PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Dennard on the Secondary "Sometimes The QB lulls us to sleep"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still thinking that they should have gone after a mediocre CB signing this past March, and that they'll definitely be bringing in someone from the outside again one way or another.

On top of that, I also expect at least a couple of more draft picks at the CB/S positions too.

Until they hit on this, they will have to keep battling--unless of course, it is scheme based more than talent. If that is the case, then that needs to be explored too.

There's only room for so many mediocre corners on one roster.

There's only room for so many mediocre corners on one roster.

Lol..I'm sorry, I meant mediocre signing as more of a "middle of the road" type CB signing.

Not a big name such as Brandon Carr etc, but someone in the 3rd level or so.

It was worded poorly on my part. I went back and edited the post, but I was meaning someone like the Bodden signing a few yrs back, or someone along the lines of an E.Wright/R.Marshall form; not necessarily someone who'd break the bank, but someone who could come in as a vet and offer some potentially better skills at certain areas.

Last edited:
If our DB's are sleeping on the field, that would explain alot.

Next Sunday they might as well take some mattresses out there and their favorite teddy bear.

Lol..I'm sorry, I meant mediocre signing as more of a "middle of the road" type CB signing.

Not a big name such as Brandon Carr etc, but someone in the 3rd level or so.

It was worded poorly on my part. I went back and edited the post, but I was meaning someone like the Bodden signing a few yrs back, or someone along the lines of an E.Wright/R.Marshall form; not necessarily someone who'd break the bank, but someone who could come in as a vet and offer some potentially better skills at certain areas.

Or Tony Carter? :p

If our DB's are sleeping on the field, that would explain alot.

Next Sunday they might as well take some mattresses out there and their favorite teddy bear.

Creating obstacles for opposing teams on the field may work ;)

It'd be better than the usual "wrap them up around the waist as they make the crucial catch" approach that they often do, which usually results in either a DPI penalty or the opposing WR coming down with the ball---with absolutely no effort whatsoever at knocking the ball loose or defending the pass in any manner.

McCourty is better in coverage than Dennard is.

At this point, all that we really know is that McCourty is solid in coverage, Chung and Arrington are bad, and the jury's still out on the rest.

The Patriots have Devin McCourty. Maybe his brother has been solid in coverage. Devin hasn't been since his rookie year.

The Patriots have Devin McCourty. Maybe his brother has been solid in coverage. Devin hasn't been since his rookie year.

The ironic thing is that Jason McCourty was considered the 'dud' a couple of yrs ago, but looks like a superstar sometimes in comparison now.

I'd actually take him to be honest..I mean, in replacement. (That'll be a popular thought around here :rolleyes:)

The ironic thing is that Jason McCourty was considered the 'dud' a couple of yrs ago, but looks like a superstar sometimes in comparison now.

I'd actually take him to be honest..I mean, in replacement. (That'll be a popular thought around here :rolleyes:)

Isn't that a great experiment - two identical twins under different schemes/coaching. One progresses, the other regresses.

Anyone who says that they didn't LOL after reading this is lying.

anybody who says they don't feel like taking a massive dump after reading one of your posts is lying...

lulls them to sleep? i'm not buying it. I think it's more of a case of our CBs being frozen stiff from fear every time the ball is in the air.

Pathetic.

/10

Dennard has been one of our most solid CB's in coverage actually...I fully expect him to take arringtons starting spot this upcoming week

He's a rookie. As such, he's prone to say dumb things from time to time.

I don't think the kid is lying... after all, if you look at the secondary and the way play.... it DOES look like they're all asleep as balls are thrown their way. :rolleyes:

I think someone need to tell our corners not to play the run, at all, ever. Just assume they are going to go deep on you. That's it.

As much as we blame the coaches, Belichick (the GM) has to take some blame, too. Given how many DB draft picks he has BLOWN (IE: nobody else in the league wanted their dumb asses, either), there should be a question of how well he knows DBs.

Never mind the fact that a bunch of his DB picks have been reaches (McCourty, Ras-I, Tavon, the putrid pairing of Wheatley and Wilhite) and you have to start questioning his ability to evaluate that position. Hell, even his free agent signings (aside from Rodney) have been for ****, too.

As much as we blame the coaches, Belichick (the GM) has to take some blame, too. Given how many DB draft picks he has BLOWN (IE: nobody else in the league wanted their dumb asses, either), there should be a question of how well he knows DBs.

Never mind the fact that a bunch of his DB picks have been reaches (McCourty, Ras-I, Tavon, the putrid pairing of Wheatley and Wilhite) and you have to start questioning his ability to evaluate that position. Hell, even his free agent signings (aside from Rodney) have been for ****, too.

Plenty of people here have blamed Belichick for the blown DB picks.

I can't believe many here took what he said literally.
Obviously he or any of the other DBs are going to sleep.
So what did he mean?

I would expect as a DB you are watching the QB for any indication of what
he is going to do. If you can detect something then as a DB you might
get an advantage. No player can maintain a state very very
high anticipation for very long. But when you know the ball is coming your
way all sensors are in overdrive. Anyone who has played sports knows
this.

If the DB sees the QB making a gesture that seems to indicate the ball is
going elsewhere then there a natural momentary reduction in heightened
attentiveness. Not a big reduction but certainly not the very high state
if the DB knew the ball was coming his way.

I think Dennard was trying to express this situation as "lulling to sleep" and
that sometimes QB does things to try and to induce this natural reaction
in DBs.

Fans throwing Dennard under the bus probably never played sports much.
I'm sure BB would know exactly what he was talking about and probably
he or one of Dennards coaches even used the phrase "lulls to sleep" and
Dennard was just repeating it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back