Brush With Greatness - I Can't Stop Smiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Coolidge Corner - Saturday morning:

My brother and I were just parking his car on a side street when I looked up and saw a man in a faded Patriots t shirt, baseball hat, curly hair and a mustache and remarked that he looked a lot like Ernie Adams. My brother looked and said Omigod that IS Ernie Adams. I wSnt sure, so my brother jumps out of the car and yells "Ernie! ". Sure enough, out of the few people walking the street, HE turns around and we both see, yup, it is him. My brother then is on the spot for what to say next and fumbles for "Congratulations" while I blurt out ""You're the man!". (yeah, not exactly Stanley meeting Livingston, but I had just been on an overnight Amtrak train from D.C. And had no sleep).

Of course, Mr Adams simply said "thanks" and continued on his walk. We didn't want to invade his privacy any more but do regret not attempting a selfie with him.

Honestly, there is no one else on the Patriots organization I would most want to know about more than the mysterious Ernie Adams. His is one of the weirdest stories in sports history and a real template for brains over flash.

We both felt like we had just seen the Loch Ness Monster.

For me (and I realize I am in a distinct minority on this) meeting Brady or Belichick would not be as exciting.

Hilarious that his Patriots t shirt is severely faded - I have several in much better shape I could loan him!

Last edited:
I really wonder how many times he gets recognized. I only ever saw him on that coaches special after the 2014 SB win.

My brother and I were just parking his car on a side street when I looked up and saw a man in a faded Patriots t shirt, baseball hat, curly hair and a mustache and remarked that he looked a lot like Ernie Adams. My brother looked and said Omigod that IS Ernie Adams. I wSnt sure, so my brother jumps out of the car and yells "Ernie! ". Sure enough, out of the few people walking the street, HE turns around and we both see, yup, it is him. My brother then is on the spot for what to say next and fumbles for "Congratulations" while I blurt out ""You're the man!". (yeah, not exactly Stanley meeting Livingston, but I had just been on an overnight Amtrak train from D.C. And had no sleep).

Of course, Mr Adams simply said "thanks" and continued on his walk. We didn't want to invade his privacy any more but do regret not attempting a selfie with him.

Honestly, there is no one else on the Patriots organization I would most want to know about more than the mysterious Ernie Adams. His is one of the weirdest stories in sports history and a real template for brains over flash.

For me (and I realize I am in a distinct minority on this) meeting Brady or Belichick would not be as exciting.

Hilarious that his Patriots t shirt is severely faded - I have several in much better shape I could loan him!

giphy.gif

"Thanks, guys."

:)

Very cool. Must be something in the air this weekend

My daughter's U10 soccer team played Brian Scalibrene's kids team in Needham yesterday.

He was out there warming up the team, playing with his kids on the sidelines.

He's goofy looking but clearly enjoys being a family man.

I'm so done with this season. I have 3 who play plus the two older ones run track . Scal only has one that plays and the others are toddlers.

Last edited:
My brother then is on the spot for what to say next and fumbles for "Congratulations" while I blurt out ""You're the man!". (yeah, not exactly Stanley meeting Livingston, but I had just been on an overnight Amtrak train from D.C. And had no sleep).

God damn it! You had the chance to solve the mystery of "Pink stripes" and you blew it! Blew it!

:D

I met Ernie at the David Halberstam book lecture/signing years ago. Pretty unassuming fellow. He did let me try on his Super Bowl ring.

Surprised that you lived to tell about it.. *LOL*

Great story!

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little funny that he wears a Pats T-shirt in public? It's like Robert Plant wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt on a jog.

I met Steve Grogan once... He was kind of a douche....came into my office to drop off a bid and was not friendly at all, wasn't even courteous...perhaps he was having a bad day, but my fondness for him when down 1000 notches after my 5 minute interaction W him...

Great story!

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little funny that he wears a Pats T-shirt in public? It's like Robert Plant wearing a Led Zeppelin shirt on a jog.

No one knows who ernie adams is though - most ppl will think he's some middle aged pats fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back