PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we now recognize Ninkovich as our MVP or atleast DPOTY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchmaster617

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
He is 4th on the team in tackles behind the two ILBs and Chung, that is impressive. Now he is second in tackles for losses, something we can use at any time given the state of our defense. (Tied with Wilfork, one behind Cunningham)

He leads the team in takeaways most importantly, this is what has got us playing so well and helps shadow the struggles of the defense. (He has 2 INTs tied for first, and 2 FR leading the way, 2 more takeaways than the next guy down.)

His clutch performance in Miami not only brought or road woes to a close, but he turned this team around mentally, sure he might not be a first round athlete but he is responsible for turning us from that 2-1 team that barely beat BUF to an unstoppable machine, shredding the league at a 4-0 pace for the top record.

If the Pats go 15-1 meaning 13 straight wins off his stunning play would he be considered? Without his team leading takeaways our corners would be in a lot of trouble.

No.

Vince Wilfork, Devin McCourty and Jerod Mayo are all ahead of him.

Not a knock on Ninko, though.

He DOES remind me alot of the last guy who wore number 50 for us.

Awesome, weeks ago we had, "Ninko is the worst starter in the league." Now we have the polar opposite and equally as bad thread.

He has certainly exceeded my wildest expectations, but my vote would be for Mayo at this point. Not only for his play, but for quarterbacking a defense that keeps getting better and better as the season goes on.

Mayo and it isn't even close.:cool:

Ninko has impressed...... keep getting better and better. BB has a crush on you and rightfully so.:p

Mayo, Wilfork, McCourty are all definitely ahead of Ninko. He has had a solid season, and continues to contribute every week

If he wasn't on this defense you think we beat SD, MIA, or BAL?

We are looking at a 3-4 team without him around, Mayo is a good choice leading the NFL in tackling but how much is that on him and not the front line getting owned by the offenses line?

No.

Yep. What players like Ninkovich really deserve is a new category: BSOY, biggest surprise of the year.

As remarkable as the rookies' contributions have been, we all have stars in our eyes over rookie potential and never really know what to expect from them. The real surprises are the guys you thought you knew as quiet veteran depth who suddenly step up to be a lot more.

1) Mayo
2) Wilfork
3) McCourty
4) Nincovich
5) Chung

are worthy of best defensive player thus far

In that EXACT order

We are looking at a 3-4 team without him around, Mayo is a good choice leading the NFL in tackling but how much is that on him and not the front line getting owned by the offenses line?

What do you think our record would be with no Mayo?

...that's actually kind of a funny sentence, heh.

He is 4th on the team in tackles behind the two ILBs and Chung, that is impressive. Now he is second in tackles for losses, something we can use at any time given the state of our defense. (Tied with Wilfork, one behind Cunningham).
MVP ... No! However Ninkovich does make you forget about the 2009 versions of Adalius Thomas and Derrick Burgess!

No doubt we lose 2-3 without Mayo and I'm not trying to mislead people but he has given the ball back to Tom more than any other defender. Pats need every TO possible with the offense losing TOP week after week.

So I guess it's back to my other question, if we roll through the league and he continues to produce should he be considered?

Love Ninkovich, but yeah MVP is a stretch.

Mayo is the man!

He's probably tied for the team-league in missed tackles as well. Fumble Recoveries should not be attributed to the player as they are more or less right-place-right-time type of deals. FORCED fumbles are better. His 2 INTs were in 1 game.

He's definitely playing fairly well but not close to MVP or DPOTY for the Patriots defense (Mayo).

Last edited:
If there was a MVP category for a Pats Player on D, Mayo hands down, he is playing out of his mind.. he is just getting better and better along with taking charge(remember all the mindless banter about how this team had no leadership)...

Behind him are a very solid Wilfork, Merriweather, Spikes,McCourty, Chung and Ninkovich but Mayo is able to play at such a high level because of these other guys playing well..

Last edited:
Mayo and it isn't even close.:cool:

Ninko has impressed...... keep getting better and better. BB has a crush on you and rightfully so.:p

The only reason guys like "no big plays" Mayo and Nichovich look like they are having a great season is because the D Line is playing so much better than last year when Ty and Wilfork were playing injured and the RDE spot was a sink hole.

If the D Line stays healthy and Deaderick continues to improve, then the whole back 8 will continue to jell and get better.

:D Nope, not even close. I'm glad that Ninkovich is contributing though. That position has needed people to step up. So far we've got contributions from Ninkovich, Brown, Fletcher, and Cunningham on the outside and that sure helps. TBC, I think actually still plays for us? This is a no name defensive unit but it is getting better every week and the talent is there to compete. I'm pretty excited about the way this team is heading. Lots of upside!

No.

Not a knock on Ninko, though.

He DOES remind me alot of the last guy who wore number 50 for us.

This sound right to me. I would also add Chung to the list. Ninko was been a great surprise, I just think the aforementioned guys have been better.

I was a fan of Ninko when others were calling him STINKO!

He always hustles, gets good pressure on the QB.

He's slow though. At least on some of the plays I've seen him on.

wtf? There are at least 5 other players on the defense that you could make that argument for, and more credibly. I love what Ninkovich has done for the Pats, but he's not even close to the best player on the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents