BYE Still Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I got bored and started reading ESPN's power rankings -- and evidently we own a tiebreaker against Baltimore, because they made the statement that with a couple of losses (presumeably Indy, who has a tiebreaker against us head-to-head, plus Baltimore), our boys get a week off.

Anybody know whether we or Baltimore takes the tiebreaker, if they lose this week?

PFnV

We are out of the race for a bye. San Diego has the bye and if they win HFA. Baltimore gets HFA if they win and SD loses. Otherwise they compete with Indy for the second bye. If Baltimore wins it is theirs. If they lose and Indy wins it's Indy's. All we can do is move up to the 3 seed if we win and Indy loses.

AFAIK no. I think we lose the AFC record tiebreaker to Baltimore no matter if they win or lose. :(

Either way I disagree with a lot of folks around here who seem to want to rest our guys.

I'd much rather have Indy come to Foxboro for an AFC Champsionship game than vice versa.

Moreoever I don't think it's ever good for a team to lose games going into the postseason. I've often read players remark that even the outcome of preseason games are important to the team as a whole. I believe it when they say it too. Look at what happened to Indy last year. Granted their situation was more severe since they had two meaningless games at the end of the season followed up with a bye meaning something like 27 days without a meaningful game of football. Still I think the point still stands that the risk of injury is not worth the risk of upsetting momentum.

Last week was the first truly encouraging signs our team has shown of being able to reclaim their 2003/2004 form. Efficient playcalling and high percentage pass options. Let's build on that, not pull the breaks and yank our starters.

I thought that WAS the case as well...until I heard some of the talk on ESPN last night..they claimed that the Pats could get the bye IF indy and Baltimore lost AND the Pats won...even the CBS Playoff race insider stated that on Dec 18th....
"New England can clinch a first-round bye if they win out to get to 12-4 and Baltimore loses one game and Indy loses two games. "
The Pats have won one..INdy has lost one.. Baltimore COULD lose...so what the heck has changed???
I am NOT sure what to think...from THAt scenario it IS still possible..so I am confused..

Baltimore wins the tie-breaker with us based on a better conference record. If Baltimore would have lost to the Steelers last week, then we would have a chance. Since they didn't, they now own the tie-breaker.

Baltimore wins the tie-breaker with us based on a better conference record. If Baltimore would have lost to the Steelers last week, then we would have a chance. Since they didn't, they now own the tie-breaker.

Figures the Squealers have to show their true colors this year. :(

Figures the Squealers have to show their true colors this year. :(

Well, I've always maintained that their colors are black and yellow, not black and "gold" as their fans claim.

Well, I've always maintained that their colors are black and yellow, not black and "gold" as their fans claim.

Well, those are "yellow" towels they are always waving....

What you are suggesting is that Indy would lose to Miami and then win the next two against Denver and Baltimore or San Diego. If Indy loses to Miami, I don't think that they are going to the Championship Game.

Either way I disagree with a lot of folks around here who seem to want to rest our guys.

I'd much rather have Indy come to Foxboro for an AFC Champsionship game than vice versa.

Moreoever I don't think it's ever good for a team to lose games going into the postseason. I've often read players remark that even the outcome of preseason games are important to the team as a whole. I believe it when they say it too. Look at what happened to Indy last year. Granted their situation was more severe since they had two meaningless games at the end of the season followed up with a bye meaning something like 27 days without a meaningful game of football. Still I think the point still stands that the risk of injury is not worth the risk of upsetting momentum.

Last week was the first truly encouraging signs our team has shown of being able to reclaim their 2003/2004 form. Efficient playcalling and high percentage pass options. Let's build on that, not pull the breaks and yank our starters.

Well, those are "yellow" towels they are always waving....

Actually they start out white towels at the beginning of the game. But I will say this -- lines for the bathroom aren't bad at all when you play Pittsburgh...

thought that WAS the case as well...until I heard some of the talk on ESPN last night..they claimed that the Pats could get the bye IF indy and Baltimore lost AND the Pats won...even the CBS Playoff race insider stated that on Dec 18th....
"New England can clinch a first-round bye if they win out to get to 12-4 and Baltimore loses one game and Indy loses two games. "
The Pats have won one..INdy has lost one.. Baltimore COULD lose...so what the heck has changed???
I am NOT sure what to think...from THAt scenario it IS still possible..so I am confused..

Ditto on being confused this year. A lot of scenarios could still play out,and the only thing we're sure of is the division.:bricks:

Even ESPN had it that way...ACTUALLY on NFL.com it has ALL the possibilities of both conferences..ALL played out...FIGURES that some DO NOT have it right....NFL.com...

I agree. We're just getting healthy and playing well right now.

In addition, a win could get us in the #3 hole and a visit from the Jets as opposed to the Broncos...

Play to win!

If we open up a big lead, then give them their rest...

I shake my fists at the football gods and wonder - if only Brady hadn't slipped, if only the Pats had installed Field Turf earlier, aarrggghh! That hideous Jets loss is our undoing for a bye, and it has garnered the doughboy royale props as Coach of the Year (pardon me while I choke on my Flutie Flakes)!

Many others said the same thing I did at the time - the Jets loss will come back to haunt us BIG TIME!!!!! Instead of playing for a bye and something like a 50% better chance of making the SB, we are musing about how much time Cassel will see. You think the season comes down to a few games? How about two plays??? Brady slipping and falling in the fourth, and his most awful INT, thrown 10 feet astarboard of a wide open Maroney. I'm not blaming Brady, he's the very reason we even have a chance at the SB, it is just the pain of seeing the truth revealed in two tiny, fleeting moments that torments me - make two plays, just two seeemingly minor plays and your entire season can be different.

Oh the agony !!!!!!!!

I shake my fists at the football gods and wonder - if only Brady hadn't slipped, if only the Pats had installed Field Turf earlier, aarrggghh! That hideous Jets loss is our undoing for a bye, and it has garnered the doughboy royale props as Coach of the Year (pardon me while I choke on my Flutie Flakes)!

Many others said the same thing I did at the time - the Jets loss will come back to haunt us BIG TIME!!!!! Instead of playing for a bye and something like a 50% better chance of making the SB, we are musing about how much time Cassel will see. You think the season comes down to a few games? How about two plays??? Brady slipping and falling in the fourth, and his most awful INT, thrown 10 feet astarboard of a wide open Maroney. I'm not blaming Brady, he's the very reason we even have a chance at the SB, it is just the pain of seeing the truth revealed in two tiny, fleeting moments that torments me - make two plays, just two seeemingly minor plays and your entire season can be different.

Oh the agony !!!!!!!!

I feel your pain.

At the Jets debacle, I was sitting in the front row at the 45 yd line. I yelled out "Kraft! Fix your field!" The Security Gestapo came over and asked me to shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST