Can we talk about the fake kneel down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Happened so fast I didn't even know what was happening but went back and watched the end of the game last night
Patriots vs. Falcons | Super Bowl LI Game Highlights (doesn't look like this gif will post, click on the link)

3l0xZR.gif

Very cool play, I'd love to see a fake kneel down pass. Been waiting forever to see us try a fake kneel down.

That play was closer than it ended up. I liked it. At that point in the game all stops were off. If any of the front blocking linemen had turned around or slowed down the chasing D linemen it would have made that play much more interesting.

That's the sort of play where it blows my mind that the Patriots have prepared for and practiced for a situation like that.

I mean, it's like the coaches are sitting around in July saying... "hey, don't forget we need to put a play in the playbook in case we are in the Super Bowl tied with 3 seconds left heading for overtime.... ideas?"

Yeah I loved that play. I saw them get into formation and thought "Why are they ending regulation? Taking a hail Mary here would be low risk and could win the Super Bowl!" So I was pleased when they tried to make something if it. If it had worked it would have gone down as one of those individual iconic plays that deserves its own name, like The Catch.

Now that you've brought this up I can't wait for the coaches film to come out on game pass. I want to see how much room he had downfield. I'll post some screenshots here when I can.

It's pretty funny to think about, like Brady would be running that 60 yards lol. Obviously in the heat of the moment you gotta cover that but funny to reflect on.

We can talk about it. Wouldn't change much of anything as it didn't score a TD to win the game and bled the rest of the clock out sending the game into overtime.

i rewatched this play a few times today. it actually has potential but dion winds up sandwiched between his blockers and the edge pursuit from behind. i think he could have just committed and hit the gap he did have a bit harder, because if one or two of the upfield blocks had developed a bit faster he had a lot of open space in front of him and he's fast as hell. but then again i bet bill just told him, if its there great but don't force anything.

Would have been nuts if it worked, people seeing the formation and getting up to go to the bathroom or get a beer and come back and seeing the confetti.

there's a couple of funny plays in there

ive watched the 4th quarter 3 times today.

malcolm mitchell's curl grab for 11 and a 1st during what i think was the scoring drive at the end of the 4th was another one. if you rewatch it, its actually defended pretty well but mitchell slips. the defender is looking down at him when the ball is delivered and mitchell manages to get up quick enough to haul it in - i think if he doesn't slip that ball potentially gets picked, the coverage position was good, it actually worked in our favor.

also on that same drive, brady really made a couple of dangerous throws into coverage. the edelman catch obviously but the throw to edelman in traffic a few plays earlier could both easily have been picks.

the football gods smiled on us on sunday in a big way.

it would have been pretty spectacular if that fake kneel had worked though, it honestly looked like it could have.

I've always wondered why teams don't fake spike and kneel more often. Didn't Marino throw a td on a fake spike years ago? The defense usually switches off completely.

Great play. No risk high reward.

Now I want to know why our guys keep getting caught up in the turf. Happened like 5 or 6 times.

Have the runner be Edelman instead of Dion and then give him the pass option.

Re-watching that, you really have to credit #91 on Atlanta for immediately pursuing Lewis at top speed. If he hesitates at the LOS or doesn't go all out, Lewis has a chance to cut back to the middle of the field and who knows what happens then. On the other hand, the defense was caught more off guard by WKU and that play didn't result in a TD.

Can anyone explain why the clock continued to run after the delay of game when ATL was punting at the end of the third quarter (3 sec left in the quarter). I would have expected it to stop after the penalty. Otherwise, teams could just run out the clock by continuing to take delay of games.

It's just funny watching Brady run lol

Can anyone explain why the clock continued to run after the delay of game when ATL was punting at the end of the third quarter (3 sec left in the quarter). I would have expected it to stop after the penalty. Otherwise, teams could just run out the clock by continuing to take delay of games.

When a penalty is committed on a running clock outside the last 2 min of the first half or the last 5 min of the 2nd half the clock winds when the ball is spotted.

Yeah when Brady does it, it's a punk move but when Rodgers pulls it off, it's genius that he and only he alone can pull off in NFL history :rolleyes:

Not sure why :

A) You don't try a hail mary.

B) Free kick like that Rams SF game a few years back.

C) Guess its moot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference