PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Oliver flunks out of UGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the Red Skins trade was because of RFA compensation for signing someone. I don't remember who.

That sounds right. That was the rule I was thinking of.

But back on the supplemental issue, I do remember that Tony Hollings went to the Texans with one of the last picks of the second round, one that they acquired from the Raiders. So unless the rules have changed, it would seem that the interested teams actually bid a pick number, in Hollings case, the 63rd pick of the draft.

Last edited:
If Oliver runs well I would offer a 2nd, unless he is really special no way I give up a 1st rounder. As a side note I would have bid a 3rd last year to get Brooks, we would have beaten out the Bengals because they had a better record than the Patriots in 2005. Adding a big, strong, young LB who can play inside or outside would have really changed the future complextion of the LB core. A potential starting CB would have a similar impact on the secondary.

Good work by DryHeat to detemine we can use traded picks, this is an advantge for the Pats.

from Reiss in today's Globe.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../06/03/safety_is_in_a_comfort_zone/?page=full
"Supplemental punch

The NFL will hold its annual supplemental draft in July, and this year's is likely to draw more attention than in the past because of Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver.

Oliver had planned to return to Georgia for his senior season, but poor grades left him academically ineligible, so he has applied for entry into the supplemental draft. The 6-foot, 205-pound Oliver likely would have been a first-day selection had he declared for April's draft, with scouts particularly impressed by his performance in the regular-season finale against Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson (2 catches, 13 yards).

As for where Oliver will be selected in the supplemental draft, if he runs a solid 40-yard dash on his scheduled Pro Day workout June 20, he likely won't last past the third round.

Teams selecting a player in the supplemental draft lose that corresponding selection in the next year's regular draft, and clubs such as Dallas and New England -- which own two first-round picks each in 2008 -- might be more inclined to pull the trigger knowing they already have an additional choice.

Players coming out of the supplemental draft in recent years have a mixed history. The Bengals are thrilled with Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks (2006 third round), who projects to be a starter and looks like a steal, while USC defensive lineman Manny Wright (2005 fifth round) was waived by the Dolphins (three games played) and had a brief offseason stint with the Bills before he was waived again.

Nebraska offensive tackle/guard Chris Patrick (6-5, 312) has also applied for inclusion in the supplemental draft.
"

Last edited:
If Oliver runs well I would offer a 2nd, unless he is really special no way I give up a 1st rounder. As a side note I would have bid a 3rd last year to get Brooks, we would have beaten out the Bengals because they had a better record than the Patriots in 2005. Adding a big, strong, young LB who can play inside or outside would have really changed the future complextion of the LB core. A potential starting CB would have a similar impact on the secondary.

Good work by DryHeat to detemine we can use traded picks, this is an advantge for the Pats.
As we can evidently offer traded picks, if we like him I'd bid the Raiders' #3 not our #2. It's not much different in our chance but protects the slim possibility that our #2 is high next year or that the Raiders have a surprisingly good season.

from Reiss in today's Globe.
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../06/03/safety_is_in_a_comfort_zone/?page=full
"Supplemental punch

The NFL will hold its annual supplemental draft in July, and this year's is likely to draw more attention than in the past because of Georgia cornerback Paul Oliver.

Oliver had planned to return to Georgia for his senior season, but poor grades left him academically ineligible, so he has applied for entry into the supplemental draft. The 6-foot, 205-pound Oliver likely would have been a first-day selection had he declared for April's draft, with scouts particularly impressed by his performance in the regular-season finale against Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson (2 catches, 13 yards).

As for where Oliver will be selected in the supplemental draft, if he runs a solid 40-yard dash on his scheduled Pro Day workout June 20, he likely won't last past the third round.

Teams selecting a player in the supplemental draft lose that corresponding selection in the next year's regular draft, and clubs such as Dallas and New England -- which own two first-round picks each in 2008 -- might be more inclined to pull the trigger knowing they already have an additional choice.

Players coming out of the supplemental draft in recent years have a mixed history. The Bengals are thrilled with Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks (2006 third round), who projects to be a starter and looks like a steal, while USC defensive lineman Manny Wright (2005 fifth round) was waived by the Dolphins (three games played) and had a brief offseason stint with the Bills before he was waived again.

Nebraska offensive tackle/guard Chris Patrick (6-5, 312) has also applied for inclusion in the supplemental draft.
"
The Bengals are thrilled that he hasn't been arrested yet, thanking God for small favors.

Is the only way a team can get a look at a player at his pro day or can they bring them into Gillette for a visit much like they do with pre-draft visits?

Is the only way a team can get a look at a player at his pro day or can they bring them into Gillette for a visit much like they do with pre-draft visits?
The Pro-Day would be for the physical attributes, they can also schedule a private workout. They might consider bringing him to Gillette to meet with the various coaches, but that's more of a mental exercise and glad handing. I imagine if they did it would count against the 30 players they are allowed to bring in for the 2008 draft.

The Pro-Day would be for the physical attributes, they can also schedule a private workout. They might consider bringing him to Gillette to meet with the various coaches, but that's more of a mental exercise and glad handing. I imagine if they did it would count against the 30 players they are allowed to bring in for the 2008 draft.

It is interesting, I am sure there would be a double secret meeting if one did take place. They would likely want to keep the whole thing hush hush.

As for Ahmad Brooks, he hasn't been arrested yet but give him time, he may not fully comprehend the Bengals offseason requirements (2 arrest minimum).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes