PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Oliver flunks out of UGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is the supplemental draft? It's not after the season starts, right?

No, from everything I've heard he's a good guy. He just didn't keep his grades high enough to play his senior year. Oliver could have came out after his junior year but decided graduating was more important to him, so it's kind of a shocker his grades were low.

It's definitely strange. You would think that if academics were important enough to get him to stay in school over entering a lucrative career that he would be able to maintain higher grades.

It's definitely strange. You would think that if academics were important enough to get him to stay in school over entering a lucrative career that he would be able to maintain higher grades.

It's strange. Maybe he thought his grades were better, or thought he'd be able to get his grades up in time? I don't know, but considering everything he sounds like a good guy who just made a mistake in not keeping his grades up. That wouldn't keep me from offering up the Raiders third rounder in the supplemental. NE can offer the Raiders third, right?

His value will take a hit, and teams don't usually like giving up high picks in the supplemental, so a third rounder realistally should land him. I believe in the supplemental they value your pick according to where you selected during this past draft, so the Raiders third in the supplemental should be the first pick in round three?

Last edited:
Did he "flunk out" or was he simply not academically qualified? Or perhaps he got a damning "incomplete" in a class (="F")...

Often, particularly programs with recent transgressions, have minimum academic demands higher than the general student populace.

i.e: Must maintain a 2.5, 2.7, etc. A "C" is 2.0, which is usually fine. If he simply dipped below that, that's no so bad.

I don't know in this case, so I ask.

Also: In either case, and assuming he's had no agent contact/arrests/etc., why wouldn't he be eligible for the supp?

Last edited:
Did he "flunk out" or was he simply not academically qualified?

Good call:

"University of Georgia senior cornerback Paul Oliver has failed to meet NCAA academic eligibility requirements for competition this fall and plans to petition the NFL for entry into the supplemental draft this summer. Oliver's situation does not preclude him from remaining enrolled in school."
http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6534041

If he is as good as the hype I think he is worth a 3rd rounder maybe even a 2nd rounder. He would have been a top 50 pick this year and a round 1 pick in 2008. Our 2008 2nd round pick will likely be around 62-64 (in our hearts we all know it will be 64!).

He should be able to work as the 5th CB and provide insurance for 2008 when all of our CBs are FAs (Hobbs is the only one under contract beyond 2007).

I was also on the Ahmad Brooks bandwagon, a 3rd rounder for a potential starting ILB seemed cheap to me but then I forgot the Patriots don't draft LBs on day 1 (until next year when they take 2 James Laurinaitis, Ohio State & Shawn Crable, Michigan)

Good call:

"University of Georgia senior cornerback Paul Oliver has failed to meet NCAA academic eligibility requirements for competition this fall and plans to petition the NFL for entry into the supplemental draft this summer. Oliver's situation does not preclude him from remaining enrolled in school."

Did he "flunk out" or was he simply not academically qualified? Or perhaps he got a damning "incomplete" in a class (="F")...

Often, particularly programs with recent transgressions, have minimum academic demands higher than the general student populace.

i.e: Must maintain a 2.5, 2.7, etc. A "C" is 2.0, which is usually fine. If he simply dipped below that, that's no so bad.

I don't know in this case, so I ask.

Also: In either case, and assuming he's had no agent contact/arrests/etc., why wouldn't he be eligible for the supp?
Yea, I think he just didn't have good enough grades to continue playing football. I don't know what their particular standards are, though.

Last edited:
Good call:

Yea, that's what I thought. That's not flunking out of school, so the title of this thread is actually wrong. He just didn't keep his grades high enough to play football. As I just pointed out, I don't know what their particular standards are.

Last edited:
If he is as good as the hype I think he is worth a 3rd rounder maybe even a 2nd rounder. He would have been a top 50 pick this year and a round 1 pick in 2008. Our 2008 2nd round pick will likely be around 62-64 (in our hearts we all know it will be 64!).

He should be able to work as the 5th CB and provide insurance for 2008 when all of our CBs are FAs (Hobbs is the only one under contract beyond 2007).

I was also on the Ahmad Brooks bandwagon, a 3rd rounder for a potential starting ILB seemed cheap to me but then I forgot the Patriots don't draft LBs on day 1 (until next year when they take 2 James Laurinaitis, Ohio State & Shawn Crable, Michigan)

No, they are drafting Rey Maualuga next year! LOL

No, they are drafting Rey Maualuga next year! LOL

Maualuga has 'character' issues. Pats won't touch him with a 10 foot pole - well that is until he is tired of playing for a perennial loser and the Pats get him on the cheap.

IF the skills are as good as advertized, I take a shot at him with the Oakland 3rd. Not only would we be getting what would be concidered a steal in the 3rd round, we would be getting a full year's work out of him, instead of having to wait a season to use the pick. It would even be better if we could get him for the 2nd third round pick.

BTW- Interesting about Ahmed Brooks. I got me wondering how did this past year? Was he worth the pick?

Maualuga has 'character' issues. Pats won't touch him with a 10 foot pole - well that is until he is tired of playing for a perennial loser and the Pats get him on the cheap.

From what I understand Rey punched someone at a Party (back in 2005, he was 18 at the time), and Maualuga was still dealing with the death of his father at the time. Rey then received counciling for his anger problems, and his problems dealing with his fathers death. While I don't condone punching people I don't know what caused it, and I'll give him some slack considering what he's done since then (on and off the field). If he keeps it clean this year (as he did last year) I wouldn't see anything that would keep NE from drafting him. Honestly, he's got the perfect body, skillset, and attitude for NE's defense.

Last edited:
IF the skills are as good as advertized, I take a shot at him with the Oakland 3rd. Not only would we be getting what would be concidered a steal in the 3rd round, we would be getting a full year's work out of him, instead of having to wait a season to use the pick. It would even be better if we could get him for the 2nd third round pick.

