PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Lions not pick @ #1? Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
An interesting concept was floated in the Detroit media last week proposing that the Lions could pass when they are on the clock and then jump back in later and take Stafford or another player a little further down to save money. That would be within the rules, although a huge embarrassment to the NFL. Can you imagine all the buildup to the draft and the Lions pass? But it would save money.

New York Daily News

I don't know what to say about this??

An interesting concept was floated in the Detroit media last week proposing that the Lions could pass when they are on the clock and then jump back in later and take Stafford or another player a little further down to save money. That would be within the rules, although a huge embarrassment to the NFL. Can you imagine all the buildup to the draft and the Lions pass? But it would save money.

New York Daily News

I don't know what to say about this??

This had been covered before and the whole Byron Leftwich situation back a few years ago. I do not think this would really save them money as Matt Ryan received the biggest contract with the most guaranteed money last year and he went #3 overall.

There is nothing to say. It's a non story hyped by the media. The Lions will pick #1 (unless they trade down). They won't pass.

Also, the Lions are in the unique position of negotiating with a player for weeks before the draft until they get a player who wants to play for what they want to pay.

There is nothing to say. It's a non story hyped by the media. The Lions will pick #1 (unless they trade down). They won't pass.

i think its a good idea, but only if they are eyeing a certain position and they could care less who they get. for example, if they wanted either Sanchez or Stafford, OR, Monroe or J. Smith. They could pass until one of those players is selected, then as soon as that happens, they can pounce on the other player. makes sense to me

You're only asking for a holdout if you do this. You would do this if you coveted a player but thought you could get him lower in the draft. So good luck telling his agent he was the 3rd pick in the draft when he should've been the 1st.

i think its a good idea, but only if they are eyeing a certain position and they could care less who they get. for example, if they wanted either Sanchez or Stafford, OR, Monroe or J. Smith. They could pass until one of those players is selected, then as soon as that happens, they can pounce on the other player. makes sense to me

I guess they want to save $$ id they can. Just is a bit odd to me but than again; this is the Lions.

I recall this being brought up in another thread recently and I seem to recall these points:

• If the Lions want to move down a spot, they should be able to get something - even if it is nothing more than a 7th round pick a year from now - in exchange with the next team (Rams), or something better than that from another team for trading down further.
  • As mentioned above, there is no guarantee that the player picked is not going to hold out; his agent will argue that he should still be paid as if he was the number one pick. I believe that is what happened to the Vikings when they missed that pick in the draft a couple years ago.
  • Apparently the way the rule works the Lions could conceivably slide more than one pick. If the number three team gets in line at the podium ahead of the Lions, then they get to make that pick. Not sure if that is how it really works but I do remember reading that somewhere.
Bottom line is that based on past history this is a high risk/low reward strategy. The team may lose the player it does want; the player is going to be expected to be paid the same; the team may end up not saving any money; and there is an increased chance of a holdout.

Edit; here's that other thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/225808-draft-question.html

Last edited:
I recall this being brought up in another thread recently and I seem to recall these points:

• If the Lions want to move down a spot, they should be able to get something - even if it is nothing more than a 7th round pick a year from now - in exchange with the next team (Rams), or something better than that from another team for trading down further.
  • As mentioned above, there is no guarantee that the player picked is not going to hold out; his agent will argue that he should still be paid as if he was the number one pick. I believe that is what happened to the Vikings when they missed that pick in the draft a couple years ago.
  • Apparently the way the rule works the Lions could conceivably slide more than one pick. If the number three team gets in line at the podium ahead of the Lions, then they get to make that pick. Not sure if that is how it really works but I do remember reading that somewhere.
Bottom line is that based on past history this is a high risk/low reward strategy. The team may lose the player it does want; the player is going to be expected to be paid the same; the team may end up not saving any money; and there is an increased chance of a holdout.

Edit; here's that other thread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/225808-draft-question.html
They'd also look like f*cking idiots - they need to use this pick to get good publicity and build momentum, not look like morons who are so unsure that they can't pick and pay the right guy.

Yes, the Lions can allow the clock to run out and make the Rams pick at #2. However, whoever the Lions draft, their agent will make the argument that their guy is would have been the #1 pick. They will ask for #1 pick money, which I find a very dumb argument because they weren't picked #1. That means that Jerod Mayo's agent should have asked for #7 money because the Pats originally had the #7 slot in 2008.

Last edited:
Yes, the Lions can allow the clock to run out and make the Rams pick at #2. However, whoever the Lions draft, their agent will make the argument that their guy is would have been the #1 pick. They will ask for #1 pick money, which I find a very dumb argument because they weren't picked #1. That means that Jerod Mayo's agent should have asked for #7 money because the Pats originally had the #7 slot in 2008.

Right, and the Lions have the option to tell the player to screw, and sit out a year.

In that case, the player sits out a year, can't play college or NFL, and most likely gets drafted a whole lot lower the next year, costing him millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes