PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi reacts to Vrabel trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You hate reading that... but I don't think a comment like this from Bruschi has the same impact as it would've had 5-7 years ago. The defense is a lot different and quite a bit younger, and I don't think they'll hang their heads over one trade for too long.

I think Bruschi is completely correct - the team has changed immensely, and it's the end of an era.

We won 3 SBs from 2001-2004, and 0 from 2005-2008 (albeit with one near miss). Much as I admire them, Harrison, Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau and Colvin aren't going to get us any more rings.

I think we are at a watershed. Hopefully, when we look back, we will see the 2005-2008 Patriots as a transitional state between the 2001-2004 team and the 2009-2013 team (which I hope to see win at least 2 SBs). Their experience has taken us as far as it can, and their abilities are only declining more and more. We need to move forward, and I think that BB has finally reached the point where he will be ruthless about it.

Bruschi is exactly the kind of mentality you want on the field. Loves the game, gives you 110%, plays with as much heart as anyone. He is not the kind of guy you want running the front office though. For the Patriots to remain successful year in and year out, you have to have a significant amount of cold hearted, bottom line mentality. Other posters had mentioned, some weeks ago, that Vrabel might now be worth measurably less than his cap space. I think that sentiment was just validated by the Patriot FO. As great a "Patriot type player" Vrabel was and is, he was on the downside of his career (maybe he turned down a restructuring?). I think the FO made a bottom line decision based on cap value. The worst thing a FO can do, from a purely business stand point, is keep beloved players at money that exceeds their performance. I think we just saw the Patriots acting out that belief. Good luck to both Vrabel and Cassell. BB was exactly right when he says these guys are easy to root for. And I am glad that guys like that are headed to a team headed up by Pioli (versus the Cowboys, for instance).

The Patriots now have money and lots of picks in the high value area of the draft. Whether you like the trade or not, the future potential success of the Patriots just became considerably more likely.

I understand Bru
I miss Vrabes
But face facts, the lack of Rings the last couple years has been substantively due to the collapse of a once formidable D to a 'good' D. Time for a new generation of players.

Miss ya, Vrabes and thanks for everyting. Great guy. Good luck in KC.
Tedy, enjoy your last season, hopefully one with a closeout ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back