Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Cap Friendly" WR's

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by He Ban Me, May 2, 2007.

1. He Ban Me

He Ban Me Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have read on a few threads about the "cap friendly" nature of all the WR signings. Does anyone care to recap (or can they point me to a thread) these signings, and what kind of cap hit you expect in the years beyond year 1 of these contracts?

I ask because it sounds like some of these guys could be 1 and done. If Stallworth, Moss, Welker, et al have great years, are you worried that the WR corp will have to start over again in '08?

2. solman

solman Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its easy to negotiate a new contract when you can afford to let the player go.

We may have four or more receivers whose contracts expire (or have to be renegotiated) at the end of the season. But if we can afford to let two of them walk, it will be much easier to negotiate deals with the other two.

3. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Welker would not be one and done. His contract is solid for three years at least.

Stallworth has a big roster bonus in 2008, followed by reasonable salaries. He is either one and done, or here for the long haul. It all depends on how he does. Ditto Washington.

It is hard to get worried. Whatever happens we'll be better off than we were last year. And lots of WRs come on the market every year. I wish we'd grabbed Stallworth last year.

4. zippo59

zippo59 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Apparently we tried but New Orleans wanted a linebacker in the trade and we didn't have one to give.