BTW- Interesting about Ahmed Brooks. I got me wondering how did this past year? Was he worth the pick?

I am not sure but I think you can't use traded picks in the supplemental draft.

Brooks did ok, he played as a backup and made a few spot starts. He is expected to be a starter for the Bengals this year. They play a much different defense than the Patriots but it will be interesting to watch.

I don't think the Pats would spend more than a 4th rounder on a supplemental draftee. If you look at the history of the supplemental draft, very few players actually get picked. I'm not sure about the odds of those guys panning out, but it's probably pretty low.

Here's an article on the supplemental draft
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

Can you believe, in retrospect, that the Houston Texans wasted a high 2nd round pick on Tony Hollings? That in a nutshell, describes what is wrong with that franchise.

Hollings is now longer on the Texan's roster.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html

His gun incident may have had something to do with it.
http://www.texansrock.com/Texans-Running-Back-Tony-Hollings-Busted-With-A-Gun

I am not sure but I think you can't use traded picks in the supplemental draft.

Brooks did ok, he played as a backup and made a few spot starts. He is expected to be a starter for the Bengals this year. They play a much different defense than the Patriots but it will be interesting to watch.

Your right, Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams.

So group #1 is:
1 Oakland
2 Detroit
3 Cleveland
4 Tampa Bay
5 Arizona
6 Washington
7 Minnesota
8 Houston
9 Miami

Group #2 is:
10 Atlanta
11 San Francisco
12 Buffalo
13 St. Louis
14 Carolina
15 Pittsburgh
16 Green Bay
17 Jacksonville
18 Cincinnati
19 Tennessee
21 Denver

And the Playoff group is:
20 New York Giants
22 Dallas
23 Kansas City
24 Seattle
25 New York Jets
26 Philadelphia
27 New Orleans
28 New England
29 Baltimore
30 San Diego
31 Chicago
32 Indianapolis

Of course, in order for a team to select someone, it must have that choice available in the following year's regular draft -- and that's the pick it will give up to make the supplemental pick.

So CLeveland and the Colts do not have !st round picks next year (SF owns Indy's) so they can not make 1st round claims

Everyone has there second round picks

What is more important is that many teams do not have a third round pick:

Houston, Baltimore, San Diego, Oakland, and Denver (who will be a likely candidate for Oliver) all have traded their 3rd round picks.

Washington does not have a fourth round pick.

So if a team wants to draft Oliver, they would email the league with the round in which they wish to exercise that pick (1-7 rounds).

I could not find out how the NFL awards the player when two teams from the same group put in the same bid I can only guess it goes by the typical won-loss record tiebreakers.

So the Pats would probably have a very good shot at landing Oliver if they put in a third round bid. I doubt that they would win any tiebreakers in the later rounds.

Actually, I believe you can use a pick that was traded to you, as long as it is EARLIER than your determined slot. For example, in a hypothetical situation where the Patriots did not have their original third round pick, they could use a third round pick they acquired from the Raiders, but not one they acquired from the Colts. I remember the Redskins made a trade with the Patriots 4-5 years ago to satisfy such a requirement.

I'm not 100% on this, though. It's possible the trade I'm recalling has to do with free agent tenders or some other compensation system.

Actually, I believe you can use a pick that was traded to you, as long as it is EARLIER than your determined slot. For example, in a hypothetical situation where the Patriots did not have their original third round pick, they could use a third round pick they acquired from the Raiders, but not one they acquired from the Colts. I remember the Redskins made a trade with the Patriots 4-5 years ago to satisfy such a requirement.

I'm not 100% on this, though. It's possible the trade I'm recalling has to do with free agent tenders or some other compensation system.

Actually, the Red Skins trade was because of RFA compensation for signing someone. I don't remember who.

I don't think the Pats would spend more than a 4th rounder on a supplemental draftee. If you look at the history of the supplemental draft, very few players actually get picked. I'm not sure about the odds of those guys panning out, but it's probably pretty low.

Here's an article on the supplemental draft
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

The supplemental draft is very high risk but every now and then a gem emerges. One of the best supplemental picks was Jamal Williams from SD. The Charges gave up a 2nd round pick for him in 98.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4497

I haven't seen Oliver play but if he truly grades as a round 1 talent I would give up a Day 1 pick (Round 2 or 3).

Samuel is a big question mark, as of right now we have 1 CB signed beyond 2007 (Hobbs). Oliver could potentially come in as the 4 or 5th CB taking James's spot and then be in the mix for 2008.

He has big time potential, more upside than Gay and I would rather have a young player than CBs at the end of the road (James, Scott).

Even if Samuel is signed a CB core of Samuel, Hobbs, Oliver is a pretty solid core to build from.

From NFLDraftScout.com

" Harrison...Parade Magazine All-America First-Team...USA TODAY All-USA Second-Team...SuperPrep All-America, Elite 50 member, and ranked No. 1 player in Georgia...Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super Southern 100, Top 50 in Georgia, Class AAAAA All-State selection, and Super 11 as defensive back...Georgia Sports Writers Association All-State defensive back...CNNSI.com/The Insiders.com 1st Team All-Southeast...BorderWars.com 101 Team, #3 Player in Georgia...Countdown To Signing Day All-South first team...ranked No. 1 defensive back prospect by Rivals100.com...No. 5 defensive back by TheInsiders.com...preseason No. 1 defensive back by ESPN.com...Tom Lemming’s Top 100 prospects...recorded 65 tackles and three interceptions senior campaign...during junior season caught 30 passes for 650 yards and 8 TDs...recorded 60 tackles and nine interceptions on defense...returned four punts for touchdowns.

"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes