders, but has significantly declined. He has a shot to make this team as a depth player, in competition with Scott and maybe Mickens, but he'll probably end up like Eric Warfield...cut at the end.

He made the Pro Bowl in 2004 (with 8 interceptions) and was an alternate in 2005. After he left the Raiders.

J D Sal

He made the Pro Bowl in 2004 (with 8 interceptions) and was an alternate in 2005. After he left the Raiders.

J D Sal

Doesn't mean he was good, means QBs picked on him a lot to avoid Deltha O'Neal, who is mediocre in his own right.

Last edited:
Pardon me if I keep the Champagne in the frig.

The signing of a CB who will be 34 next month should in no way change what should be the plan to add youth, talent, speed and size to our secondary.

I would have offered nothing more than the 11-year vet minimum, whatever that is. Plus an extra couple of dozen Gs.

If any 3 of James and Chad Scott and Hawkins and Mickens are on the 53 by Opening Day, then the FO hasn't done its job.

P.S.: Now that a vet CB has been signed, it's time to sign a vet ILB, e.g.:

Ed Hartwell
Isaiah Kacyvenski
Junior Seau
Orlando Huff
Randall Godfrey
Chris Claiborne
Carlos Emmons
James Darling
Al Singleton
Brandon Short
Ben Taylor
Wali Rainer
Raonall Smith

Without reading through this thread, I agree with whomever said that James was a very good cornerback with the Gruden Raiders, but has significantly declined. He has a shot to make this team as a depth player, in competition with Scott and maybe Mickens, but he'll probably end up like Eric Warfield...cut at the end.
i doubt that, belicheck really layed on sales pich according to his agent and he told how he would be used, he's been a very productive player, hes a vet, which is important, you dont want to throw a unproven rookie out there to learn on the job, warfiel d, scott, mickens are all min. vet players,james can earn upo to 2.7mm, which also tells you hes not just a training camp body

Pardon me if I keep the Champagne in the frig.

The signing of a CB who will be 34 next month should in no way change what should be the plan to add youth, talent, speed and size to our secondary.

I would have offered nothing more than the 11-year vet minimum, whatever that is. Plus an extra couple of dozen Gs.

While I don't think the F.O. won't have been doing its job if any of Artrell, Mickens, James and whoever else you said is on the 53, I do agree with the above. I don't know why we felt compelled to give Tory F-ing James anything more than "scale plus 10." This is not going to affect us too much, I don't think, but Tory James is the definition of a JAG and should be paid like it.

Doesn't mean he was good, means QBs picked on him a lot to avoid Deltha O'Neal, who is mediocre in his own right.
The evidence that he was good is a lot stronger than the evidence you have presented he wasn't (i.e. none)

J D Sal

The evidence that he was good is a lot stronger than the evidence you have presented he wasn't (i.e. none)

J D Sal

Left eye, Right eye, fourth team in his career, available as cheap free agent on April 17 in a market that is practically void of cornerbacks.

How's that?

I mean, really, what in my post are you disagreeing with? That he was good with the Raiders? That he has significantly declined since then? That he's in competition for a depth role? Or that he'll probably be cut?

Last edited:
Left eye, Right eye, fourth team in his career, available as cheap free agent on April 17 in a market that is practically void of cornerbacks.

How's that?

I mean, really, what in my post are you disagreeing with? That he was good with the Raiders? That he has significantly declined since then? That he's in competition for a depth role? Or that he'll probably be cut?
wheres your evidence he declined his productions lloks good, do you watch every bengal game or game tape?

I certainly would not disagree with that. If Samuel is looking to be further and further off the horizon, then we need to address the future starting corner position. This is a depth, experience, insurance policy signing.

I think in the end the DB aspect of the draft is going to come down to who do you trust long term, Samuel, Sanders, or Wilson.

If any 3 of James and Chad Scott and Hawkins and Mickens are on the 53 by Opening Day, then the FO hasn't done its job.

I would not go that far. I figure that the roster will shape up with 9-10 DBs on the 53. 5-6 younger guys and 4 vets would be my guess on the mix, with Harrison being one lock out of the 4. The other three battling being Mitchel, Hawkins, Mickens, Scott, James, Jackson, and Baker.

Scott gives you depth at both safety and corner.
James gives you depth at corner and could play in nickel or dime.
Hawkins gives you depth at safety.

All with starting experience that can get through an injury or two without throwing a guy to the wolves. Certainly better then having Spann/Moreland in there.

wheres your evidence he declined his productions lloks good, do you watch every bengal game or game tape?

You are, without a doubt, the most miserable, insecure, whiny little pissant ***** I've ever encountered on a message board. Does your life suck that badly? Crawl back under your rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tory James is the definition of a JAG and should be paid like it.
I suppose, if by JAG you mean a who went to the Pro Bowl a couple years ago.

He may not be the player he was, but my defintion of JAG does not include a Pro Bowl in the resume.

You are, without a doubt, the most miserable, insecure, whiny little pissant b!tch I've ever encountered on a message board.

So, it's obvious you've never seen my posts

Let's keep it light...

Let's keep it light...

Nah. This ***** got dressed down (politely) by myself and (a little less politely) dabruinz on the draft forum yesterday, so his response is to actively seeks out our posts so he can respond with either:

1) Where's your evidence? (Especially entertaining when we're discussing our opinions), or

2) We don't want to hear about your opinion, where's the proof? (Also used often in discussions of opinion.

I had him ignored, but I started missing the comedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are, without a doubt, the most miserable, insecure, whiny little pissant b!tch I've ever encountered on a message board. Does your life suck that badly? Crawl back under your rock.
take a deep breath, relax,this is only football, but with the amount of time spent here its way more important to you, if you dont have evidence to back up your opinions dont state them, relax take a deep breath,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News