PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Oliver flunks out of UGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.sbrforum.com/Headlines/NCAAF/43395.aspx

ATHENS, Georgia (Ticker) -- The University of Georgia on Thursday announced red-shirt senior cornerback Paul Oliver is ineligible for the 2007 season because of his failure to meet academic requirements.

The 6-foot, 208-pound Oliver, who had three interceptions, 57 tackles and two sacks for the Bulldogs in 2006, will petition the NFL for entry into the supplemental draft this summer.

"We'll miss him, for sure," Georgia coach Mark Richt said. "Of course, he could have made a decision to leave for the draft immediately after his junior season. He was aware there could be risks, but he decided to continue in school and get closer to his degree. His best opportunity now to continue his playing career is through the supplemental draft coming up in July."

The 23-year-old from Kennesaw, Georgia started 15 games for the Bulldogs over his three-year career, intercepting seven passes and recording 94 tackles. He may have had his best game during the 2006 campaign, when he limited Georgia Tech All-American wide receiver Calvin Johnson to two catches and 13 yards in a season-ending 15-12 home win on November 25.

Last edited:
http://www.sbrforum.com/Headlines/NCAAF/43395.aspx

ATHENS, Georgia (Ticker) -- The University of Georgia on Thursday announced red-shirt senior cornerback Paul Oliver is ineligible for the 2007 season because of his failure to meet academic requirements.

The 6-foot, 208-pound Oliver, who had three interceptions, 57 tackles and two sacks for the Bulldogs in 2006, will petition the NFL for entry into the supplemental draft this summer.

"We'll miss him, for sure," Georgia coach Mark Richt said. "Of course, he could have made a decision to leave for the draft immediately after his junior season. He was aware there could be risks, but he decided to continue in school and get closer to his degree. His best opportunity now to continue his playing career is through the supplemental draft coming up in July."

The 23-year-old from Kennesaw, Georgia started 15 games for the Bulldogs over his three-year career, intercepting seven passes and recording 94 tackles. He may have had his best game during the 2006 campaign, when he limited Georgia Tech All-American wide receiver Calvin Johnson to two catches and 13 yards in a season-ending 15-12 home win on November 25.

Could he enter the supplemental draft?

hes 1st round talent..with 0 brain

Ahmad Brooks part 2.

Doesn't look like he would have the smarts to learn a complex defensive playbook. But his on field resume looks impressive. Maybe he would be like a Vince Young kind of smart?

hes 1st round talent..with 0 brain

Ty Law is not exactly Einstein. If he understands football and the Patriots can get him for a 2nd rounder it should be considered. He was rated as a top 15 pick for 2008.

We would still have 4 day 1 picks and one of the top CBs:
2 - 1st rounders
2 - 3rd rounders

Doesn't look like he would have the smarts to learn a complex defensive playbook. But his on field resume looks impressive. Maybe he would be like a Vince Young kind of smart?

Don't forget Asante Samuel's Wonderlick scores.

Ty Law is not exactly Einstein. If he understands football and the Patriots can get him for a 2nd rounder it should be considered. He was rated as a top 15 pick for 2008.

We would still have 4 day 1 picks and one of the top CBs:
2 - 1st rounders
2 - 3rd rounders

Considering this news (his flunking out of school) if NE was interested they could probably land him for a third or fourth. I don't know if they'll be interested or not, though.

Oliver does have good size, strength, leaping ability, speed, coverage ability, and ball skills. He could have came out as a junior but decided to stay in school so he could graduate. That's a nice character trait, but his not being able to keep his grades up is a bad one. Paul was expected to be among the first round prospects in next years draft, so he could be worth a shot.
18259_223.jpg

Last edited:
Oliver does have good size, strength, leaping ability, speed, coverage ability, and ball skills. He could have came out as a junior but decided to stay in school so he could graduate. That's a nice character trait, but his not being able to keep his grades up is a bad one. Paul was expected to be among the first round prospects in next years draft, so he could be worth a shot.
18259_223.jpg

Can we the SF draft slot to draft him, if it interests the team?

I thought the Pats missed out big on Ahmad Brooks last season in the supplemental draft. The guy came from a pro style defense under Al Groh, had the freakish size and skills and played in a 3-4. He fit our system perfectly and wasn't going to be asked to do much in his first season behind Seau, Bruschi, et al.

Through the same lenses, I can't say that Oliver is as great a fit with the Pats as Brooks was and therefore worth the 3rd round bid. Corners like Oliver come around every draft and just because he shut down Calvin Johnson doesn't mean he is going to be a great corner in the NFL, just like Chris Houston shutting down Sidney Rice will mean nothing at the next level.

If he came out this year, where would you rank him...

Revis
Hall
Oliver
Ross
Houston

?

Should had taken Eric Wright if they are considering taking Oliver, but I wouldn't be disappointed in either given the volitale nature of Hobbs (IMO) and Samuel's situation.

decided to stay in school so he could graduate. That's a nice character trait, but his not being able to keep his grades up is a bad one.
18259_223.jpg

Athletes get a lot of chances to float their boat, so it is to his detriment that it hasn't happened. However, simply failing to maintain academic clearance is nary of character flaw. Many a talented folk (i.e.: Bill Gates) have shown less than stellar academic performance. His trade is physical; the means is rudimentarily based on academics.

It's a little flag, at best. Questions will be asked, answers given. Coaches know the BS factor of school just as much as they know coverage schemes. If his priorities were outlayed to football and girls, then that may well be a positive for NFLers. If he is an indignant boob, then his failure is evidence of damaged goods.

Can we the SF draft slot to draft him, if it interests the team?

I don't believe so. And it would be pretty stupid to waste a 1st round pick on a guy who just flunked out of school....

I wouldn't put more than a 5th on him...

if BB feels football is important and hes a hard worker..i can see a 3rd/4th being let up. If he feels this kid is selfish and bad work ethic and cant fit in..then forget him

I was just reading a Todd McShay article on the "08 NFL draft, and he had Paul Oliver as the sixth best playing coming out in '08. I already posted a small amount about Oliver, and I'd take a shot at landing him in the Supplemental draft.

Here's McShay's comments on Paul Oliver:

"6. Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia
Oliver is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2008 class right now. This 6-foot, 205-pound cornerback impressed me with his improved coverage skills during the second half of the 2006 season, including a tremendous effort versus former Georgia Tech star WR Calvin Johnson (Lions, No. 2 overall). Don't be surprised if Oliver emerges as a top-10 pick a year from now."

Last edited:
Are there any character concerns on this kid? To get a potential top 10 talent with a 3rd round pick (we have 2 to burn) and it would be the Pats 3rd pick which will be at the bottom of the 3rd and not the Raiders 3rd which will be at the top - sounds like a steal to me.

Are there any character concerns on this kid? To get a potential top 10 talent with a 3rd round pick (we have 2 to burn) and it would be the Pats 3rd pick which will be at the bottom of the 3rd and not the Raiders 3rd which will be at the top - sounds like a steal to me.

No, from everything I've heard he's a good guy. He just didn't keep his grades high enough to play his senior year. Oliver could have came out after his junior year but decided graduating was more important to him, so it's kind of a shocker his grades were low.

Intriguing guy with us having all those picks to burn. If we really like him (that's IF, I know little about him), we could do as high as a #2 as the #3 we get from the Raiders won't be far behind. That would turn our #3 from this past year, plus dropping a little, into what seems like an interesting talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots